SlotForum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1170 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 28 Feb 2009, 02:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simply take the wire from LB that livens flipper ...
I did not know that LB has a special wire to liven the flipper...

I read on Scorpius website that a LB is needed to count laps. When using a 4 lanes track, do I need one or two LBs to count lap?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,104 ·
The Lane Brain doubles up as a lap counter, LEDs from the LB are wired in series, example 4 lanes=4 LEDs, 8 lanes=8 LEDs (one LED per lane). When the car sees the 0 ID it sends a ID signal to the PC, fromthere the RMS takes care of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 2 Mar 2009, 02:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Lane Brain doubles up as a lap counter, LEDs from the LB are wired in series, example 4 lanes=4 LEDs, 8 lanes=8 LEDs (one LED per lane). When the car sees the 0 ID it sends a ID signal to the PC, fromthere the RMS takes care of it.

Having two ways communications is a great advantage compared to other systems! How many different LB ID are supported ? For the pit lane LB I suppose that there is also particular ID?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,107 ·
Hi Polopo,
LB can give code for:
lapcounting/timing,
normal LC
pit entry
pit exit
pit bay entry
+ each LB gives sector timing as standard every time it passes an LC.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

There is a few things I hope you guys can help explain. Having read through this extensive thread, I still find it difficult to understand all the possibilities/limitations of the system. So, in no particular order:

1. The track is powered with a constant voltage, and the spec for the car chip says 6-18V. Does this mean that it will be possible to run the track at 12V, and limit the voltage in the pitlane to 7-8V (speed reduction), without compromising the system in any way?

2. Refueling in pitlane: How is this handled? Car stopping over a LED/IR? Will there be Enter/Exit LEDS/IRs in each pit? Can one pit handle any number of cars (iow, can all cars use same pit?)

3. The term "Double lane changer", is this similar to the straight SSD changer (the cross, lane 1 to lane2 , lane 2 to lane1)? One Lane Brain can handle both flippers?

4. Timing and lap counting requires one Lane Brain. Can this LB also be used for a LC? Double LC?

5. What type of LED/IRs are required to support the system?

6. Can a given cars maximum speed (or throttle) be restricted in the RMS, and in effect make cars with different characteristics compete evenly?

7. In post #398566, a switch for enabling both Scorpius and analog racing is described. Is this some proprietary Scorpius solution, or is there a DIY description to be found somewhere?

8. Is the Peco PL10 LC flipper motor plug'n'play, or will it require a lot of fiddling to work correctly?

Thanks,
BJ

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nothing bettter to do tonight , so let's have a go at these - feel free to jump in and correct me!

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

There is a few things I hope you guys can help explain. Having read through this extensive thread, I still find it difficult to understand all the possibilities/limitations of the system. So, in no particular order:

1. The track is powered with a constant voltage, and the spec for the car chip says 6-18V. Does this mean that it will be possible to run the track at 12V, and limit the voltage in the pitlane to 7-8V (speed reduction), without compromising the system in any way?

Don't fret about pit lane speed - there is a potential function to limit this via the lane brain. Other than that , voltage is as you need - remember Scorpius is all wireless comms, so voltage is purely to supply the motor!

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2. Refueling in pitlane: How is this handled? Car stopping over a LED/IR? Will there be Enter/Exit LEDS/IRs in each pit? Can one pit handle any number of cars (iow, can all cars use same pit?)

This will all be via RMS, with lanebrains to report car position, but it would be good if there was some flexibility here - we cant all find room for 24 pit bays!

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3. The term "Double lane changer", is this similar to the straight SSD changer (the cross, lane 1 to lane2 , lane 2 to lane1)? One Lane Brain can handle both flippers?

Yes - unless you want bi-directional, then you'd need two lane-brains.

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>4. Timing and lap counting requires one Lane Brain. Can this LB also be used for a LC? Double LC?

Interesting question, beacause everything up to now has suggested a dedicated LB for the finish line. However. since all LBs talk to the PC they could be used for sector timing and , in theory, maybe even for lap timing - I think I'd want one dedicated to the finish line though - just to make sure!

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>5. What type of LED/IRs are required to support the system?

All built in - don't worry about it!

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>6. Can a given cars maximum speed (or throttle) be restricted in the RMS, and in effect make cars with different characteristics compete evenly?

Yes - all via RMS and/or throttle setup programs

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>7. In post #398566, a switch for enabling both Scorpius and analog racing is described. Is this some proprietary Scorpius solution, or is there a DIY description to be found somewhere?

It's a DIY hardware solution, but not a particularly complex one - I will definitely be feeding my analog lanes via scorpius to take advantage of wireless and smoother power curve.

QUOTE (TheBruce @ 8 Mar 2009, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>8. Is the Peco PL10 LC flipper motor plug'n'play, or will it require a lot of fiddling to work correctly?

It's just a pair of solenoids, which the lane brain will activate - Rick has said that instructions will be available and, to be honest, if you're handy enough to construct a routed track, I can't see you having too many problems.

Andy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for explaining, BentleyBoy

Your answers generated a few new questions.

As you mention, not all have room for 24 pits. I might squeeze in two, but just wondered if it was possible with one. One pit in the pit lane would make the second driver wait in pitlane until pit is clear, or force the second driver to just drive through pitlane and go one extra lap before refueling. Will the system allow this?

Alternative is two pits in the pit lane, but when racing more than two cars each car must be able to refuel from any of the two pits. Willl this be possible?

Question 5, about the LEDs. I was thinking of any LEDs/IRs that need to be placed in the track, for the in-car-chip to read. What is the required specs for these?

Thanks,
B

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,112 ·
QUOTE As you mention, not all have room for 24 pits. I might squeeze in two, but just wondered if it was possible with one. One pit in the pit lane would make the second driver wait in pitlane until pit is clear, or force the second driver to just drive through pitlane and go one extra lap before refueling. Will the system allow this?

Yes you can assign any car(s) to any pit bay(s) using auto pit feature.

QUOTE Alternative is two pits in the pit lane, but when racing more than two cars each car must be able to refuel from any of the two pits. Willl this be possible?

It is possible but we wont be setting it up that way as we would lose other vital functionality.

QUOTE Question 5, about the LEDs. I was thinking of any LEDs/IRs that need to be placed in the track, for the in-car-chip to read. What is the required specs for these?
IR LED any type, regardless they are supplied attached to the Lane Brain on fly leads so you dont need to actually know any specs.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Is this regarding the home made LC board project?
Hardware is opposite. In Scorpius LED is in track not car so I cant see how it could ever work unless Im missing something here?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
More in general nevermind the LC in the image... Was thinking it could be a way to interface with Gantrys and scoreboards and such not intended for the LC i just didnt remove it from the old image...

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,116 ·
We would use USB port from PC. Scorpius is pretty much a complete concept, no need for additional hardware =)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hmm so all devices like gantry and scoreboards and such will all have to use 2.4Ghz wireless or how do you plan to interface with it all through USB ?
Dont see realy how you would interface with such things without additional hardware.. If you meen by using USB on pc that you would interface direcly with for example Arduino then i would understand what you meen.. :)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,118 ·
Im assuming the accessory would be set up for plug n play into USB. I would use a Phidget board by Phidget if I needed an additional interface not Arduino.

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
Rick= since you are logged on now I have a Q
Do we have a final size for the car chips? I have a space to do a 10FT by 18FT track. And I have been re-casting trans-am series cars in 1/43 for a routed track that I did for my nephews. If the chips would fit I was thinking of using that space for a Scorpius 1/43 track.

That would mean that i would have two Scorpius tracks. COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Late=Joel

1101 - 1120 of 1170 Posts