SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,

A map showing Scorpius comms. It includes the new proposed products, app, wireless car lights, wireless start lights and Car Decoder Gen II.

It shows 19 lots of two way comms paths.

Rick

Attachments

Reactions: John Clinch

·
novice jazz player &
6,460 Posts
Good luck with the developments. Any chance of adding some smart power management capability to handle power overloads? I cant see any reference in your above diagram?

C

·
novice jazz player &
6,460 Posts
Enjoying looking at the Scorpius roadmap... will the new smartphone app require its own dongle for nRF shockburst? or will it communicate over BT? if BT then presumably the main pc dongle and each throttle controller would need to be nRF dual mode? Is that all part of the upgrade plan? Quite a complex system... good luck.

C

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Doc,

Power overloads are handled nicely by the power supply I use. If that's what you mean....

The system will have all functions available by BT and nRF(Scorpius protocol).

I don't expect much for car control with Bluetooth for more than 2-4 cars. I expect the dongle will be the weapon of choice.

BLE will be perfect for firmware upgrades and reflashing.

Yes its all part of the master plan to set complete Scorpius Generation II by end of 2021 and it should see us out to the end of the decade ie 2030. By then technology would have given us more tools to go even further.

Connecting app and PC will be tricky because Im already asking the app to receive controller info AND relay this to car AND receive car telemetry.

The RMS will either be the app one or the PC one but not both at once.

Getting app screen to a nearby monitor or PC would be best done on a separate unmanned smart phone that is dedicated to simply receiving car telemetry and passing it on to the PC. Each would need the dongle.

The map has an error or two. But you get the idea. App to PC for example would be via dongle not direct to PC as drawn.

Rick

·
novice jazz player &
6,460 Posts
Thanks Rick, great to see all of the ideas evolve into plans then products. It all looks very exciting... wishing you and your team all good wishes with next generation Scorpius!

C

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Actually thinking about it to get the app off the ground a bit quicker I think I should concentrate on RF using the dongle and forget BT for now. Any new products could be flashed from PC like normal, and then later put into the app then later again BT options offered for DFU (For those wondering what DFU is...….Device Firmware Upgrade....Wireless)

Even controller to car via app could turn out problematic and spoil the party. This is the so called fun of development:) You just don't know.

Rick

Reactions: Dr_C

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Doc,
Power overloads are handled nicely by the power supply I use. If that's what you mean....

The system will have all functions available by BT and nRF(Scorpius protocol).
I don't expect much for car control with Bluetooth for more than 2-4 cars. I expect the dongle will be the weapon of choice.
BLE will be perfect for firmware upgrades and reflashing.

Yes its all part of the master plan to set complete Scorpius Generation II by end of 2021 and it should see us out to the end of the decade ie 2030. By then technology would have given us more tools to go even further.

Connecting app and PC will be tricky because Im already asking the app to receive controller info AND relay this to car AND receive car telemetry.

The RMS will either be the app one or the PC one but not both at once.

Getting app screen to a nearby monitor or PC would be best done on a separate unmanned smart phone that is dedicated to simply receiving car telemetry and passing it on to the PC. Each would need the dongle.

The map has an error or two. But you get the idea. App to PC for example would be via dongle not direct to PC as drawn.

Rick

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rick,
What do you think about to put all PC functions , including the RMS System in a docker system. Then we can run it on a raspberry PI that has a lot of connectivity ( BLE, nRF, wifi, MQTT for telemetry, etc)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have to weigh up the advantages versus effort/cost. Maybe you could elaborate?

Rick

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I asked this question to talk about future improvements. These are prospective ideas with no cost commitment at the moment, as I believe you have already outlined your script for this decade. Someone has already said that in this entertainment industry, you need to forget about problems for a while and dream a little. So let's go:
The advantage is an accelerated development of parts of the platform through collaboration.
As I understand slot car fans choose Scorpius because it is the system that comes closest to the world 1:1. But these Scorpius fans, most of the time, have a lot of accumulated experience. They like to make their own adaptations and can contribute ideas to bring the hobby closer to world 1: 1. I clarify here that I am not included in this experienced group and that I have been distant in terms of experience and knowledge in the slot car world for years compared to average. We spent hours creating scenarios around the track with the desire to reproduce the 1:1, but on the track, at the time of the race, nothing changes. There is an opportunity to contribute within the track. It is necessary to speed up the development of the technical part using the technologies and knowledge that already exist and work very well in other areas (automation for example). It would be great to capture a lot of information about the track, cars, inventories, use of the flippers (how many times has this flipper been triggered? Shouldn't it come out of this position?) And let the fans work the data the way they want. The community could contribute to the development of plugins that, together with Scorpius RMS, would improve the piloting experience. Plug-ins that can accumulate pilot performance data on track and comparison parameters. Open platforms, such as Raspberry PI, in addition to portability, are known to be adept at rapid development. In addition, such a computer costs less than a basic analog car and can be easily connected to multiple monitors or other devices through wifi, nRF, BT, BLE, mqtt, etc. Little needs to be done in terms of hardware, but in terms of software, a lot can be done to improve the experience of use on the race. For example: someone can develop a plug-in in phyton, javascript or C ++, in the RMS backend, that mimics the sound of the car engine in a specific car model (Lola, for example) and transmits it to the headphone of the pilot. A smartphone app can be developed by a fanatic to inventory the cars in the collection, using a barcode or a cell phone camera, saving time by passing data to the Scorpius RMS to register drivers in a specific last-minute race. But does it matter only to fanatics? Yes, because it would be the fanatic himself and his friends who would make this development in contribution to the community. Scorpius engineers were able to focus on the core and open the periphery of the RMS to contribute ideas. But for that, the Scorpius RMS platform would need to have a coupling model. The benefit ? In a short time, the community would develop its own ideas to be linked to the platform, some commercialized, others free, but all in the Scorpius ecosystem. Time would tell. But that was just bar talk.
In time: I read that you opened part of the Scorpius code. I really like the programming and I would like to know how I can access the code that was open to the public just to better understand the subject. I've read all the Scorpius topic here on the forum, but I would like to understand the guts better.
Thanks for listening.

Gerson

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Gerson,
You have PM

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Gerson,
Just re-reading your post definitely there is room to add luxury items. Dont worry it was all planned since 2006, except the app which came out in 2007. Our current hardware projects are part of the plan, to have an app that can be continually upgraded and around 10 other new functions added as you would probably have seen in the Generation II car chip thread.
The functions that relate and add to A total experience will be onboard throttle curves, throttle manipulation for simulations, lights and tacho.
Do we need to know how many times a flipper is used? We can almost do that now as each time a car passes any lane changer it sends telemetry back to the PC using a program called Scorpius Car Data. It will tell you what car passed what LC in what lane and wether it requested a lane change, sector, throttle and brake pwm.
It even records what time each event happens. 100 per second. We would just need to add one extra column for counting. So if you wanted to write a simple or complex plug in all the data is right at your fingertips right now.

Sounds, see our wireless surround sound system thread. We only need a program to fade sound from one speaker to the next using car telemetry and distribute each sectors sound to the appropriate channel (speaker).
Next was going to be function of the RMS but now the app (or both) that is a Bluetooth headset with any rms info you require.
In future a heads up screen/visor could be employed once that tech becomes available and affordable.
Lots to do.
Lots to explore.
As I said recently we are only at the very beginning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im looking forward to having some form of automatic car identification database either in this release or the next so I can record lap times for the individual car and individual driver to see the best lap for each combination of driver and car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts