SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be a good idea to have ONE thread covering SCS wireless related issues. Right now it is spread over several topics with no natural place to post feedback and questions. We will use this thread for announcments, progress, etc.

Cheers
Ola & Thobias

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Starting with this one from another thread

QUOTE (sealevel @ 18 Jan 2012, 08:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know you are looking at a 6 channel receiver. This would be more marketable rather than a collection of 2 channel receivers or a single 3x2 channel box (bulky). This should be for the next stage of development after the next suggestion.

Have you considered rather than specific frequency transmitters to put a rotary switch on the case to select the channel... that is, a multi-frequency transmitter which selectable channel/ID?

This would mean one transmitter design for all IDs. This is also a more marketable product.

Look forward to the development of this product.

Cheers!

Yes, I fully agree that a 2*3 setup is not very ideal for 6ch racing. So, a 6ch receiver is on its way. As long as we're using current design with 43X MHz we can't use a single receiver chip, that would compromise performance and we don't want that. So, we will stick with 6 individual receivers within one box. This might be subject to change in a future version with a quicker wireless bridge, allowing more channels in one chip. That will lower the cost, but not dramatically.

So, to answer your question..
Yes, we have considered several different ways to allow the user to change frequency. But (and here you might have valuable input) question is if there's any benefits with that?

I probably should start with explaining what the SCS ID's are. What we have done with matching the ID's to a specific frequency is just a way of keeping track of the frequencies and give the user an easy way to know which transmitter he has. In practice it doesn't matter which of our transmitter you use with which SSD ID. You can for example run the ID3 transmitter on SSD ID6. We originally had a system with colors instead of ID's but we thought that it only adds another parameter for the user to keep track on. If this approach is confusing or just a simple way to keep track of frequencies is a good question! Your opinion is very welcome.

Back to the question now when you know how our ID works, do you still think it would be a useful feature for the user to change frequency on the transmitter? What it would mean in practice is the same as swapping controller cables on the PB. It means you can quickly change cars with each other's or change lanes if you run analogue. But it doesn't replace the actual car ID'ing in digital mode.

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
I guess the biggest advantage is if two or three guys buy a pair of transmitters and one receiver, but then they get together for a big race, they can change the frequencies and use all 4 or 6 controllers. Currently, they would have to plan in advance to purchase three different pairs to ensure they can all be used together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can see a benefit from changable id as mr Flip said when mates get to race they bring thier box with them and set id's to suit .I havent actually recieved my first order yet so am
unable to comment on the room required for three boxes stacked but it could be a dramma on some tracks i guess. Bearing that in mind you would say go the 6 channel box but that would make adjustable id's on the two channel not really a must depending on release of the 6 channel box as customers who already have the 2 channel would obviously like to be able to change id's.
I would like to point out the real benefit of this system is its absolute simplicity and although progress is a good thing it can also be a negative I have both scorpius and ssdc wireless
and they are great in thier own right but are limmiting in terms of only being good if you use the required software which i understand but it can become exspensive and doesnt encourage growth within the whole slotting community. as i always say (kiss) keep it simple!

cheers
Glen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, you are right, there might be benefits when joining forces and bringing two systems with potentially same frequencies.

Then one question is if it is worth to add components making the system 10-15 dollars more expensive for this functionality? Based on the probability that the systems will end up together out of all systems we deliver, I'd say the answer is no. We shouldn't add this cost to all systems sold. I also agree with Glen, that we should keep the original idea, keep it simple!

There is another way to achieve this which could be treated as an option. It is not as elegant as an ID knob, but it will work. We can easily deliver replacement chips as an option. This would add ~15 dollars and it will give the user access to all frequencies by swapping the chip in transmitter and receiver. Do you think that would be a good compromise?

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
I've seen that kind of thing, but never replaced a chip in one. Can it be done by hand like a bit of RAM, or does it need a special tool to remove and install?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If by special tool you mean a small screwdriver then yes! There is a tool that you can get that is designed to lift the chip out of its socket but I use a screwdriver to very carefully pry one end out a bit then pry the other end, I do this till the chip is out of the socket. You do have to be careful as you can bend the pins on the chip very easily. I think you can get a tool from Radio Shack for a few dollars and I would recommend using one rather than the screw driver method that I use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like a good fix i guess now its a question of do you wait for the six car setup or jump on in now with the 2car setup .I would guess that most would still go the two car option
and build on that .

cheers
Glen

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
OK, now for another "off the wall" idea...

If the current 6 channel version is 3 x 2-channel...

Is it possible to build "stackable" units (much like Lego) so that one buys a 2 channel system... then later upgrades by adding more modules?

I was thinking of how the lap displays for SCX appear... cars 1-3 on the base unit... cars 4-6 on the second unit.

If they cannot be stacked then maybe an adapter/stand that they could plug into ... .like the "docking stations" for laptops several years ago... where each module plugs into the "base station" when going beyond 2 channels?

Just some wild ideas... which means it must be time for bed!

Cheers!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sealevel great idea from an end users and from a manufacturing point of view. It would mean that the guys a SCS would only have to hold one size of project box in stock. The cost of the 6 channel box could not be much more than a 2 channel box so it should not impact the price of a 2 channel system much if at all.
Also a belt clip would be nice.
Another thought is it possible for the 6 channel unit to have a wire harness so only one 12 core ( or 7 core if common ground ) comes out of the box then splits into 6x2 core cables with the plugs on the end? Of course you would have to identify each of the plugs with its channel number.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ola & Thobias,

Any plans to offer a wireless conversion for NINCO N-Digital? I can help with the specs and/or testing.

I haven't read all the specs but can you offer a track call option that will disable the throttle control on all the controllers to stop all the cars on the track?

Best regards,
Brian

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
Does N-Digital already have a controller-based track call button option? If not, then I don't think he'll be able to add one, since this system "cuts the wire" on standard controllers.

·
Registered
916 Posts
N-Digital does have a track call button on the central console. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the option to leave the power base running while stopping the cars on the track by cutting the throttle to the cars with a button on the receiver. If using two receivers, the buttons could be spread out making it easier to stop the cars compared to using the one button on the central console. This would also be a great feature for SCX Digital since that system doesn't have a track call option on the power base.

Even better may be the option to have a yellow flag, when the button is pressed the cars can only go to 1/2 speed. This will slow down the cars, making it easier to put any cars back on the track and then press the button again to resume racing.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi Brian,
We have so far not had a look on the Ninco system and we have just started on the SCX, but if there is a genuin interest we ofcourse will look into this.

In regards of Trackcall or Yellow flag the system should be able to handle this but there will be some additional cost involved due to extra buttons and some extra components. Technically there is no problem.

Please send the technical specs you have so I can investigate.

Regards
Thobias
www.slotcarsolutions.com

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Mainly the voltage or resistive values of the controler sending to the base and information about type of plugs and connection diagram of the plug.

Thobias

1 - 20 of 173 Posts