SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 1170 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi All.
The Lane Brain project has grown and changed and grown since first announced. Next there was an interface (Race Base), then V-Dash, then wireless, routed application, flipper assembly, then making the chip compatible to other brands.
So Ive decided to roll all threads into just one now the projects direction has been re-established.
The total concept project is best described by breaking down into sections:

Scorpius
A proposed totally new DC or AC based 16 channel wireless digital slot car system that can run on most digital and all analog tracks.

Wireless controller
Called the Smart Controller this is the brains of the entire system and basically is a wireless controller with all the aux box type goodies on board. It will use Hall sensor technology. It is like a powerbase without the power. It will have a screen and run on batteries. It sends its commands straight to the car (or PC if needed). It will incorporate throttle manipulation programs, track call, ghost car, kiddies mode, pit stop commands etc

Wireless car chip
A new robust 3 amp 20V unit that can be changed to suit Scorpius, SSD, Ninco or Carrera at the press of a button. This is a universal chip and a major breakthrough in compatibility issues. With the Scorpius Smart Controller and Scorpius Chipped car you could run on any analog (with brakes) and most digital systems.

Wireless Lane Change board
Still called Lane Brain, it will be for now DC based not AC and will be converted to wireless to reduce set up time and costs. It has live flipper function, anti collision, race modes and about 15 other functions. See Lane Brain post for more detail.

Wireless USB dongle
This allows more complex programs to be operated from your laptop, and the method in which you download the latest firmware to Lane Brain, Smart Controller or car chip

Flipper assembly
Simply a custom made flipper assembly for SSD or Scorpius systems. Possible to make a Ninco/Carrera version too.

Routed track application
The system is made with timber routed track in mind, with the Lane Brain and Flipper Assembly especially designed for timber routed tracks.

SSD DC Conversion.
A simple way to gets as much trouble free power as you require, no need for MSS mods, no more digital glitches.
Simply put a switch on + and - between PB and track, switch off power from PB, connect say 15V DC PSU to rails.
You will of course need Scorpius Wireless Controller and at least one Scorpius car chip and its that simple. If you want to run just SSD chipped cars turn your DC PSU off and turn SSD PB back on. Even with an entirely based SSD system you can stiil run a Scorpius chipped car on it in conjunction with a Scorpius controller, and it will still change lanes, record laps, etc.

Will post more as project develops. Next step is to make at least 3 wireless cars/controllers for more testing/racing.
Cheers
Rick

Reactions: John Clinch

·
Registered
290 Posts
wow! this is really comming along, i think im gunna need a trip to the bank for a loan to buy all this stuff

·
Ewan McKen
1,448 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 11 Nov 2007, 08:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Scorpius
wireless digital slot car system that can run on ... all analog tracks.

At last, Digital that sounds interesting.

·
Doilum
975 Posts
Boy, you don't hang about!

I'm eager to see how this develops. The proposed compatability of this system is excellent. The SSD DC switch idea is a brainstorm, and the ability to run Scorpius chipped cars wirelessly, on a track set up for SSD(AC)digital, is a huge bonus for those with existing systems. However, I think the benefits of the wireless/DC system would win out in the end and the SSD PB power to rails would remain switched off.

I'm not sure why the lane change board (lane brain) needs to be wireless, if it is being triggered by the car's LED? But I am sure you have an excellent answer. Is it feeding information back to the computer/smart controller?

I would have thought that keeping all the race control information centrally (PC/laptop) based would have kept the wireless-controllers from getting overcomplicated, and kept both production and retail costs down, but I presume, looking at the direction you are going, that this must be more difficult than it appears.

15V DC on the rails, sweet.

Just let us know when you are going to take pre-orders.

P.S. Those flipper sections are spot on, I'm already trying to figure out whihc ones would be suitable for my (planned) circuit.
P.P.S. Love the name: Scorpius.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds like the way Digital should be! Although I race analogue, everyone I race with does analogue, I've been following digital discussions with interest. I really hope this works out to expectations, best of luck, I'll be lurking in on developements!

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (chief32s @ 11 Nov 2007, 23:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not sure why the lane change board (lane brain) needs to be wireless, if it is being triggered by the car's LED? But I am sure you have an excellent answer. Is it feeding information back to the computer/smart controller?

I would have thought that keeping all the race control information centrally (PC/laptop) based would have kept the wireless-controllers from getting overcomplicated, and kept both production and retail costs down, but I presume, looking at the direction you are going, that this must be more difficult than it appears.

Hi Guys and thanks for the comments.
Chief, Lane Brain has a lot of possible functions that operate through a PC, example recording throttle info. Also the thought of cables everywhere annoys me.
The advantage of going from controller straight to car is that its quicker and more reliable. All car functions will be from the controller. The LB speaks mainly with the PC. Obviously with everything wireless we have options as the project advances as all modules can speak to any other module. Example a lane change would be a signal from controller to Lane Brain, but a drivethrough penalty would be initiated from a software program on the PC, example PC tells Lane Brain to switch offending car to pit lane.
Now we have a solid grounding to go ahead now with a total concept. We have all the design finally, Lane Brain 75% complete, wireless prototype running, all the rest has a plan. Another advantage is my electronic engineer lJohn Huberts loves the project, and is a genius in my opinion. He has knowledge in hardware, firmware and software. He has been using digital wireless for 2 years now in another project and is totally confident it can in fact cut it.
Anyway Ill just keep plodding along.
The beauty of this project now is that you need just one controller and a few chips to get started in DC/AC digital racing. Lane Brain optional.

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Rick,

This is sounding better and better all the time. I like the fact that you're planning to encorporate routed tracks. I love the thought of a custom digital track that's not made of plastic. Along with Reckless, I too will be lurking with great interest in further developments.

Cheers,

Todd

·
Registered
830 Posts
These ideas are fantastic :)

Thank you for summarizing the various threads - just this morning, I was reading the latest Lane Brain posts and wondering how it all fitted together with each other and the current SSD!

Scorpius - great name

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rick,

Many great advancements
, which seem to close the gap between analogue and digital forms of racing and the need for two separate systems (please correct me if I have misunderstood).

Couple of questions:

What is the voltage drop across the chip? (0 would be nice)

Would multi-lane racing (e.g. 4 be possible)?

Best of luck in this project.

Scorpius

Regards
Pino

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (chief32s @ 12 Nov 2007, 06:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent Rick, my apologies for asking dumb questions. You and John keep up the good work.

As they say only answers are dumb, never the question.

QUOTE (tossedman @ 12 Nov 2007, 08:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Rick,

This is sounding better and better all the time. I like the fact that you're planning to encorporate routed tracks. I love the thought of a custom digital track that's not made of plastic. Along with Reckless, I too will be lurking with great interest in further developments.

Cheers,

Todd

Hi Todd,
I dream of routed digital, but I have to be patient. I even have my track plan ready to route! But need the plastic track for testing=(

QUOTE (Nigel Pendrigh @ 12 Nov 2007, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>These ideas are fantastic :)

Thank you for summarizing the various threads - just this morning, I was reading the latest Lane Brain posts and wondering how it all fitted together with each other and the current SSD!

Scorpius - great name

Hi Nigel,
Yes it was getting a bit messy, decided to tidy it all up, still I know its hard for everyone to get the jist of every point. Any questions just ask

QUOTE (ferrari @ 12 Nov 2007, 09:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rick,

Many great advancements
, which seem to close the gap between analogue and digital forms of racing and the need for two separate systems (please correct me if I have misunderstood).

Couple of questions:

What is the voltage drop across the chip? (0 would be nice)

Would multi-lane racing (e.g. 4 be possible)?

Best of luck in this project.

Scorpius

Regards
Pino

Hi Pino,
I think there will always be a voltage drop, I guess we just tweak up the PSU to compensate.
Any amount of lanes and cars is possible, although I think 3 is a nice number of lanes for digital.......
Im glad every one thinks the name is ok, the logo could read "Scorpius.......digital slot system with sting!"
Its actually a constellation of stars.
I hope to have 3 cars up and running within a few weeks, ill know more then.

Cheers
Rick
Ricke

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was thinking more on the notion of being able to use the same car on an analogue track with no disadvantage (voltage wise) to your opposition. Probably of minor importance to 100% digital aficionados but very attractive to those who wouldn't mind swinging both ways
&#8230;something to consider if at all possible in some magical electronically kind of way.

You seem to have all other bases covered...you know you can do it

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Not enough words to say how brilliant this all is, and how you are boldly going where no manufacturer would dare to tread.

Phenominal,

You saw it all here first folks. P.S. I hope you got a patent application in before you went public. I can see you retiring on the royalties!

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pat. Pending

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 12 Nov 2007, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pat. Pending

Hi Rick,

excellent work - but, indeed, what about the patent - meaning the Hornby one related to using a coded LED for car-to-track communication ?

I thought I could invalidate that, since I suggested it (albeit uncoded) in a thread on SCI in 2003 , as a mod to the first SCX system - but then I realized that the Hornby patent was filed in 2002

Then again, Carrera are using the same principle ...

Ciao / Beppe

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ferrari,
As it stands you cant race a Scorpius chipped car on an analog track against an analog car (because Scorpius needs 12V all the time) unless you do the following.
Basically if you had a 2 lane analog track you could tape up say lane 1's hand throttle to full and place a Scorpius chipped car on lane 1 and keep lane 2 as per normal with analogue controller and car. And of course the chip soaks up a volt or two so one way would be to have seperately powered lanes as some tracks already do and up the supply on Lane 1 a volt or two extra to compensate and use two identical cars to adjust the power so its just right. Not a perfect solution, really one extra PSU and a rubber band. But it would be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Hi Xlot,
SSD uses frequency via LED, we use code instead.

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Injectorman I've said it before and I daresay I'll say it again..

..you're a madman!

This mad plan of yours is getting weirder and wackier every day.

Brilliant stuff!!

1 - 20 of 1170 Posts