SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Toy

finished this up in recent weeks; had sat on my bench for almost a year as I figured it out. Based on the Aurora "Fiat Abarth" kit from the 1960's. Been on this kick of seeing how much I can squeeze into smaller cars: here I was able to include the kit's full interior as well as an Aurora driver figure, small as he is, at least he fits! Car is very "shallow", precluding just about every motor I could think of except for this tiny "cube" style mabuchi. Another challenge were the tiny wheels; some old MRRC press-fit units at the back drilled 2mm requiring me to use a current Carrera axle. Luckily from somewhere I found 2 tiny bearings, which were carefully epoxied into the kit's plastic pan to serve as a chassis. Breaking my "vintage only" rules had me dig out someone's 2mm beveled spur (Ninco??) to use in conjunction with their tiny pinion which was a near perfect press-fit onto the motor shaft. I had originally been thinking sidewinder with rear-mount motor, but the size of the wheels/spur precluded that as well, so you know where that led me: an anglewinder! Fiddled around forever getting the motor/gears in just the right arrangement, and finally secured the motor to the rear pan with both silicone adhesive (to minimize vibration) and resin epoxy. Teensy small gauge wire soldered to the motor snakes around the interior to the front where I decided to go with a pin guide with braid inserted/secured through the pan. Traditional flags were all too clunky, even the small ones. Front wheels are Campagnolo style plastic jobs, I think off an older Spanish slotcar, running on a 3/32 axle in the pan's molded in lugs for such. The other pair were ground down for inserts at the rear. A couple of computer board 4-40 "offsets" are used to secure the body to the pan.
The car goes well, but I am nervous with that tiny little motor on my 12v 4a setup, so I'm using my 60 ohm controller. Even then, I'm limiting my laps! Emboldened now, I have tackled my old Russkit Lotus 23 body which is even more shallow! In 1/32, this car is just miniscule!
Steve in CO

· Registered
814 Posts
Nice building as usual Steve, and far from easy! Not much idea about that Aurora kit, how much long and wide it is? The rims seem to be those used on the Spanish Scalextric Mustang and Corvette dragsters.
I'm having similar size problems -still unsolved- with a Russkit Maserati, but I'm trying to keep using Russkit motor, gear and rims.
Cheers,
Eduardo

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4-1/2 in. long. 1-7/8 wide x 3/4 to 1/2 "deep" at the rear. I could not take advantage of the 3/4 behind the driver, so the motor went behind the rear axle (true to prototype!) in the 1/2 inch area. TIGHT!
As to the rims, you would know as I seem to remember getting them from you 20 or so years ago! They have come in handy a couple of times with their very small dia. I wonder where I'll use my last four?
As to those early Russkit "kits", much could be said. Just recently while finishing up my Lotus 23 (taa-daa! finished yesterday!) I was reminded how the "instruction" sheet included in those huge boxes offered nothing to help in relation to the contents of the box! Let alone if the illustrated chassis would even fit the given body.
I too like the "purity" of an original vintage slotcar, but with these 4 kits, you pretty much have to throw that out the window. Probably 30 years ago, Rocky Russo handed me a MIB of the Maserati with the words "good luck! A few over 5 years ago I took him up on the challenge (may he RIP). A move to a 13d motor is essential, and surgery is still required to get even that to fit! Trying to keep at least some of the kit, that car amazingly let me mount the rear set-screw wheels with their space-robbing hubs, but only because I threw out the supplied motor bracket: way too wide. Some Auto Hobbies brackets have been the salvation on both of these builds; NARROW is the word. No room left at the front, so I think (would have to look) I went to a trailing type guide from Rail Line. Staying true to the contents of the box rather than the "instructions", both this one, my new Lotus, and my Lister from probably 35 years ago, were all soldered up with tubes.
I could rattle on, but you get the idea. I think there is an image of my Maserati here somewhere with the string about my 450s Maserati. Maybe I can get an image of this car with my new Lotus if I visit my friend this week!
S
Oh, dimensions of the Lotus: 4-1/4 (shorter!) x 1-7/8 (same) x just short of 3/4 deep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts