1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yippeeeeee!

Ok ok ok calm down -
i have two left hands but also brains, patience and determination
i installed one LB, a pitlane entry piece (one LC led only, forget about the rest)
i installed a car chip in my teamslot saleen (tame 18K mabuchi)
i built up a small track - in fact, the pitlane section of my future permanent track
hooked up a power unit
put the car on the track
put 2 batteries in the controller
hit the brake button

and

IT WORKS! YES :) :)

Here a short video to give an impression:

Merc

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Very nice. My cat also like to run across the track - funny.
How do you like the controller?

I want to setup my track (when I get my order) to have one Lane Brain control two single Lane changer track pieces. So like you I will only use one beacon in front of the LC and nothing more. Then install the other LC beacon on another LC track piece down the track.

Did you get a dongle and more chips? you have make make a video racing against a ghost car.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yes Profoxcg, our cats find the digital slottrack fascinating :)

The controller is great! I have to say, i'm no expert - my current experience is vintage Fleischmann and standard Ninco 55 Ohm controllers.
But the control is smooth like a feather, in my opinion very responsive yet smooth in operation.
I have no problems with the easy trigger as i've read here from others, it feels great.
I only tested the brake knob - well that works well too! from strong braking to no brakes at all, the car responded brilliantly.

The car i have to admit, is not the strongest - it's a Team Slot Saleen with a 18K mabuchi inside, which used to be quite a lame car on my analogue track.
Here however, it feels like driving a whole different car! Quick and responsive.
I checked my power unit, which displays the used Amps - it drew 2.8 A for a moment when going full throttle, wew! hardly possible so much current?

Installing the car chip was way easier than i thought. I decided to place the chip off centre, so the antenna gets out at a good angle without touching anything metal.
Thanks to the small dimensions you can place the chip even in tight corners.
I placed the car sensor 12 mm offset, quite near the guide flag, as you can see. The closer, the better "catch", even when going sidewas.
I didn't bother to check ferrite man, ground wire etc. - maybe i should see into that later on.
I'm glad it simply worked right away without any flaws!

Yes i have a dongle too, and lots of chips.
Next thing will be setting up the software and so on - first i have to tear down the pitlane track, it's in the office and monday the room must be clear again.
I'll post a pic of how i did the LB - not quite neat or permanent, i just wanted to see the thing at work first.

So first i'll have to look into the software, after that chipping more cars and installing the other LB's. When that's done, surely i'll make a new vid, with multiple cars racing, yeehaa!

Merc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Mec,

Great video,

I know what you mean by: YIPPEEEEEE!

I now have 3 cars chipped (10 more to install)
3 controlers programmed (5 more to set up)
S/F Installed and programmed
2 Pit lane entrances for entrance off my NASCA track to my Road Course (using 1 LB)
2 Scalextric XLC'S Installed (16 More to install)

After upgrading my Scalextric 6 lane analog track to 6 car Digital when it first came on the market. The disappointment was very big.
Then I found Slot Forum. Then came all the upgrades which I did most of them, ending up with PB PRO / SH. Digital racing be came fun.
I have had a group of guys who come over to race every Wed. night during the winter for about 14 years. Most of them use my cars and controllers.
I have had as many as 22 BLOWN PB'S on my shelf as well, a stock pile of blown chips.

The only reason that I am telling you all this is because I am a firm beleaver in Scorpius.
I jumped on Scourpius the first time I read about it. I beleave in Scorpius and what Rick and crew have done so far to get Scorpius to what it is today.
For me Scorpius has been a pleasure to work with. Rick has put a very stable product out in the market place. Yes there are more things to improve on but out of the box it is great.

The controller is superb,it is light weight, the trigger is smoth and responsive. I am not the best driver in my group, but to win I will use that LC button no matter were it located on the controller. It is just a matter of practicing.

The secound LB I wired up I had a problem uploading the progamming. After many try's and not succedding I checkecked my wiring and found that I had the + & - wires reversed from the LB to the track. As I went to change the wiring I was wounder if I blew up my LB. There was no smell of burnt moffits (which I am all to familare with).

Switched wires and all is fine. ( Thanks Rick)

I hope to do a video soon myself.

Enjoy Merc

YEEPPEEEEE!

Dean

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Here's another one... I made a quick home track with my vintage Fleischmann track, containing the following:
- Carrera LC (modified to fit Ninco / Fleischmann gauge)
- Ninco XLC
- Ninco pitlane (modified to enable left side entry)

We drove with four cars. For the movie my 3 family members were driving, i was filming

No lapcounter LB installed (yet), so no lapcounting, only cruising and experiencing the digital way of driving, as we all are novice to this

Fun!!!

All went well. The only weird thing that happened was that at some point the Carrera LC clic-clacked when the Ninco LC's were supposed to be triggered. It seemed to happen randomly, i could not pinpoint one single LC led.
After that i turned off power, checked if all LB's were flashed to the same firmware version (they were) reconfigured them to check if they all had their own unique ID ( Carrera 1, Ninco XLC 2 and Ninco pitlane entry 3) and checked if some unused AC or LC beacons were catching light (they were all covered).
After doing this turned on power, all went smoothly after that.
No idea what caused the erraneous behaviour of the Carrera LC, but it did not happen again. Any clues Rick?

Other point: Carrera's long LC rules! Way better passing than the (shorter) Ninco LC.
I'd suggest to use Carrera for long straights and Ninco for the twistier parts.
It's easy to modify these LC's with the Scorpius Lane Brain. With some fiddling the Carrera can work on Ninco gauge:
I used the Carrera chicane track pieces for this, cut them up where their gauge narrowed to 90 mm)

I chipped 8 cars up till now, all with lighting (standard equipped or custom made) on board:
- Slot.it Nissan and McLaren
- Team Slot Saleen
- Scalextric McLaren (in video)
- Ninco Mosler (in video)
- Auto Art Ford GT (in video)
- Ninco Toyota Supra (with spirit motor)
- (vintage)SCX Bugatti EB 110
All drove well on the track, no failures or hiccups, keeping their own characteristics. I was quite pleased with how the Scaley McLaren handled, very smooth driving, felt even better than analogue control.
Driving the digital way is fun!

Ok enough talking, here's the vid

Merc

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Merc,
Yes that has happened to me a few times in the last 3 years. Trouble is it happens so seldom its hard to figure out what it is. Let me know it if happens again, Ill get onto John and see what it might be. Its obviously simulating a reset action.

Rick

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
After some time of intense racing i noticed one red button cap of the pitlane LB had gone off. In retrospect, it's possible that in the heat of the race, one of us accidentally hit the reset button of one of the LB's - causing it to reset and possibly lose its LB number, hence start the erraneous behaviour of LB 1.
That might very well explain it :)
Might be interesting for you or John to check what happens to the system when during racing a LB is accidentally pushed to reset.

Merc

p.s. best racing fun in times we had, Scorpius is here to stay :)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hey Merc,
Great to see the entire family having fun, that is really whats its designed for, human interaction, enjoying each others company. And its only the beginning

Rick

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, hope so!

I learned one important lesson this weekend, after picking up several spoilers, mirrors and other car debris: Lots of damage but lots of fun too. Darn, i want two more controllers heh :)
Maybe it's wise to chip a bunch of crash resistant Scaleys and learn how to drive digitally first.
After obtaining a "digital driver's licence" a driver can be allowed to drive the fragile slotits and pricy ninco cars ;-)

Then again, i like the higher danger factor of the digital driving: you have to be more aware of traffic, anticipating on other car's movements. There's way more to the digital driving game than the analogue style of making smoother and faster laps only.
As usual my girlfriend was the wisest on the track. No signs of road rage at all, simply keeping the car on track and evading problems. You guess which car she drove ;-) The childeren however... going for the limit and over, as usual too

And i keep coming back on this: the smooth control. I've never been able on analogue tracks to drive a car at crawling speed. Even with 55 Ohm controllers the minimum dot of juice would let the car take off at a considerable minimum speed. With Scorpius it´s feather light control, as if there´s way more range between zero and max.

Consider this a "scorpius digital driving user experiences" review heh ;-)

Merc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Merc,

Fun vidio to watch
I don't understand how any body can not love Digital racing like you said. The ability to drive side by side and planning that next lane changer to pass.
I am a telephone tech who goes into business's. When I step into an office with pictures or calenders of racing. I start promoting slot racing.
Showing pictures of my track as well as show off one of my cars, and now I carry a Scorpius controller with me.
Next I will take them to Slot Forum and bring up one of Ricks vidio of his track. I will be adding your vidio to show off as well.

I need to get a few more XLC'S rewired with Sorpius LB'S. Then I will get a vidio up on the forum.

Enjoy
Dean

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I should carry a controller with me also

Gee guys, sounds like Merc has been missing out on digital for a while. I have to say though, Glad you waited. I drove tonight for the first time thanks to a friend who shipped me a controller while mine gets fixed by Rick. I have to say wow. The throttle control and being able to drive motors I was not able to before is awesome.

=)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts