SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I know it's the time of the year for miracles to happen... still they come as a pleasant surprise - and yes, as usual they come from the (far) east ;-)

And following your own star... i wonder what King Ninco, SSD and Carrera will offer: gold, incense and myrrh? ;-)

Way to go Rick, i'm a close reader of your explorations. Not to mention seriously interested in your findings.

Merry Xmas to you - and merry Xmas to all Slotforum members :)

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello all,

Summer holidays are over, children back to school, us parents back to work. In short... the slotvirus is coming to me when autumn is nearing. So what's a man to do in such circumstances? Go visit this forum and catch up :)
I took the effort of completely rereading this topic, and it took me two evenings to fully digest it - however, with a perfect bottle of Cantarranes Reserva anno 2000 at hand, it's quite a treat indeed (it's almost empty now).
Some highly personal views after reading all of Rick's efforts and developments:

1) this system promises to blow away all existing digital slotracing products on the market. Nothing comes near when regarding the concept, the versatility, the cross brand usability, in short: the quality. I dare to say if all turns out as it's designed, it's got to be the definitive breakthrough for digital slotracing at last.

2) This cannot remain to be neglected by the established manufacturers like Scalex, Ninco, SCX or Carrera. If in any of these company's boardrooms there's someone around with the brain capacity exceeding that of a vegetable, as well once in a while having payed a visit to this or other forums (fora?), he or she must have noticed the potential of Rick's concept.

3) Hence, I suspect something's going to happen in this respect. No idea if it's what Rick would be wishing, but a major player stepping in might not be a surprise to me. It's that i'm just an architect, good at designing but knowing my limits when it comes to doing business - otherwise i could imagine a serious business proposal. But maybe (hopefully) Rick has it all planned and fully in hand. I do hope for him - as for the slot-admiring people all over the globe - this will turn out a prosperous effort for him indeed :)

Now to my own digital slotracing future plans. As i've read in this thread, the beauty lies in the versatility of Scorpius. Let me explain my own situation: dedicated home racer, occasional 4 to 8 people coming over, joining me for a holiday of fun and racing. Owning an old yet reliable analogue slottrack system (Fleischmann) yet it's very easy to connect to standard Ninco track parts, due to equal track size/dimensions.
So, how wild is the idea to digitize this old track by means of Scorpius? Not so exotic i guess.

Now comes my question for Rick, to check if i've read the whole lot correctly and understood fully:
What would i need to set it up for my conditions?
I figure as follows (correct me if i'm wrong please):

A) Analogue (existing 4 lane track):
- 4 Scorpius car chips to be placed at the track, between PSU and track
- 4 Scorpius throttle controller chips
- 4 (Parma) digital controllers to be fitted with the Scorpius controller chips
Result: analogue yet wireless slotracing. Lapcounting the existing way (pc based led detection system). Any analogue car will run this way.

B ) Hybrid:
Ninco PB, Ninco LC's. Scorpius chipped cars, Scorpius chipped controllers. So in my case, i'd have to buy at least:
- 1 Ninco Kit Digital (40202) incl. 2 LC's and PB, yet throw away the useless Ninco chips and controllers
- 8 Scorpius car chips
- 8 Scorpius throttle controller chips
- 8 (Parma) digital controllers to be fitted with the Scorpius controller chips
Result: digital wireless controlled racing. Lapcounting the labourious Ninco way. 8 chipped cars can race this way.
Power: through the Ninco PB or, if desired, through separate PSU. The Ninco PB remains required for the lapcounting, pit function etc.

C) Fully Scorpius:
Scorpius chipped cars, Scorpius chipped controllers, Scorpius track dongle, Scorpius pc dongle, Scorpius LB. So in my case, i'd have to buy at least:
- 2 Ninco LC's
- 8 Scorpius car chips
- 8 Scorpius throttle controller chips
- 8 (Parma) digital controllers to be fitted with the Scorpius controller chips
- 2 Scorpius USB dongles (ok i could do with one, i've read the post about alternatively using one for programming and for pc functions)
- 4 (?) LB's (1 SF/lapcounting, 2 to modify the Ninco LC's, 1 pit lane entry
- PC software
Result: Fully Scorpius based digital wireless controlled slotracing system. Lapcounting via PC, as numerous other functions will go via PC. Power via separate PSU.

My last question regarding option C): Did i understand correctly that in case of option C), i could do with unmodified Ninco LC's? Or is the use of a Scorpius LB mandatory for use in the Ninco LC when in use with Scorpius only (and without the Ninco PB)?

I hope i've understood it all correctly, and I'm welcoming corrections to my assumptions :)

Late summer greetings from Holland

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ahh, the freeslotting discussion :)
Still a lovely idea. That would be the true slotracing kind - keep in the slot for normal driving, getting out of the slot to overtake or to find the ideal driving line.
I think it can be done, but well, the work...

One complex device in the car - on a simple standard existing track - versus - a simply chipped car but with - when ideal driving lines come into play - many LC's to be built in the track.

Then again (back on topic), the freeslot concept would not have to interfere with digital slotracing as Scorpius proposes.
Simply imagining myself a track with LB driven LC's - to be driven on by chipped cars.
The not so near future day a freeslotting car would appear on the track, just drive on, on that same track :)
Use the LC's for convenience, and the in-car changing slot device for finding the true ideal racing line - or to overtake where there's an opportunity but no LC to take advantage of.

Rick, one question: any news about how the developments are going? I'm curious, seriously i'm saving money for this :)

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 21 Aug 2008, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>(...)And I cant wait to use this in anger! (As they say)

Heheh :) These words made me remember a famous nautical development. When in the early years of the 20th century the all big gun Dreadnought was introduced in the British Royal Navy, this type of warship caused a shipbuilding revolution. As my stiff upper lip english nautical history book stated:
"HMS Dreadnought never fired a shot in anger, but her appearance made all existing battle ships obsolete overnight."

;-)

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I was also thinking of the former mentioned analogue possibilities. For starters: Just hook 4 chips on an analogue 4 lane track, get 4 chipped digital controllers and there you are, wireless analogue racing.
And, from what i've understood, when the PC dongle comes to play it gets even better. With this feature, and one LB under the SF line, Scorpius can do PC based lapcounting, and in the software all kinds of setups are possible: lower voltage on a lane (kiddie mode), controller setup, race scenarios.
And, correct me if i'm wrong, let's think about an analogue track with built in pitlane (so analogue double lane LC's). I suppose this can be modified to a Scorpius-directed pitlane by the push on the controller button, fuel function, etcetera. Am i right in this?

And all this can be expanded to full Scorpius later on, for slow/shy starters - just remove the track chips and put them in the cars, add LB operated LC's and there you are, you've digitized your existing track.

In short: I can't wait to explore this versatile system :)

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Rick, count me in. I fully support your Scorpius concept, and i'd be happy to convert my analogue system to it :)

Though i have some questions.
The money is no issue, but what i'm wondering about: Is it a sort of payment in advance, to start things up on your side?
One time 200 AUD per member, for a duration of 3 years?
200 AUD would make in Euros... err... google google... about € 115. That's fine with me.

But what i want to know: is it to be seen as a payment in advance for my orders to come? So i can pre-order the needed components for the max of that sum?
Or is it just a sum to be payed, literally a membership fee - which you use to develop, test, manufacture etc. the goods - and in return for that, you ask a lower/member's price for the components i'd like to order later on?

I'd like to know, for i guess i'd be spending at least 3, 4 times that amount of money when i'd Scorpius my system.

Greetings

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Forgive me this blond question, but in a sudden state of Korsakov i somehow forgot how the car tells the LB it wants to change lane.
It must be somewhere in the earlier 40+ pages, but maybe you have the quick answer ;-)

Was it... by RC signal? So i push the button, controller tells nearest to car LB that my car wants to change lane?
or... led detection?
So in short, how does the changing lane procedure actually work, car-controller/LB wise?

Cheers

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Sounds almost sci-fi to me Rick :)

Uhmm, sci fi, Hall effect, pot, Hal... pod, H.A.L. .... *off topic, a famous quote from Stanley Kubrick's 2001, a space odyssee*..

"HAL do you read me, HAL?"
"Affirmative, Dave, I read you."
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
"What's the problem?"
"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."
"What are you talking about, HAL?"
"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."
"I don't know what you're talking about, HAL?"
"I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen..."

Imagine my throttle controller talking to me that way one day ;-)

*End of totally off topic intermission*

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Track power question here.
I'm considering buying a new psu for my analogue track. At the moment I have 4 unregulated psu's, one per lane, giving a fixed 14 V at 1.5 A. Quite sufficient for my home layout and for the usual unmodified Scaley/Ninco/AutoArt/Carrera cars we're racing with.

What would be best when buying one new psu to cover it all, with my future Scorpius implementation in mind?
I figured: Depends on how many cars you want to race with, and what your demands are. Mine are not too high, but i don't like power surges of course. We will race with 4, 6 cars max, never more. Say 2 A per car = max. 12 A psu. 10 A might go as well i guess.
I can buy a fairly priced unregulated 13.8 V / 10 A psu here in my local shop. But i have no idea how much current around 4, say 6 LB's would draw if I hook them up as well? Would 12 A suffice in my case?

Merc

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Not to forget, speaking from experience of having a large home layout:
- It's nice to be able to move about a bit, just enough to get a better view on a specific corner that's not too visible from a static driver's spot.
- second i notice time after time on our home layout, in a race: people go for a deslotted car and forget to put away the controller - until the overstretched wire makes them aware :)
Wireless, I look forward to it!

Merc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts