SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I read with great interest in Tony Condon's excellent book that there was a controversial 6 wheeled slot racer that was so succesful that it won everything and was banned?

I would love to know the reason that it became so succesful!
And did anyone build/race one ...and do you still have it?.
.ken

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi DR,

The Tyrrell 6-wheeler was succesful cos the upper pans were mounted on the second pair of wheels.

This effectively made the car VERY stable, compared to cv 4 wheel cars with their pans limited to the width of the centre chassis.

We all built them, till every ECRA F1 grid had nothing but, and so they were banned in the interests of diversity. ( No, Not that diversity !! ).

Yes, some probably still exist, but most, I reckon, like mine, would have been converted back to 4-wheels.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wish someone would bring out a decent P34, I know scaley did one a long time ago. SCX did one to but there almost too rare/expensive to race.
I have seen a scratchbuild on here before, not a vintage one tho

SCX

Scratchbuild

Link to build-

TEEZ,

·
Registered
95 Posts
The scalextric (uk) one was released much before the scx version, around the time the car actually raced. 76 - 77

The scx is a limited edition released only in Spain under the Altaya branding. It may be a re-issue.

Im almost certain tho these cars are different. i may be wrong.

Teez,

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hi DR,
Not wishing to tease but some time ago a very generous club mate, Gavin Wills, gave me this chassis and a spare new Betta Tyrell body. My aim is to do a complete rebuild/refurb and I've already managed to buy a new set of front wheels from Betta. The timescale for the refurb is open ended, I've got projects stacking up enough to last me years to say nothing of the weekly demands of running at two clubnights at Wellingborough.

I believe this was roughly state of the art for these six wheelers, I was in an enforced layoff from slot racing at the time so can't vouch for it's authenticity, maybe a few who were around at the time can comment.

Mike T

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
QUOTE The scalextric (uk) one was released much before the scx version, around the time the car actually raced. 76 - 77

The scx is a limited edition released only in Spain under the Altaya branding. It may be a re-issue.

Im almost certain tho these cars are different. i may be wrong

No, they are the same car
It was never released in the UK.
It was first produced by (Spanish) Scalextric Exin and a reissue was done a few years ago by Tecnitoys (who now own the Spanish Scalextric company) and was avaliable in both Scalextric and SCX versions (Scalextric for Spain and SCX for the rest of the world)
Tecnitoys then produced the car for Altaya
They are all from the same tooling.

Derek still has the Williams six wheeler chassis, here are some modern pictures of it, now restored to full working condition

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
QUOTE It was never released in the UK.

Sorry late night slip of the tongue, this should of course read 'It was never produced in the UK', as the Tecnitoys SCX Vintage re-release was sold here.
Also the Exin cars were sold here in very limited quantities by Victoria Models but this was not an official release.

Matchbox made an excellent 1/32 static kit of the P34 which can be converted to slot easily enough

Here's one I have at the moment

This one has a Scalextric chassis with doubled up Airfix steering units.
It's promised to Maurizio Ferrari (Slot it) who is an avid six wheeler F1 collector
Sorry Maurizio I will remember it next time I see you!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
That's a tidy-looking four-wheel steerer, Phil. It'd be interesting to see the upper side, though understandable if you don't wish to dismantle it.
Among six-wheelers, there's also the March, of course. Scalex did a 2WD, and some scratchbuilders have built genuine 4WD cars. They're covered in earlier threads. Try the SlotForum search box.
Rob J

·
Phil Smith
2,638 Posts
Here you go, never actually looked myself!

There is no actual connection to the rear set of front wheels, they steer by the simple method of the wheels touching each other, not sure how that would work on the track!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks, Phil. Yes - strange. Perhaps if the second pair of wheels had tyres with next to no grip...
Rob J

Second thoughts, an hour later. ALL front tyres smooth and friction-free, like Airfix fronts from c1978-80, though they're probably too large.
I'm sure some SlotForum guru could come up with a full steering system, though the geometry is beyond me. Maybe a guide pivoting between the two axle lines, with two tie-rod pegs and short links???

1 - 20 of 243 Posts