Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hi Rick

Have given Colin my 30 Amp PSU.

Rich

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wishing Rick the best of luck with his European tour!! I recommend that if you get the chance,go and try Scorpius!! Its unbelievable!
We didnt get to do any testing at PJR Slotracing before Rick left..I've been busy running my 2 mobile tracks in Beechworth..and It wouldnt have been an adequate place to test..Not enough skilled drivers around here..But there soon will be!! But Rick has been testing in Sydney and is very pleased with the results.
I am so looking foward to the commecrial availability of the Scorpius gear..What im doing now with N digital is quite sucessful,but Scorpius is going to leave that for dead!
Im entering part 2 of a 3 part plan to setup a new branch of PJR Slotracing in Beechworth Victoria.
Beechworth is a tourist town and is only 35 km from a very big population centre in Albury / Wodonga and 35km in the opposite direction to Wangaratta so the potential is very very good.
I have been using 8 car n digital for the last 2 weeks,catering to the walk in tourist trade..Every customer walked out very pleased and several groups returned multiple times..Lots of locals called in to check it out as well.
Stage 2 of the plan is the beginning of a club style competition running here in Beechworth (I have secured the use of another local hall for the next 3 months)..After That I will assess the feasability of setting up a new permanent branch of PJR Slotracing here in Beechworth..But my plans for this revolve heavily around the future of Scorpius..I dont want to start up a new venue based on redundant technology.
So go Rick!!
Phil

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Rick,
With this showcase being just 4 days away, do you have any further details please?

What time will the club doors open on Sunday, and for how long?
Will you be putting some LC's into the track, or is it the wireless controllers you are showcasing?
is there any point in attendees bringing cars?

I have followed some of the Scorpius thread, but not really closely. (i get confused easily)

I take it you will be on hand to explain what is needed and how things work ect?

G

·
QUOTE (zipp @ 21 Jan 2009, 06:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rick,
With this showcase being just 4 days away, do you have any further details please?

What time will the club doors open on Sunday, and for how long?
Will you be putting some LC's into the track, or is it the wireless controllers you are showcasing?
is there any point in attendees bringing cars?

I have followed some of the Scorpius thread, but not really closely. (i get confused easily)

I take it you will be on hand to explain what is needed and how things work ect?

I posted a new thread in the hope of attracting some racers down to have a go. There is no charge,just a small donation to a charity i support would be a nice gesture.
Tea/Coffee will be available.I have no idea what the timings are other than Rick will arrive Saturday morning with all the equipment needed.Sunday will be available from 10am onwards.
I would imagine it will be running Saturday afternoon but suggest anyone coming calls me on 07789764950 for information.
At the moment i have no idea who is coming but clearly this will no work unless people attend.
I hope to see many here to try what looks to be a great concept in slot racing.
Regards,Graeme.
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry404385

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just called Rick in Italy..He is having a great time and prepping about 20 cars for a big race at some local track there in Italy..
I hope that anyone who has a chance to catch Rick on his Euro tour does so..you wont be disappointed..
Im wondering who are the smart manufacturers out there?..What we are using now will soon be quite redundant..This wireless system offers so much..and the actual wireless part is really only icing on the cake..
Time will tell..
It will tell me weather manufacturers are interested in toy sales only and if they could care less about the enthusiast market
Phil

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just arrived in UK, havent had internet access until now.
Saturday will be purely set up, a lot of work to do. Sunday fun laps for people to suss out the overall concept. We are still debugging and developing. The more we test the more we learn, lots of fine tuning to go, but this is what the Euro visit is about, testing in different environments is teaching us a lot and is necessary. Ill be taking a trip to PhilRs track too when I get back to Aus.
One thing Ive realised is as good as the Ninco track is (the best in my opinion) the LCs leave a lot to be desired, you need to slow down a lot to negotiate without desloting. The SSD LC is far superior. Two solenoids and ability to hit LC fast is a big plus for SSD, well done Hornby. Id convert the Ninco LC to double solenoid but the speed factor tells me not to bother.
The guys helping me test all said a new LC to match the Ninco gauge and grip needs to me made available.

Zipp, Ill be there to explain on Sunday. No benefit in bringing anything other than yourself.

Had room to bring 16 cars, throttles, a few LCs etc. Sure Scorpius can do 24, but realistically 12-16 is more than enough in reality.

All the cars are non mag which is how 99% of races are held in Italy, Spain and other parts of Europe. (Im slowly steering away from mag cars, learning more and more how to set up a car properly) Its amazing driving a well set up non mag car on a Ninco track surface.

The main point is simply to introduce Scorpius and show how it works. The system is not yet perfect but with this tour debugging has been rapidly increased=)

With LCs we are only using enough to prove our new LB works.

The throttle feel is unreal, better than any Ive ever tried, analogue or digital and is a highlight of the system, even basic function like adjustable brakes, unreal and mandatory to tune your car for optimum performance.

We found a bug in the timing system but as John is in China on working holiday it will have to wait until he returns, also John deserves a good break as we have been working full on since late November, thanks John=)

After the tour we will fix the few minor bugs we have remaining, design a new throttle casing and add more functions. We found a minor bug in anti collision which once again I switched off (lucky its optional huh=), which once again will have to wait until John returns. I think its the fact the beacon signal needs to be increased due to running additional beacons in series, as it doesnt fail with just the original 2 it comes with, time will tell. It detects laps 101% with just 2 lanes.....

Then its off to Spain. Now the Spanish are slot crazy, no other nation on earth does it quite like the Spanish, Im really looking foward to meeting all the guys. Thanks go to Miguel (owner of Slotdigital forum in Spain) for helping set up demo in Spain.

All the guys in Italy loved it. 5 had previously used Davic and they all agreed without doubt the power, functionality and throttle setup is superior, (their words not mine). This was pleasing to hear.

Do not expect perfection if coming on Sunday, but Im returning soon to hold real races with all the good gear complete.
And there is another little surprise but thats a couple of weeks off.

Thanks for tuning in, all welcome. I realise it is not central to everyone and its a long way for some, I sincerely apologise for this. See you there!

Rick

·
Administrator
10,409 Posts
Hands up all those that want to drive the very latest NSR cars that Rick has just got hold of?

Porshe 917s are to die for.....

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #934 ·
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 24 Jan 2009, 11:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hands up all those that want to drive the very latest NSR cars that Rick has just got hold of?

Porshe 917s are to die for.....

Yup.......NSR has raised the standard in slot cars no doubt in my mind. Nst cars are winning a lot of championships in Italy, Spain and elsewhere. Once set up they are numero uno.

QUOTE (shaunbmx @ 24 Jan 2009, 12:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Glad i can make it now, i was just thinking can't wait to see Scorpius, but NSR 917 will be an extra treat.

Cool, your test cars are non mag.

See you Sunday.

Shaunbmx

Onya Shaun, see you then.

QUOTE (dda @ 24 Jan 2009, 18:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rick,

Don't hesitate to come to Belgium and have a couple of Belgian beers when doing a few laps on SPA BLST.
But I suppose that you're hopping by plane from UK to Spain directly ?

Yup,

DDA

Yup damn. But Im returning soon so its a deal so keep those beers cold for me.

Cheers

Rick

·
Registered
136 Posts
I can confirm this thread is not an elaborate hoax and If I'm dreaming don't wake me up.

This system is really cool.

Thank you Rick for bringing Scorpius to the UK for testing and thank you Graeme for your hospitality. Up the bees!

·
Registered
130 Posts
QUOTE (gavinb @ 26 Jan 2009, 07:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can confirm this thread is not an elaborate hoax and If I'm dreaming don't wake me up.

This system is really cool.

Thank you Rick for bringing Scorpius to the UK for testing and thank you Graeme for your hospitality. Up the bees!

Told you you'd love it!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey Rick, was just thinking about something. When I setup my pitlane to enter before the blackbox and exit after the black box, lap timing/counting is missed for that lap where the car pitted. (Carrera Pro-X system, not sure what others are like) Will your system allow for a start/finish line sensor to be on the pitlane (3rd lane on a 2 lane track) beside the track start/finish line without having to have a separate LB for the pitlane start/finish line?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think what you are doing is great! I have a question for you. I know it is probably possible but
may not be feasible to implement due to lack of interest. I have a brother that is a quadrapalegic and
therefore cannot use a controller. He would love to run a slot car if there was a way to do it. I have a
couple of ideas. Since Scorpius is computer based and you already have the computer capable of running dummy
cars, how hard would it be to emplement some form of a handicap control either using voice recognition or
single key strokes at a computer keyboard?

My brother can type one key at a time with a typing stick. Voice recognition with simple commands would
probably be best because it wouldn't wear him out as easily. Basically the commands would mimic the
controller so you would have a throttle command, break command, stop command, change lane right or left commands,
etc. One nice thing about slot cars is that he doesn't have to turn the cars as you would with non-slotted radio controlled.
I think this is doable but then again there may not be enough interest to put the time into implementation. Let me
know what you think.

Kurt

·
Registered
364 Posts
seem to remember that someone I think in italy on the web site has a brother who became paraplegic and they managed to make him a controllor so he could race slot cars
I think there is a thread about this
Neale

921 - 940 of 1170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.