SlotForum banner
841 - 860 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was thinking touch screen. Hit the screen them marshals are slow to give the sleapy bastard some Volts. That should be wireless of cause!

Does the parma eco controller come with new greater stuffing like a new more smooth trigger. I dont really fancy the the parma eco feel. To bumpy and mechanic I must say. Or did I miss that part of this thread?

Is it easy to have several car ID´s and to swich from to an other?

Rick, When Scorpius is released u betta be ready for the challence were the fist one to beat u get a free signed Scorpius magnet:)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #842 ·
QUOTE (Nigel Pendrigh @ 6 Dec 2008, 00:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Given that there will be a lot of different configuration possibilites, is there or will there be anywhere to store the settings in named profile files?

For instance, for the controller:
- Profile Name (say a Car / Track Combination)
- Car ID Number
- Brake Setting
- Throttle Curve
- etc.

I should imagine that these profile files could be backed up or copied or edited as well

Very possible and would save valueable time on race night. Once again these sorts of programs can be done at a later time and added in.

QUOTE (urmel @ 6 Dec 2008, 09:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But today I hope Rick can accelerate his time to market.

Were going fast, making the controller in 18 days flat proves it, but if we go too fast mistakes can creep in.

QUOTE (fronteren in 2. gear @ 6 Dec 2008, 11:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does the parma eco controller come with new greater stuffing like a new more smooth trigger. I dont really fancy the the parma eco feel. Too bumpy and mechanic I must say. Or did I miss that part of this thread?

Is it easy to have several car ID´s and to swich from to an other?
See the pic, notice no wiper board?
The new hall effect trigger setup gives 320 step resolution, no friction, no maintenance, with adjustable curve, this should please even the fussiest slotter. No more wiper board/button problems or servicing. Self calibrating too.

Yes you can have more than one car on a particular ID and its easy to swap car IDs from throttle or PC.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Track power question here.
I'm considering buying a new psu for my analogue track. At the moment I have 4 unregulated psu's, one per lane, giving a fixed 14 V at 1.5 A. Quite sufficient for my home layout and for the usual unmodified Scaley/Ninco/AutoArt/Carrera cars we're racing with.

What would be best when buying one new psu to cover it all, with my future Scorpius implementation in mind?
I figured: Depends on how many cars you want to race with, and what your demands are. Mine are not too high, but i don't like power surges of course. We will race with 4, 6 cars max, never more. Say 2 A per car = max. 12 A psu. 10 A might go as well i guess.
I can buy a fairly priced unregulated 13.8 V / 10 A psu here in my local shop. But i have no idea how much current around 4, say 6 LB's would draw if I hook them up as well? Would 12 A suffice in my case?

Merc

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #845 ·
hi Merc,
Firstly try to buy a regulated supply.
As you say allow 2 amps per car, say 12 amps will do.
Next the LB is rated at 13.8V max so if your taking your track over 13.8V if would be a good idea to power the LCs seperately.
Otherwise just wire the PSU direct to rails, any polarity.
However LBs need correct polarity.
With the LBs, they draw around 0.5 amps each, but allow 1 amp each. Thats another 6 amps. Weather you want to combine with track power is up to you.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
The spec for LB operating range is 8.0-16V. The website says 8.0-13.8V so that needs to be corrected.
Each flipper driver (not solenoid driver) can supply 3 Amps peak. So LB peak current is whatever 2 cars draw from the flippers plus the LB operating current of less than 0.1A, plus the solenoid drivers say 0.5A each.
The flipper voltage is virtually the same as the track voltage.
So if your PSU has enough amps yes.
With 2 standard slot cars passing through an Scorpius powered XLC at the same moment allow 0.8A per car (liven flipper function), 0.5A per solenoid driver and standby useage 0.1A adds up to 2.7 amps total to give you an idea.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rick,
how long does a switching process take? I'd think that the peak current is only drawn for a few hundred miliseconds?
Is the solenoid driver bi-stable? So it uses its peak current only for switching, but not for holding the flipper?
So switching peak and live flipper peak don't happen at the same time frame?
The shorter and lower the current peak (power consumption) the smaller a PSU may be choosen.

Since a good PSU is not really cheap, it would make a difference if I had to decide to buy for example a 13,8V 3A cont. PSU against a 13,8V 6A cont. PSU.

So, against my own advice of producing new ideas, what about providing a form on the Scorpius hompage, where a customer can fill in the number of cars, current draw per car, number of LBs, max Voltage, and the result will give a PSU suggestion?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
The flipper drivers are always active......just change polarity when flipped. These only draw current when a car passes remember.
The solenoid on time is currently set to XXmSec and is adjustable. I'm guessing the SSD type solenoids peak at about 1 amp.
As the cars braids will hit the flipper AFTER the solenoid driver has done its job its true to say each individual LC will use 0.1 A to run it, 1amp to drive the solenoid which is 1.1 A. Now if a car drew say 1.0 A, add 0.1 A again, comes to 1.1 A.
If a car drew 3 amps from the flipper driver that would be 3.1 A drawn per single.
So a typical track, 10 LCs, 6 cars max 1.0 A each,
10x 0.1A to run the LBs in standby mode =1.0 A
Even though you have 10 LCs only a max of 6 could be triggered at the same instant so 6 x 1.0=6.0 A
Total 7.0 A.

Talking about live flippers its a beautiful thing to pull up on the flipper and drive off every time

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Club Scorpius
66 members........

Also we just added a security PIN system between throttle and car. So nobody can overide a competitors car. 4 digit PIN between 0000 and 9999 should do the trick.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·
Lane Brain Setup Menu

As you can see you can set the ID of the Lane Brain, select com port, turn anti collision on/off, swap order of solenoids. (on testing it you find LC is straight through and straight through is LC, so you wired the wires to the wrong solenoids?, dont worry you dont have to re-wire it, just tick this box!)
Or your track is wired in reverse polarity, so the liven flipper wont work, dont worry, once again just tick the box, all is fixed.
Next you have 3 adjustable paramaters for the solenoid driver.
Once your happy down click Download and the LB is instantly re-flashed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A good point made.

Using a display like Rich G's Tower is very nice, would it still be possible to use this and not a PC screen at times.?

Or would Rich be able to make changes to his towers so they will work with scorpius.?

Can Scorpius run with out using a PC once it is all set up.?

Shaunbmx

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #859 ·
QUOTE (Nigel Pendrigh @ 16 Dec 2008, 10:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could it be kept in the track and used for sending data to RichG's Lap Tower?
Only if used in SSD mode which Scorpius can only use under license which is very possible.

QUOTE Using a display like Rich G's Tower is very nice, would it still be possible to use this and not a PC screen at times.?

Id have to write a program for it and connect tower to PC, very possible.

QUOTE Or would Rich be able to make changes to his towers so they will work with scorpius.?

It would be up to me to get correct code to tower not vice versa.

QUOTE Can Scorpius run with out using a PC once it is all set up.?

Yes but you only get really basic functions like go, stop, change lanes, change throttle ID, change car ID, adjust brakes and throttle curve. No lap counting without PC.
Essentially you can put any PB type function in a controller if the micro on the controller is big enough.

So I could put a lap counting readout on each controller that gets its info directly from LB.

841 - 860 of 1170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.