SlotForum banner
601 - 620 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Count me in. This project is too good and too important.

I am searching for the most realistic scale motor racing experience. I've thought a lot about this, and don't think I can ever get there with any of the current products offered by the major manufacturers.

Fight the good fight, Rick!

Brian

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Thanks Brian,
So far so good, Ill just keep plugging away =)

HOW DOES A SCORPIUS CAR CHANGE LANES?
Instead of sensors in track and LED in car, we have reversed it, ie LED in track and photo diode in car.
The Lane Brain constantly transmits its ID, up to 64 LBs can be used.
When a car passes over the LED, the cars photo diode picks up the code and tells the PC where the car is.
If the LC button on the controllers happens to be activated at this particular moment, ie when car reads LB's ID, then the controller sends a lane change signal to the Lane Brain. All this happens in milliseconds. The flipper moves and the car changes lane.
HOW DOES A SCORPIUS CAR REGISTER LAPS?
Same principle as changing lanes. The Lane Brain (Lane changer electronics) has an LED embedded in track. As the cars photodiode picks up the LB with a Start/Finish line code, it sends car ID to PC to RMS program.

34, 35, 36 members!

Cheers
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
Hi Didier,
The photodiodes are just 3mm type on a fly lead with heatshrink wrap over solder. They will be hardwired direct to board. The fly leads should be around 450mm long. Any longer you will have to lengthen yourself.
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
Hi Andy,
The track LEDS can simply be wired in series to add more for sliding cars, all thought of =)

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 18 Sep 2008, 03:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Andy,
The track LEDS can simply be wired in series to add more for sliding cars, all thought of =)

That's the great thing about this whole project - so much has been thought of that it makes the commercial guys look somewhat inadequate! I've been following this thread more or less from the start and it's basically stopped me buying into any other system - why bother when I can wait for this!
Anything I do is going to be pretty small scale, but Scorpius will definitely be my way into digital. I'll consider subscibing to the "club" idea, but will have to weigh up the potential savings on what is likely to be a relatively small order over the two years.
All the best though, this deserves success!

·
Registered
253 Posts
QUOTE (BentleyBoy @ 20 Sep 2008, 04:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the great thing about this whole project - so much has been thought of that it makes the commercial guys look somewhat inadequate! I've been following this thread more or less from the start and it's basically stopped me buying into any other system - why bother when I can wait for this!
Anything I do is going to be pretty small scale, but Scorpius will definitely be my way into digital. I'll consider subscibing to the "club" idea, but will have to weigh up the potential savings on what is likely to be a relatively small order over the two years.
All the best though, this deserves success!

Best thing to do is to get a group of you together club or not and build a track or two. wood/plastic doesn't matter, Then you will have shared the cost and you can then all buy indivdual cars and controllers as you want, remember these cars will also run on analog as well so they can be used at any track.

This is what we are doing, I am building a routed wood track and a couple of guys want to buy their own cars to run on it so I will invest in the project and they will pay me a share towards this and then they will get the discounts when they buy through me, I think I can attract more people this way and then a second third track will pop up etc

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
Yup around $500 spend is the break even point.
Bentley Boy you have PM.
37, 38 members.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
Basically its all Scorpius components using SCX track and lane changers. Remove powerbase. Connect PSU direct to rails. Add PC and wireless dongle. Uses PcLapcounter like SCX does

Cheers
Rick

601 - 620 of 1170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.