Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
For a very Groovy read, the March edition of Scott's Slot is now online: click here

Thanks Scott.

Q: Do you think that licensing rights have a part to play in the lack of recent 1:32 Le Mans Cars? Also, this year sees the start of the Le Mans Series: 1000 km at Monza, Nûrburgring, Silverstone and Spa. Should be exciting and should generate a little more general interest in the style of racing.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice one Scott. You did well knocking that out after all your travels .

I always think of Stephen Fry in Black Adder goes Forth..."Dirty word ...SLOT!"
I`m sure the likes of Fergy,Howmeet and co. will be able to shed some light on how the name was chosen? We used to call ourselves a Slot club now we are back to being a Scalextric club so Joe Publico can understand what we are about, it does make a difference to membership numbers.

Licensing appears to have a lot to answer for. Once upon a time it was all a lot simpler and I suppose more amateurish. The topic on what has changed since the 60`s made me think. Was I happier when I had just six cars as opposed to 700 plus on the shelf and around 200 club cars (mine and used by all)? After the club night tonite and debate over which cars to use in GT2 I can honestly say I`m tired of the number of models that there are available. I don`t know how the likes of Sean and GS and Gary manage their stock control, nitemare. Having said all that I`ll wake up tomorrow and some new car will catch my eye and I`ll have to have it!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Nice item, Scott!

There is allegedly a PS2 game by Play It called GROOVE RIDER. It's slot racing on your TV, but with weapons and other power ups apparently, all taking place on 4 lane tracks on your lounge floor etc. Yes, you can swap grooves!

I'm trying to get hold of a copy (Play It titles should retail for a tenner), but Game don't stock such budget titles. I'll have to surf the net...

Regarding the Fast & Furious-type streetcars and endless re-paints. I think the manufacturers would need to do quite a few different moulds too, so that the plethora of different styling kits is catered for (check out the kit options available in Need For Speed Underground on the PS2 !!
) My Skyline is rather rapid

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hmmm... very interesting....the earliest reference I can recall referred to our pasttime as "slot" car racing. Well, after the plain and somewhat nondescript "electric model car racing", that is. Why "slot"? Actually, I don't know, because "groove" would have been more accurate. A "slot" is typically an elongated opening that passes entirely through an object - a "mail slot", a "coin slot", etc. A "groove", on the other hand, is typically just a narrow recess into the surface of an item. Sooo....it looks like Scott's right! We're "groove racers", baby!

And the only thing I truly "groove" on are sports cars (and, of course, F1). Dump the F & F wannabe cars - give me sports cars or give me death!
Oh, oh, let me rephrase that... people are already at my door....

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Interesting read as always Scott.

I fully agree with your comments about Le Mans cars. This class must represent at least 75% of my own collection.

An age distribution curve, age of owner against car type would make interesting reading, as would age v magent or non-magnet, I bet I could predict the results!.

Keep up the groovy work.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm surprised there are not official Fast and Furious slot cars, especially from scalextric who are very aware of the lucrative film-tie-in market. I wouldn't buy any of them, but i'm sure it would attract a new load of people to the hobby, and make a few bucks, even if the licence was steep.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I think that the licence would be astronomical

Also the lifespan of the public awareness of the models is only a year or two max.

Someone could bring out a range of tune-it-yourself cars based on popular ricers (or Renaults & Peugeots for the Euro lads).

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Please, please, I beg of you - no rice boy cars!

Supras and Skylines, yes but not street versions!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
QUOTE Please, please, I beg of you - rice boy cars!

strange comment scott I wouldnt mind a few neither

and scott's slot? hell I dont want to know!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I wonder if Overdrive make chassis neon kits?
It was a shame that in Too Fast Too Furious Brian's Skyling got nuked by an EMP gun. That car was far better (looks and performance-wise) that the Lancer Evo he drove later! However it was good to see a couple of US chassis-rocking V8 muscle cars put to good use though!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
have a hated passion for skylines.
lancer much better, yes big engines and rwd are a laugh, the grass outside our house did like the idea too much though, didnt give me much grip this morning went something like this -

go out to move car off drive and fill up washer jet water (smashing job I did of that) then with some hilarity I tried to negotiate the uphill corner without anything but damn mirrors.. hmm not the best of things.. however Inte appears to have got stuck and not moving so as you do it's add a little acceleration and according to many theories the more the merrier so I carried on thinking hmm not much grip this mornin.. get out, ooops I thought it was slippy, damn grass got in the way!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Err..the Skylines are 4WD, apart from some race ones and earlier version which are RWD. You only hate 'em 'coz you're jealous Inte!!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Difflock @ 5 Mar 2004, 01:38 AM)I'm trying to get hold of a copy (Play It titles should retail for a tenner), but Game don't stock such budget titles. I'll have to surf the net...
Try your local Safeway, mine had it for £9.99

Coop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts