SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've recently taken an interest in scratch building chassis. This leads not to the construction of a multitude chassis but more to the aquisition of numerous bits of brass, wire and other chassis related materials.

How in the world do you store this stuff in an organized fashion?

This isn't some deep dark secret, is it?
I have bits everywhere. I just got done putting all my round stock in small jars with no lids so the ends stick out but that's not going to work. I still need to sort the flat stock too. Being that I just started doing this stuff I still need to get another boat load of stuff but I'd like to have some kind of storage system in place before I bury myself.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I'd be interested in any suggestions too. In my last house I had space for a wall of industrial shelving at one end of my workshop, so it was a snap to keep supplies of all sorts organized and clearly labelled. I'm tight on space right now so everything gets jumbled together and I have to dig thru stuff and pull out the calipers to measure when looking for something in particular. Someone must have a good system for small shops?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmm, well I don't have much scratch building stuff loitering about....but I have tons of pc building bits n bobs around. I tend to use plastic boxes from the local pound shop. They're clear/opaque with flippers to seal the lids. The footprint is about A4 size and they're about 6ins deep.

Easy to stack, label, seal and very cheap. For smaller bits and bobs I use plastic containers that come with chinese food/curry in them. Each large box taking about 6 smaller boxes.

Don't know if that's really much help.....but your local £1 shop may be a useful starting point.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Thanks, MM! Yes, I keep smaller bits in something similar, but the piano wire can range from 36" down in size, and the brass in sizes of 12" or less.... just seems hard to organize efficiently.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I use various lengths of small diameter PVC pipe and the appropriate end caps from the plumbing department of local hardware store as storage for piano wire, brass rod, tubing and plate. It also gives an airtight seal so the materials don't corrode or tarnish as quickly.

Bob S.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you want to be able to see the stock, you can use the clear plastic tubes sold to protect long fluorescent light tubes. They're available at hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. Cut to length and cap them. Useful at 12" for brass stock, or at 36" for piano wire.

Marcus

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good thinking Marcus. Oddly enough, I was just looking at those things TODAY wondering if there was another use for them. You weren't watching me look at them, were you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts