SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
"Digital is undoubtedly a clever idea, a true slot car innovation, but in a year I think will be dominated by those showing creativity I doubt it will offer the expansion the makers involved hope for."

Hmmm.... I really hope that you are proven wrong, Scott. I believe that digital slot racing is the future. Beppe (Xlot) and his Sicilian friends have told me to believe this. Actually, I think that they are right. Surely, is this day and age, no company would invest to the extent that SCX, Carerra and now Hornby has, in a new system without doing their homework?

And yes, even if the are 1/18th scale and even if they don't lean into the corners, I firmly believe that MotoGP will also be a success.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
78 Posts
As I say in the column, timing is everything. That's why I'm laughing that just as I post a piece saying how clever Hornby is for not having digital...they announce digital.

Oh well, just goes to show what I know.

Next month I'll be predicting that I'll never win the lottery.

Nuro, you might want to add this as a pps to the piece for readers who don't see this thread.

Scott

·
Registered
263 Posts
"Ninco's other new line (or at least reinterpretation of an old idea) is Paris-Dakar style 4x4s with so-called independent suspension. Desert racing has even fewer followers than ChampCars, but at least the big Pajero has the potential to tap into the boom in big 4x4s as family cars. I can just see little Johnnie's Mum, Dad or other indulging relation buying a Pajero since they have one parked on the drive."

Scott, I find what you write to be very interesting, especially what you said above about the Ninco Pajeros.
At our club track, Turismo Raceway we have a grand total of TWO Pajeros, and I can tell you straight up that one of the guys who has one drives a Pajero everyday, the second belongs to a very good friend of his. Both purchases were no doubt inspired by Carmelos 1:1 car.
Like you I think they're great but don't find them to be a priority on my 'want' list.
I was and am however very surprised by the detail, performance and functionality of these 'cool' cars.
We comfortably race them in our Ninco Rally class. They don't win but they are competitive. The suspension works that well that the mudflaps that are attached to the chassis have actually worn to the angles that the car corners at.
People like Luf from www.oldslotracer.com by no means are the norm, but the Raid Pajeros have allowed Luf to be super creative and design and race his purpose built Raid track. Things like this certainly help give the Pajero individuality and exposure which of course does the same for Ninco.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Don`t give up your day job!

Nuro, how can you describe that as an insight? Surely it`s just another uninformed opinion. Now if you had someone actually involved in the slot car industry then I`d be interested. Someone like Sean or Simon at GS must be first in line as they know what`s going on (even if they don`t wear a suit to work!). To not include Fly because they don`t make track is laughable.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Jonny S - don't give up yours!
Suggest you look up the meaning of 'insight' before disagreeing.
One may or may not agree with what is very clearly a personal view , but the gratuitous insults, without alternatives, do not assist your credibility.
This was an extremely well-written piece by Scott which I found entertaining and informative, though I do not necessarily agree with it all. If you were to present your alternative view, WITHOUT the abrasiveness, I am sure it would be equally welcome.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`ve got no intention of giving up my day job of running Phoenix as 250 plus people a week racing there seem to think I`m doing a reasonable job? (full time for me by the way). On that basis if I write about racing at our club, that`s insight isn`t it?

You miss my point. I`m challenging a point of view by offering my view,which isn`t meant to be personal. We are all entitled to our opinion. keep a sense of humour eh, after all Scott must be up for having a laugh dressing up in his suit? Take it easy, cheers,

Jon

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
G'Day
In Scot's column he questions the sense of Ninco producing a CART racing car and its limited appeal. As a large proportion of the drivers in that series come from South America perhaps Ninco feel that they can tap into a new market " south of the border down Mexico way" and beyond.
How ever with the CART series looking a bit sick presently maybe we'll see another over priced collectable on E-Pay.
Lenny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts