SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,

We are proud to announce the new Scorpius Universal LC.

What is it?
A wireless (WiFi and BLE) board that runs off 8-20V AC or DC in any polarity. It has circuit protection on power in and oit.
It can drive 1 or 2 solenoids and 1 trackside accessory like a light.
It can replace a standard Scorpius, SDD, Carrera or Oxigen LC board in their respective native environments.
It can be installed on timber or plastic track systems.
Can be used as lapcounter if using Scorpius Race Management System.

How do you install it?
Drill two 3mm holes 12mm offset to left of centre of slot. Snip off the Scorpius and Carrera flylead options.
Fit the second photodiode on the flylead as supplied and install under centre of slot for SSD compatibility.
Fix to underside of track using Blu Tack. Ensure the Scorpius beacon and Carrera sensor show line up with your pre drilled holes.
Solder 2 power wires to rails or similar source.
Connect solenoid driver wires.
Install in Lane changer to change lanes.
Install at start to count laps.

Is it configurable?
Yes by proposed app. You can adjust solenoid power, gate opening time, gate delay, unique ID 1-32

Who would find this useful?
Anyone building any timber track based where Scorpius, SSD, Carrera or Oxigen operating system is in place.
Anyone wanting track telemetry info based functions.ie pit functions.
Anyone wanting to use the Scorpius RMS
Anyone customising SSD or Carrera LCs.

Can it be used as a lapcounter?
Yes if using Scorpius RMS and dongle.

When will it hit the market?
Mid 2020.

Can it be used in conjunction with the soon to be released Scorpius ultra thin flipper assembly?
Yes.

Do I need to switch between brands?

It will auto detect Scorpius, SSD, Carrera and Oxigen cars and operate accordingly.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds good, Rick, can it be used on a routed pit lane, powered by SSD, with 6 boards, each working with 1 only ID from 1 - 6. Thereby creating a pit lane with 6 no. splitters to pit bay, one for each car ID and only for that ID?

Best regards

Ian

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andy.
It can do that precisely using SSDC race software.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Minardi,
You may have forgotten but I asked could this be included in RCS64. Im not sure I understand your question 100% in short it gives pit lane entry and exit detection and individual pit bay detection so the car ID and location ID are sent.

I think RCD has the software in place. And PC Lapcounter wouldnt say no to upgrading to accept this.

There are already people using this for years. Its currently called Locator Pro.

·
novice jazz player &
6,480 Posts
hi Rick,

This all looks very exciting... and so I am keen to seek clarification on a couple of points within the proposed spec...

1/ How many Scorpius universal LC boards will be required to implement a universal function on an SSD XLC which has two full LC channels i.e. two photosensors and four solenoid drive circuits? I am guessing two boards?

2/ Also, the reference to wifi capability is very interesting and may offer compatibility across to the ARC PRO powerbase and app for full pitting. Can you confirm whether standard wifi protocols (i.e. 802.11) will be included in this universal LC device? If so that will be extremely interesting.

Many thanks in advance,

C

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi DrC
The unit drives the sprung flipper scenario ala Carrera, Ninco, Scorpius (and Oxigen?). Its a easier, more compact and cheaper way to go for new installs. Good to for hybrid analogue tracks so the flippers stay in position.😊

To convert a SSD LC to sprung takes a few minutes. The unit will come with a suitable spring and instructions how to install.

It of course can be used with Arc Pro, or the app.
Protocols will be available to RMS or app writing team.

·
Prof I T
11,174 Posts
Hi

Rick, I think you mean it will work like this when used with ssdc, locator pro can do pit in and out sensing when used with ssdc, then the individual pit bays will only have one id assigned to them ?

The id for pit bay locator will be configured by ?, I only ask as far as I can remember ssdc is setup for pit in/out sensing , s/f line and sector timing maybe , I don't think individual pit bays are available by the ssdc software, this could be done with the help from Andy.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Ade,
Individual bays? If Andy didnt include and people want all the fancy pit functions we offer a solution.
That is to employ SULCD to count laps as mentioned and use the Scorpius RMS. It has everything you can imagine in pit functions,
On the RMS set up page every SUCLD (Ill come up with a better acronym soon) can be allocated to whatever function, id pit lane entry, pit lane exit, pit bay entry etc.
If using Gen II car chip you can use our PEARL function so your car nice automatically guides itself into your pit bay

If Andy is keen to add this in then please do.

·
novice jazz player &
6,480 Posts
Thanks for clarification re compatibility with SSD LCs - sounds good.

It of course can be used with Arc Pro, or the app.
Protocols will be available to RMS or app writing team.
Yes, but unless I am mistaken non of the current nRF devices handle wifi 802.11 protocol so if you want wifi and shockburst you need two separate rf chips... surely thats not the plan?

C

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Dr.C,

The concept is based around the new Gen II chip which has BLE and Scorpius RF (Shockburst).

The unit could send lap requests in BLE (apps) or WiFi (Scorpius dongle).

Then theres SSDC, RCD (Race coordinator for SSD) and SRMS (Scorpius RMS) which support this right now.

RCS64 is welcome but I believe their development has stopped.

Our upcoming Scorpius app could be made universal for any brand as well.

Rick

·
novice jazz player &
6,480 Posts
What is it?
A wireless (WiFi and BLE) board...
OK so its not a wifi board... but it can talk to something that has wifi capability - that makes sense :)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,

For those who may not have seen it, this is the Scorpius RMS track set up page that goes hand in hand with the Universal Lane Changer (If using Scorpius RMS)

The RMS is not required for most functions, ie operating a solenoid on any system.

Firstly each Lane Brain is configured on the app or PC to give it a unique ID. Maybe do a quick sketch of the track and note down what LB is what.

Next go into Track Set Up and click the ID you want to configure. Click the drop down menu and choose one of many different ways it can be used.

Click update. That's it. The cars send the updates in real time of what LB it last triggered so the RMS knows one hundred times a second the status of every car and lane changer. From here the RMS carries out its functions as programmed.

As you can see LB 4 is configured as a pit entry. Speed and the RMS pings you. LBs 5-12 handle pit bays 1-8. LB 13 is pit exit. The RMS now knows not to ping you for speeding in the pits. Left to right and right to left assist in Smart Car functionality. LB is just any lane changer, single or double. LB 0 is kept for lap counting.

Attachments

Reactions: gersonfer

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks awesome Rick,

Will be interested for sure when available.

Are you also able to have some settings to cater for smaller pit lanes?

ie 2 Bay (1,2,3 or 1, 3, 5 IDs in one bay, 4,5,6, or 2, 4, 6 in the other)

OR some kind of check box table so you can assign any combination to allow or disallow etc.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking this only yesterday.
Ill look into it

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RolloverDJ we will implement specific cars for specific bays. Right now however you can share bays at will.

Rick

Reactions: Shift
1 - 20 of 21 Posts