SlotForum banner
621 - 640 of 1170 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
HiGuys.
Just a re cap on the types of flippers that will be available, all sorts for all different radii track and lane changer lengths.
The diagrams dont come out too well but you get the idea. Later you will be able to print, cut out with scissors and see which flipper best fits which LC. No chance of getting it wrong this way.

Cost $8AUD ea. if purchasing any Scorpius equipment (cheaper in bulk) Chrome plating optional if required.
Flipper template free online.

The assembly. You can make yourself using the free provided plans.
You just need a small length of thread brass rod, 2 x washer 3 x nut, a Peco or similar train turnout (solenoid), a piece of plastic as a low friction rubbing block, a flipper of course and a few screws. I could supply the lot in a kit. Price to be determined if demand is there.

Cheers
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (fronteren in 2. gear @ 25 Sep 2008, 03:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice one!
How thick is it?

Ill correct my first statement. It needs to be 8mm thick (rubbing block ok) or 6mm but not using the rubbing block. As long as the slot is 7mm deep and 8mm deep for Carrera.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 ·
Somewhere....
Try "Scorpius Youtube" in google, theres a few there by PhilR.
theres a throttle comparison.
16 car club race.
Another one showing it working on Ninco and SSD.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi All

I had the privillage of visiting Rick place while in town the other day and I can tell you that this Scorpius system is as good as it sounds, I can;t wait to fit it all up to my track!

Good Job Rick keep up the good work.

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 23 Sep 2008, 14:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basically its all Scorpius components using SCX track and lane changers. Remove powerbase. Connect PSU direct to rails. Add PC and wireless dongle. Uses PcLapcounter like SCX does

Cheers
Rick
Hi again.
On page 1 SCX Digital is not mentioned?
Prices are on which page(s)?

How about a website for Scorpio instead of these 42 pages?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 ·
Hi Paul,
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it =)
Slotrace,
A website is coming. The thread however shows the evolution, something I couldnt have done on a website.

Cheers
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 25 Sep 2008, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any videos???
Eventually on which pages of these 42 pages?

Try also "blst scorpius youtube" in google
Thats Didiers track, one of the best.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 ·
hi Merc,
Yes its the best form of flattery having someone wanting to emulate my system

Today I had an email from a well known company wanting to use the Scorpius system . If it goes ahead it will be very exciting. Possibly a show at Nurnberg in February

So on with the project. Today John finished the hardware for Lane Brain. We had to design the board to match what enclosures are readily available, so here it is:

A little gem. Lane Brain 2.0, just firmware to go.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
Hi,
Im going to recommend two actually,
Ninco or Carrera. Ninco for its grip, Carrera for its long smooth LC

Rick

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rick, he asked for one make of track, I think "Your own routed track" would have been the correct answer

after all Scorpius and wood are a perfect match

oh and you have great grip, non mag, and the Lane Changers can vary from tight to long and smooth,

Routed covers it all

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
Hi Paul,
Yes its the best line bit thats appealing to me.
And Im using "Magnabraid" instead of copper tape. Bit more work but I prefer a bit of mag racing, and non mag, all good.

·
Registered
253 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 28 Sep 2008, 09:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Paul,
Yes its the best line bit thats appealing to me.
And Im using "Magnabraid" instead of copper tape. Bit more work but I prefer a bit of mag racing, and non mag, all good.
I agree with magna braid and it my track is sucsessful I will fit it later, just a matter of routing the recess.

I need to spend time on the LC's etc and of corse Scorpius, so once all that is done the braid will follow.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Digital, where does Scorpius go from here?

Hi Guys,

Standards?

We feel Scorpius is so far ahead of anything else, we need the rest to catch up before we can organise a "standard"
Personally I cant hang around and wait years. As of yet there are no other players with exact specifications.
Standards? Perhaps there will be more than one standard? Perhaps there will never be a single standard.
Scorpius was/is the first to document, develop, test and successfully beta test a multi protocol digital car chip. Multi standard if you like.
Perhaps Scorpius will set "the standard", perhaps not. Whatever the case Scorpius can be re flashed with any "standard" and has a variety of hardware available. Scorpius components are as modern as the latest update.
Forget standards for now, its far too early.
As far as a standard is concerned, it all revolves around the lane change protocols firstly and most importantly. Scorpius has by far the most sophisticated yet simple design, and can transfer vast amounts of data quicker than any other system.
Other standards would include throttle to car data, LC to PC standard, Dongle standard, ID codes standard etc.

The so called standard set by the train industry is a myth in reality. Sure any DCC loco can run on any DCC system, but try to mix other accessories and data interfaces etc, its a total mess. As data on rails is one way communication only and limited data transfer via rails, they made a 2 way wired comms circuit which goes from PC to interface to accesories, in addition to the data on rails to run train detection, turnout control, signals etc. Here none of the manufacturers have a standard. I think they need Scorpius more than we do! There is still political divide amongst the model train industry, with disagreement on the way various manufacturers disagree on new developments as they struggle to get ahead of each other by offering diffrernt "extras" A lot should be learnt from their mistakes.
Id call it a"half hearted attempt at forming a standard" Result: After 30 years, a failure to form a 100% standard.
Actually thinking why after 30 years ofdevelopment why DCC is still not organised, happenning etc? Could it be the "standard" made them go to sleep?
We can wait for years for a standard, in the meantime I want to have some fun.
Multiprotocol, way to go, flexible, keep your investment alive.
DWW Id love to part of a standard, know anyone whos put time or effort in yet I can talk to with anything real on the bench? I dont. Extra protocol? Its something we could whip up in a matter of days and email to our customers. Bring it on. Scorpius is flexible.
I wonder if other future systems will have wirelessly upgradeable firmware, since Scorpius has set the standard here. If your system hasnt got that then it has a "use by" date.
Realistically manufacturers want your investment outdated every 7 years so they can sell you a new one. This is not Scorpius philosophy =)

By the way I might leave the SSD and Ninco protocols on the Scorpius system until I get further advice =)

Big thankyou to all for the support recently offered, those people know who they are

Website soon a reality, not vapour. Looking good too. Im just writing up the FAQ page this week.

Rick

621 - 640 of 1170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.