SlotForum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1170 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (Umbra @ 10 Mar 2009, 10:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might i ask why Phidget and not arduino ?
From their website.....
The Phidget InterfaceKit 8/8/8 provides:
8 Analog Inputs
8 Digital Inputs
8 Digital Outputs
The Analog Inputs are used to measure continuous quantities, such as temperature, humidity, position, pressure, etc. Phidgets offers a wide variety of sensors that can be plugged directly into the board using the cable included with the sensor. The Analog Input can measure a voltage between 0V and 5V. The analog measurement is represented in the software as a value between 0 and 1000, so a sensor value of 1 unit represents a voltage of approximately 5 mV.

The Digital Inputs can be used to convey the state of devices such as push buttons, limit switches, relays, and logic levels.

The Digital Outputs can be used to drive LEDs, solid state relays (check out our 3052 SSR Relay Board), transistors; in fact, anything that will accept a CMOS signal.

Comes packaged with a 6-foot USB Cable, a Getting Started Manual, a mounting hardware kit, and a sheet of labels.
END OF QUOTE
This is better for slots no doubt. Notice it can drive LEDs for Gantry =)
And some basic programs are available. Postage is a rip off though.

QUOTE (1 32 slotter @ 10 Mar 2009, 10:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rick= since you are logged on now I have a Q
Do we have a final size for the car chips? I have a space to do a 10FT by 18FT track. And I have been re-casting trans-am series cars in 1/43 for a routed track that I did for my nephews. If the chips would fit I was thinking of using that space for a Scorpius 1/43 track.

That would mean that i would have two Scorpius tracks. COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Late=Joel

30x12......Sorry wont fit into 1/43 =(

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well Arduino can also drive Leds and all that ;-) i feel like Arduino have more to offer for less money.. So its atleast worth looking into ..

The only thing that i see that is better in phidget is that its easyer to use other languages other than C++.

*EDIT And lets say someone wanted to start manufacturing something for Scorpius instead of ppl having to buy a full board you can make a uArduino for scraps and sell alot cheaper :) Might be something like that for phidget aswell not sure.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,123 ·
So when are you going into production?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Actualy im waiting for my Arduino and components.. Then ill have a go at it :)

I have plans on "paper" for:
Light Gantry (Works with any controller board..)
LC THX to moonlock.. (SSD and no id detection atm, not needed for Scorpius ;-) )
Light control for streetlights and such (Just not on/off,PWM if needed)

+some other fun stuff..

·
Registered
136 Posts
You guys fascinate me, I want one of you for christmas, I define the interaction, and my own personal programmer puts it to life. Thats a sweet dream.........

minus

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looking in to the last things i need for Scorpius and was looking into power and which of my pc psu´s to use.

Q 1: If i wire one psu for 17V 24A that would be ok for rails (Carchip rated to max 18V)?
Q 2: Another psu wired for 12V 8A for the LB´s would be fine aswell ?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,129 ·
Sounds fine Umbra....

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,130 ·
QUOTE (polopo @ 14 Feb 2009, 00:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rick.

I've a few questions regarding information available on www.scorpiuswireless.com :

- the LBs are said to work @ 13.8 volts.
- the car chip is said to work up to 18 volts, but has a 16 volts capacitor..

What is exactly the maximum voltage one can use with Scorpius?

I've read from someone who tested Scorpius at Nuremberg that the controller now shows the number of lap of the car. Is there also some lap timing information available?

Thanks.

Bernard

Ok we have a new specification.
Both the Scorpius car chip and Lane Brain have a 8-18V operating range. No seperate power supply required.
Scorpius capacitor on car chip ws always 25V for the record.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,131 ·
PJR-Scorpius 6 hr Enduro test report.

Hi Guys,
The event went reasonable but not as good as we hoped, here is the report.

Glitch 1: When car clears a section of track where rails are gummed up with oil etc, a voltage spike occurs just as car hits a clean section, resetting the chip. Result car stops. Start again by lifting car off rails and replacing. A simple quick wipe down of rails with methylated spirits by PhilR eliminated this. We knew this before the race and we have a solution, the addition of two additional diodes to the board. This is already been allowed for on version 5.0 of car chip, already designed by John!

Glitch 2: A simple software glitch on the basic RMS we have caused lapcounting to go crazy after 20 minutes so lapcounting was done by hand! (hey it got us by!), John said 30 minutes work should see this fixed. This doesnt show up on short races so as you can see an enduro is mandatory for absolute testing. Everything else worked fine.

So bring on version 5.0 car chip ASAP!

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 22 Mar 2009, 06:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok we have a new specification.
Both the Scorpius car chip and Lane Brain have a 8-18V operating range. No seperate power supply required.
Scorpius capacitor on car chip ws always 25V for the record.

Excellent news! IMHO that was the only design glitch visible from the specifications available on your web site.

QUOTE (injectorman @ 22 Mar 2009, 07:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PJR-Scorpius 6 hr Enduro test report.

Glitch 1: When car clears a section of track where rails are gummed up with oil etc, a voltage spike occurs just as car hits a clean section, resetting the chip. Result car stops. Start again by lifting car off rails and replacing. A simple quick wipe down of rails with methylated spirits by PhilR eliminated this. We knew this before the race and we have a solution, the addition of two additional diodes to the board. This is already been allowed for on version 5.0 of car chip, already designed by John!

Glitch 2: A simple software glitch on the basic RMS we have caused lapcounting to go crazy after 20 minutes so lapcounting was done by hand! (hey it got us by!), John said 30 minutes work should see this fixed. This doesnt show up on short races so as you can see an enduro is mandatory for absolute testing. Everything else worked fine.

So bring on version 5.0 car chip ASAP!

Cheers
Rick

Thanks for this honest report. The only real problem is the one on the car chip and you already have a solution for it, so I guess you are starting to feel comfortable to launch a first production batch

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

This is a revisit to an idea previously suggested in this thread (can't remember by who), and politely discarded at the time, regarding the handling of de-slots. I will re-enter the request, as I think it will have great value to those of us operating with limited real-estate.

Scorpius will immidiately detect a de-slotted car, opening up for some interesting possibilities.
For some of us space is a limited resource, and marshalling is basically not possible. Eager, "self-marshalling" drivers have a tendency to let go of all good manners in their quest to put their cars back on track when they de-slot, and cause frustration, foul language and at one occasion spilling of beer.

It would be really good if the RMS had an option to gradually cut power when a de-slot is detected. When the RMS senses the car is back on track, power will gradually be increased.

Simple algorithm:
  • Detect de-slot
  • Decrease power for all cars from 100% to 0% over a 3 second period
  • Detect de-slotted car back on track
  • Wait 3 seconds, preferably with visual count-down indicator on monitor or hardware
  • Increase power from 0% to 100% over a 3 second period.

The suggested algorithm will penalize the reckless driver with 3 seconds loss, at reduced speed, which in some cases might be regarded as to kind for this sort of offense. He is after all allowed back into the race. The interval for increasing power from 0 to 100% for the de-slotting culprit could possibly be set to a higher value, f.ex. 5 or 10 secs (or any other value entered by the user), to let the culprit learn the hard way that reckless driving does not pay off.

This is one suggested method, there are several variation of this that might work well. The main point is that the RMS takes actions upon a de-slot, to allow civilized behavior along the track even in severly stressful situations (not leading by at least 1/2 a lap
).

I imagine that the programming of such functionality will be within reach, but at the same time I know you guys have a lot of stuff to do these days. Revision 2.0 of the RMS maybe?

Regards,
B

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,136 ·
Hi Guys,
Can be done, but would be done after release not before, too many other important issues at the moment....

·
Registered
881 Posts
From a few months ago...

QUOTE (h00ch @ 10 Oct 2008, 15:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could be handy for having an option to force cars to slow down once they get to the LB last crossed by the deslotted car, then full speed after the next LB until the car is once again sensed to be back on the track or after a set amount of time. (like a sector yellow)

QUOTE (injectorman @ 10 Oct 2008, 15:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now thats thinking, and yes its very possible.

QUOTE (BentleyBoy @ 10 Oct 2008, 16:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And trigger a caution light next to the track? (I think the LBs have a spare output?). I'll stop short of having a marshall figure start waving a yellow flag (or will I......!)

QUOTE (h00ch @ 10 Oct 2008, 21:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course there would be a flashing yellow light or mechanical flag waving marshal... I thought that would be implied and I wouldn't need to mention that

QUOTE (Camber @ 11 Oct 2008, 03:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Outstanding
. That would be a really neat feature.

Cam

QUOTE (fronteren in 2. gear @ 11 Oct 2008, 05:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, sector yellow would be fun. Also nice wenn racing 1/24 cars. A greater chance getting your car home in one piece:)

QUOTE (Nigel Pendrigh @ 12 Oct 2008, 11:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps you could have a slower car be blue-flagged to move over when being lapped?

QUOTE (injectorman @ 12 Oct 2008, 15:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will be done but not straight up.

Well after you buy a Scorpius component people are welcome to write their own add ons. Blue flag is not so crucial as we have anti collision. Blue flag could work two ways
1) Freeze the car in its lane till faster car passes.
2) Make the slower car move to the non best line lane
I would make this optional nas it may bug some people.

Thats a function of brakes, try 30% setting for example. Basically Scorpius has the ability to do almost any difficult task asked of it. 0% would be full coasting.

Cheers
Rick

1121 - 1140 of 1170 Posts