SlotForum banner
661 - 680 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
As I understand it, the car "tells" the PC where it is every time it passes a lanebrain LED, so that the PC knows what to send to the lane changer, as well of course when the lap is complete, so there should be enough "reference points" around any track with a reasonable number of changers (and this number tends to increase with track length anyway) This then makes "telemetry" a software issue only - a challenge to software writers to come up with something effective. Not something I'd ever use myself, but Scorpius is fast starting to look like the hobbyist/technophile/feature-lover's best option (as opposed say to Slot-it, who seem to be taking the simple and robust approach for big competition tracks), so if this sort of thing is going to be offered anywhere, it should be offered here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Can all throttle info be "filtered" thru the PC before going to the cars? I was thinking that if so, one could use software to create "throttle lag"- to create a much more realistic motor response by not ramping up to full power quite as quickly. This could make "touchy" cars much more driveable as well, and coupled with max. throttle setting would allow you to tune groups of cars to run competitive lap times (though they might drive quite differently from each other.)

Possible?

Ryk

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
QUOTE (Snakebit @ 11 Oct 2008, 01:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rick, Sector times would be a nice feature on larger layouts but most people won't have that luxury.So telemetry is not high on the features I would personally need. Thanks , Joe =)

I suspect this would be the case with 99% of even enthusiasts, even me.Motor telemetry, either by itself or superimposed over throttle telemetry for reference and direct comparison, now theres something useful, get to see the acceleration/brakingdata RELATIVE to something, hmmm maybe throttle data, this way the top end techno club racer could.
QUOTE (h00ch @ 11 Oct 2008, 01:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Being a home user and not serious on tuning etc, telemetry would not be something I would need/use at all. Though sector timing would be very welcome, even on shorter home tracks I can see it being very useful.

Sector timing wont be a problem, with say 6 to 15 LC's around a track sending data continuosly the system knows exactly who is where when. In fact using motor and throttle data we can even figure out what car came off which part of the track. This is very good for real time pace cars (well 1/32 real time if you get me). You could even measure distances between sensors and enter them into a program, that way the system knows even where the car is exactly between LCs using. Hmmm what the hell would you ever use that for? Well you wouldnt normally except Ive been trying to think of a way to record and playback a 2-16 car race EXACTLY. This is the best way IF it can be achieved.

QUOTE (BentleyBoy @ 11 Oct 2008, 02:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As I understand it, the car "tells" the PC where it is every time it passes a lanebrain LED, so that the PC knows what to send to the lane changer, as well of course when the lap is complete, so there should be enough "reference points" around any track with a reasonable number of changers (and this number tends to increase with track length anyway) This then makes "telemetry" a software issue only - a challenge to software writers to come up with something effective. Not something I'd ever use myself, but Scorpius is fast starting to look like the hobbyist/technophile/feature-lover's best option (as opposed say to Slot-it, who seem to be taking the simple and robust approach for big competition tracks), so if this sort of thing is going to be offered anywhere, it should be offered here.

Yes correct, it is only a software issue, in fact we have the basics right now, no boxes, no cables.
In European 24 hr digital meets basically they need to go, stop, change lanes, count laps, no power issues of course and be reliable, with good throttle functions, adjustable throttle curve, brakes etc. We are very aware of that.
For us the rest is just various programs you use as required only.

QUOTE (ryk4racing @ 11 Oct 2008, 05:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can all throttle info be "filtered" thru the PC before going to the cars? I was thinking that if so, one could use software to create "throttle lag"- to create a much more realistic motor response by not ramping up to full power quite as quickly. This could make "touchy" cars much more driveable as well, and coupled with max. throttle setting would allow you to tune groups of cars to run competitive lap times (though they might drive quite differently from each other.)Possible?Ryk

It can be done on the throttle chip =) It would be just an extension of the throttle manipulation program.
going via PC would create lag.

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
881 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 10 Oct 2008, 15:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sector timing wont be a problem, with say 6 to 15 LC's around a track sending data continuosly the system knows exactly who is where when. In fact using motor and throttle data we can even figure out what car came off which part of the track. This is very good for real time pace cars (well 1/32 real time if you get me). You could even measure distances between sensors and enter them into a program, that way the system knows even where the car is exactly between LCs using. Hmmm what the hell would you ever use that for? Well you wouldnt normally except Ive been trying to think of a way to record and playback a 2-16 car race EXACTLY. This is the best way IF it can be achieved.
Could be handy for having an option to force cars to slow down once they get to the LB last crossed by the deslotted car, then full speed after the next LB until the car is once again sensed to be back on the track or after a set amount of time. (like a sector yellow)

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (h00ch @ 10 Oct 2008, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could be handy for having an option to force cars to slow down once they get to the LB last crossed by the deslotted car, then full speed after the next LB until the car is once again sensed to be back on the track or after a set amount of time. (like a sector yellow)

And trigger a caution light next to the track? (I think the LBs have a spare output?). I'll stop short of having a marshall figure start waving a yellow flag (or will I......!)

·
Registered
524 Posts
QUOTE Could be handy for having an option to force cars to slow down once they get to the LB last crossed by the deslotted car, then full speed after the next LB until the car is once again sensed to be back on the track or after a set amount of time. (like a sector yellow)

Outstanding
. That would be a really neat feature.

Cam

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (ryk4racing @ 10 Oct 2008, 18:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can all throttle info be "filtered" thru the PC before going to the cars? I was thinking that if so, one could use software to create "throttle lag"- to create a much more realistic motor response by not ramping up to full power quite as quickly. This could make "touchy" cars much more driveable as well, and coupled with max. throttle setting would allow you to tune groups of cars to run competitive lap times (though they might drive quite differently from each other.)

Possible?

Ryk

Would it be also be possible to create lengthier coasting distances after the throttle is fully released?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (Nigel Pendrigh @ 13 Oct 2008, 02:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps you could have a slower car be blue-flagged to move over when being lapped?

Will be done but not straight up.

QUOTE (BentleyBoy @ 13 Oct 2008, 03:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's probably a fairly simple extension of the "best line" idea - if people want it I'm sure someone will be able to write the software to give it to them!!
Well after you buy a Scorpius component people are welcome to write their own add ons. Blue flag is not so crucial as we have anti collision. Blue flag could work two ways
1) Freeze the car in its lane till faster car passes.
2) Make the slower car move to the non best line lane
I would make this optional nas it may bug some people.

QUOTE (gavinb @ 13 Oct 2008, 04:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would it be also be possible to create lengthier coasting distances after the throttle is fully released?

Thats a function of brakes, try 30% setting for example. Basically Scorpius has the ability to do almost any difficult task asked of it. 0% would be full coasting.

Cheers
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Good question.
In the developments/inventions/projects if you think it will take a week it will take two weeks. If you think it will take a month, it will take 2 months. Its impossible tell at the moment simply because no one has ever done it before. At first only the car chip and throttle was going to be made, then we decided to make version II car chip (smaller), then we decided it best released as a total system which means it had to wait while John finished other projects, add the dongle function and associated software, write a whole bunch of other software, now we half way through Lane Brain and we want to reconfigure the throttle which may include hall effect trigger. Phew!

At first I made predictions, but my short time in development of Scorpius has taught me to be conservative now in time frames. This doesnt build false expectations, takes unnecessary pressure off which keeps the project fun for me which is why I started it in the first place. We will be testing Lane Brain in about a weeks time (lol allow 2 weeks) and that will be the best fun bit yet. Sure we could rush it but it would only come back to bite me (and you), whats the point.

But its only fair people have an approximate idea so Im guessing late March but as someone once said to me 1% of the project can take 99% of the time, very true. The day will come soon where I can give an exact date.
Hope this gives you an idea why I cant be more specific at present.

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
253 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 13 Oct 2008, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We will be testing Lane Brain in about a weeks time (lol allow 2 weeks) and that will be the best fun bit yet.

Cheers
Rick

mmmmmmm Rick that will be when the Gold Coast Indy will be on mmmmm If you want to make a weekend of it, I would more than be happy to donate my track to the task of beta testing the lane brain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi to you all.

As a young boy I had a racetrack. Just like most users here who are now in their 30's or 40's. (Yes i'm 38)

A couple of months ago i became father of a son. And naturaly i started thinking about racing with my son. haha. I always had that little voice in the back of my head that said "build your own wooden racetrack". So i started reading the whole internet about slotcars and all the different systems. Now everything is completly clear to me. NOT. The only thing i know is that i will be using 1:32 cars. Just because i like them the most for the size. I don't have toooooo much place for a track and i think that 1:32 scaled cars look better on a smaller track.

I saw the video "SPA BLST" and i was blown away.
I love the track. Only the BLST system seems to be vanished behind the scenes of the company that bought the patent.

After reading all the 46 pages here i can only say that i love what is happening in slotcarworld. And i certainly want some stuff of project "scorpius" in my track. I'll be following this thread and your project.

Rick, and others involved, keep up the good work.

PS Forgive me my bad English, but i'm sure it is better than my Chinese

Greetings from The Netherlands

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm much like you (a year younger!) in the same situation. About a year ago I found this site and it is the best on the .net I have found! My sons very first toy was a slot car!! I'm not sure who will be the bigger kid me or him...

QUOTE (racefreak38 @ 14 Oct 2008, 15:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi to you all.

As a young boy I had a racetrack. Just like most users here who are now in their 30's or 40's. (Yes i'm 38)

A couple of months ago i became father of a son. And naturaly i started thinking about racing with my son. haha. I always had that little voice in the back of my head that said "build your own wooden racetrack". So i started reading the whole internet about slotcars and all the different systems. Now everything is completly clear to me. NOT. The only thing i know is that i will be using 1:32 cars. Just because i like them the most for the size. I don't have toooooo much place for a track and i think that 1:32 scaled cars look better on a smaller track.

I saw the video "SPA BLST" and i was blown away.
I love the track. Only the BLST system seems to be vanished behind the scenes of the company that bought the patent.

After reading all the 46 pages here i can only say that i love what is happening in slotcarworld. And i certainly want some stuff of project "scorpius" in my track. I'll be following this thread and your project.

Rick, and others involved, keep up the good work.

PS Forgive me my bad English, but i'm sure it is better than my Chinese

Greetings from The Netherlands

661 - 680 of 1170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.