SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since I bought a few carrara cars, more for the bodies than anything else, I first was thinking of upgrading the motor and axles and pinions etc to tune them. Then I realized if I do all that, I can better design my own car.

This is what I have come up with so far.

The idea was to use a double axle motor like the nasaka II and go against every rule of conventional anglewinder/sidewinder/inline setup, for fun.
Basicly there havent been many inovations that made a big impact on the chassis, we have come a long way in molding bodies.

So I want to do something different. This is the design I came up with so far. Altough this shows a 2 motor 4 wheel drive, this concept can also be done for a rear or front wheel drive by removing 1 motor.

The chasis is "steerable" in front and will be equiped with springs to allow for track elevations like banked corners whilst maintaining optimate traction. I choose an audi chasis for this one, because of the quatro concept and the open engine bay cover.

My question is:

1. Can I put the wheels directly on the engine shafts, without gears. Or is that something that wouldnt work as one need the gearing. Alternatively I will use two sidewinder setups. Or is this so onconvential that actualy nobody knows.

Please feel free to comment but lets keep it constructive.

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
It may not be an issue for something as powerful (in terms of power to weight ratio) as a slot car, but getting rid of the gearing would be like pulling away in top gear in your real car.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think you'll need to run gearing, otherwise it probably won't pull itself along.
How are you going to make the CV joints for the front wheels, you've said you're going to have 4wd and steering.
I look forward to watching your progress but I don't think it will work as well as a conventional slotcar

·
Registered
88 Posts
No CV's. The wheels go directly on the motor axles.

The whole motor moves under springs in this chassis.

It "steers" on a pivot in front.

I probably need to build a few prototypes to see if getting away with gears is an option, or that it will be sidewinder setups.
Basicly its 4 idea's in one. I need to see what survives and is feasable and if all of this does anything to make the fastest slotcar
in the stable with maximum traction.

1. A "steerable" slot car that uses the guide as steering
2. Suspension
3. Motor without gears setup
4. A dual engine slot car

If gears are needed, then its still steerable due to the pickup but then convential propulsion is again considered.
If I have to run gears, sidewinder setup is considered, with gears on two sides, to have traction close to two wheels instead of being on 1 side of the axle.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Good luck, it does sound interesting, but I don't understand the steering, are you going to have a solid front axle that has a pivot at the centre, you do realise 1:1 cars steer nothing like this but it is how TCR cars steered.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 28 Mar 2012, 09:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good luck, it does sound interesting, but I don't understand the steering, are you going to have a solid front axle that has a pivot at the centre, you do realise 1:1 cars steer nothing like this but it is how TCR cars steered.

Yes, I do at first idea..

But still researching it at this stage to see if steering has any benifit to start of with.

If I want proper steering, the twoengine idea will be canned/impossible.

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forum...ad.php?p=255515

This would be proper steering.. With a gear, on the pickup. The pickup changes direction and thus moves the wheels.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
IMO you will need to have gearing if you are going to use slot car motors, the load with direct drive will be too much, running much below 2.5 to one and the motors start to run hot.
Julian te steering will be like a billy cart front axle steering.

Enjoy building it, I have seen thing like this build before and never seen one go very well!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
That picture you show, is one of my steering units. It requires no connection between the guide and the steering arm, as, it steers all by itself, and, follows the slot with amazing accuracy, no matter what the back end of the car is doing.

It even works with a plain pin guide.

Why connect it to guide, when, it already works fine without being connected???

Direct drive has been tried many times, and, just doesn't work. Very slow acceleration, and, absolutely no brakes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (bwaminispeed @ 28 Mar 2012, 13:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That picture you show, is one of my steering units. It requires no connection between the guide and the steering arm, as, it steers all by itself, and, follows the slot with amazing accuracy, no matter what the back end of the car is doing.

It even works with a plain pin guide.

Why connect it to guide, when, it already works fine without being connected???

Direct drive has been tried many times, and, just doesn't work. Very slow acceleration, and, absolutely no brakes.

Cool! Respect.

Thanks for the answers. back to the drawingboard then.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
As said, it needs the gearing to accelerate, otherwise there'll be too much current passing through the motor and it'll overheat. Standard gearing is about 27 teeth to 9, or 3:1 torque multiplication. You're using two motors so you've got twice the torque, but I still don't think it'll be enough and the motor will overheat.

As for the steering, BWAminispeed's setup is in your picture and he's built a few like that. I tried it with two prototypes and couldn't get it to be reliable once the wheels start to pick up dust and debris, it would slow one wheel down a little which was enough to steer it. I ended up linking the guide to the steering arms but I'm just starting on another development with more trail which I hope will steer without the linkage.

You can have a look at the thread in my signature for some details of my front suspension and steering design. Could be handy to see what works and doesn't. However my car isn't built to be fast, just to look cool when cornering.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Cool project! You may be able to find some slot car sized electric motors from electronic spupply houses that have much lower rpm ratings and would work without gear reduction. Most slot cars use a Mabuchi FC-130 type motor, but there are several manufacturers of similar motors with a wide variety of specifications. I would look for a 5-6,000rpm motor? Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts