SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have designed and started to build my pit building.

I plan to have a three level building - garages at the bottom, VIP suites, restaurant and winners podium on second level, and control tower and press box on third level.

Design is to scale - will see what it looks like - as and when I build it.

I decided on using 3mm foam core as base for the walls - easy to cut, very stiff and solid.

Following pics are the start of the garages:

Ground floor walls and staircases cut, ready for pre-assembly:

Assembled and put onto track area to check... all looks ok - building only assembled not squared and glued as yet.

Printed and cut floor test piece as well as staircase, check for fit.... all ok - needs more work though.

Right hand staircase still bare...

Standing back and having an overview:

I still have lots to do - so let me get on with it...

Cheers!

Theo

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi TeeKay,
Looking good so far .......... will you be producing kits and/or plans??

The track surface is great and looks very realistic ........ how did you achieve that?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg,

I'll make the plans available, no problem, but best will be to wait till I'm done. There are small changes that I make as I go along because the practical side of things do not always work as designed. I will not make kits available though. I do not have the time for that.

I have no issues in sharing my plans and or designs, as I am learning from all members of this and the Papermodelers.com forum, I believe in giving back as much as possible.

My designs are all done MS Powerpoint - seems strange but I'm very old school in drawing - thus I can mail all my designs/plans to whomever requests it. I do not have anywhere to post the .ppt files for download.

As for the track surface - refer to this post in my track thread

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Loving how the buildings are shaping up - I was wondering from your track thread what you were going to do in that space.

Plans or dimensions would be cool when you are ready.

Keep the photos coming, I can't wait to see more

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
TeeKay,
when you do decide to post the layouts, there is a thread on the forum for building designs.
You may want to double post there as well.
Cheers!

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
QUOTE (TeeKay @ 5 May 2012, 13:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My designs are all done MS Powerpoint - seems strange but I'm very old school in drawing - thus I can mail all my designs/plans to whomever requests it. I do not have anywhere to post the .ppt files for download.
Wow, using Powerpoint as a drawing package shows an almost masochistic dedication to the task. Wouldn't something like Inkscape be easier ? It's free, and if you have ever used Corel Draw, you would feel right at home with Inkscape.

Also, if you have (or get) a GMail account, you can host files on Google Docs, and post a link to it that Google Docs give you. They don't give away a huge amount of space, so it's no good for sharing large files like videos and such, but for small files like PDFs, DOCs, XLSs etc you can fit quite a lot out there.

Your work on this is absolutely fantastic by the way. I love that Allianz strip down the middle. It's really screams, "Pit lane, baby, yeah !"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the kind words everyone.

I'm currently in Namibia for business for the week, thus no building work, but my notebook and ppt files are with me, thus more detail planning to do.

@ Sealevel - i'll try and get posting on the other thread you mentoined. Must go and find it first.

@ stooo - I'm very proficient in ppt, get everything done what I need to do. Yes, maybe I must get a real drawing package, but am too lazy to learn something new - will get to that though.

I have a dropbox account, will check if I can upload ppt and pdf files for public sharing. Will let you know.

@ Mr Modifier - some basic dimensions:

Width of a garage - 180 mm , based on the length plus a bit of my longest F1 car. I want the six cars to be able to park with a bit of room to spare in front of its own garage along the pit lane.

Depth of a garage is 165 mm, again based on the length of my longest car plus a wee bit, in the case that I want to park the car in the garage. Thus leaving a lot of space on the sides for stuff like workbenches, tool cabinets etc.

Garage door opening height - 76 mm, approx scale to normal garage height of 2.4 m.

Height of 1st floor 95 mm, approx scale of normal building height of 3 m or 10 ft.

Stairs 5.5 mm raisers, 10mm horisontal , scale to normal stairs of 170 mm raisers and 340 mm levels.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Theo

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

After some more work during the last two weeks - at least the ground floor / garages / officials' office are now done....

I've designed and built the garage doors to be of the "roll-up" type.

Some pics without the roof / 1st floor in place:

Each car in it's garage ..... (the floor is not stuck down as yet)

With the roof / 1st floor in place ....

Thanx for watching!

Next phase is the 1st floor - Restaurant, VIP suites, podium, Control tower, Press Box.

Patience...

Cheers!

Theo

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Really impressive stuff there TeeKay Like your pit garage very much and I like your timing huts even more, I was wondering if you have done any plans for those? A Template would be great, I've been looking for ever I bought some Fly ones ages ago and of course cant get any more so I hope if you don't mind helping me out maybe.

Thanks in advance

Athrlyth

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Simply wonderful, Teekay!
Can hardly wait to see the next stage in your progress.
Cheers!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanx for all the compliments, Gentlemen!

@Jens, I'll add the weathering later, need to do garages' lighting and 1st floor first....

@alaskaracer1: I'll do some detail photos tomorrow night for you... Tonight's party night first. All about priorities

@stoooo: No, you got it wrong. Bernies's suite is supposed to be on the top floor, still to be built
- although, that will be the day, he will not get a spot on MY track!

The bottom office is for the pace car crew... will post better pics tomorrow.

Cheers!

Theo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts