SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just picked up a Focus 4WD SCX 'Dirt Effect'. Looks great but runs carp!.

Any suggestions to fine tuning / tinkering with anything to make it run smoother?.

BTW are all SCX cars noisy?

Regards

Neil Dudman

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Neil: The noise is most likely to be miss alignment of the motor shafts to the axle,I find that the motor mounts often needs to be "cleaned up" to allow the motor to sit at the correct height. The front motor bearing needs to be checked as they are often sloppy. We allow the 4 x 4 turbo motors so I usually start with replacing the motor! The tyres need gluind and truing.

Phil.

·
Registered
543 Posts
a long break in period, let the motor run with six or nine volts for several hours after oiling everything, will usually help quite things.

also the motor brushes aren't shaped to match the motor armature. in the past i would just let the car run for a few days to let the brushes conform. this also let the gears know each other very well. now i hook the motor up to nine volts, make sure its turning clockwise, and drop it in water for five or ten minutes. this causes the brushes to conform quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You will have guessed that the answer is "yes" to the original question.

Do you not find it totally astounding in this day and age that several days of running is required to allow the mechanics to bed in to potentially permit a small reduction in decibel levels?

Its all very fine and dandy having noisy (and fast?) cars at a club circuit but home users in the UK demand silent running. This is to permit other members of a household to get on with their own interests whilst the slot cars are running. Not everybody has the benefit of exclusive use of a room for slot cars.

We should name and shame those manufacturers who cannot offer a car with sensible decibel levels for the home user.

Only then may they take action.

Scalextric, Carrera and Revell produce the quietest running cars by a very wide margin.

SCX, Fly and Ninco can be some of the noisiest.

At the end of the day this has an aweful lot to do with how well the mechanics of the car are designed and put together in the first place. More noise = inefficient (sloppy?) design and questionable quality control.

Note that the cars that are quieter have stubs built into the design of the car body to hold the running gear in place once the body is fitted and the running gear is held in place very tightly as a result.

Those that are so very noisy have running gear that rely solely on the chassis to hold the running gear in place and therefore that running gear is permitted to rattle.

It is argued that the running gear can be glued in place to reduce noise but why should we be asked to do that? And doing this can lead to problems and broken running gear mounts when you attempt to change components. And even with running gear glued in place cars that start noisy are still noisy, but marginally less so.

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Very fair points made by Moped above.
Even though I have (gradually) come to love my SCX cars, it is in spite of the appalling racket that most (not all) of them make and in spite of the fact that it can be mostly fixed by the user. it simply shouldn't be necessary.!

The manufacturers of excessively noisy cars (and I completely agree with the choices) would enhance their reputations no end by applying their attention to this matter. Noise IS often a pointer to some combination of crap design crap materials, crap components and crap assembly.
Some can do it right (again I agree with those mentioned) and the others should follow their fine examples of quality in action.

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Neil - how I hate to impart advice to assist someone who beats me!!

So I would suggest dunking the motor in a mixture of equal parts sand and wood glue for about 2 hours and then leave to dry.

Then try at home on your test circuit until all the fuses blow.

This will guarantee you getting one point in each race and the car will be a lot quieter!

Alternatively I tend to use copious amounts of WD40 and PTF lubricant and just running the car in and they get quieter - the Stealth Volvo and SCX engined Megane for example.

J-c

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE Scalextric, Carrera and Revell produce the quietest running cars by a very wide margin.

SCX, Fly and Ninco can be some of the noisiest.
Funny you should say that moped, because IME the last three are the faster cars, whereas the first three need considerable work to run competitivly.

And about all this noise business, how much noise does a Playstation games make? Not to mention the fact that it takes over the TV. You often have multiplayer games where up to 4 people can play, and I know I made a heck of a noise with my mates playing Mario Kart and GoldenEye...

Obviously you do not consider the Playstation (or any console for that matter) a great success?

Personally, (and I'm sorry if I offend anyone here) I think it would be extremely harsh parenting if kids weren't allowed to play with their toys. Obviously the track cannot be down 24-7 because of the space it takes up. But when it is allowed down, kids should be allowed to play on it until it is taken up again. I may be spoilt, but I know my parents never stopped me having fun, at least I wasn't out on the streets killing people eh?

McLaren

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sadly you pay your money and take your choice of slotcars. I have some rather manky scalextric cars that are noisier than any of my SCX stuff. Admittedly most SCX cars are noisier, but then there is twice as much running gear and an open can motor in there too.

To run in oil everything liberally and run for a coule of hours on a PP3 (9V) battery

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (daleg @ 4 Oct 2004, 13:55)To run in oil everything liberally and run for a coule of hours on a PP3 (9V) battery

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrumph!!!! I thought we were going to get some insight into why your *^#@ SCX 206 is so quick, you don't fool me with all this 9v battery guff!

Mr.M(iles behind daleg in the SCX 4x4 class)

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I think several of you are missing the point made. We in this day and age expect more and demand more for the money we pay out. If for example a playstation were to make loud inapprpriate noises we would complain. The same applies to slot cars.
Alfetta

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Do you think the sound of an F1 engine is loud and inappropriate?

Personally, I like the sound of motors, meshing gears and stuff like that. It's all mechanical noises to me

McLaren

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
I judge a car by the way it handles and if the engine is noisy but the car accelerates fast and handles the way I want it to, then that's fine by me.

Also the SCX engine tends to be more open - and the car body could act as an amplifier. Hornby and Fly engines are a more enclosed engine.

As Alfetta points out - if there were not appropriate noise I would be unhappy - and a whining Playstation or a (noise that I can't make onomatopoeic) noise coming from the car I would object to. (Is that the poseist word I have used here?)

If I can make theengine quiet I will - but not at the expense of handlig - including braking - or acceleration.

j-c

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry Mr M, I will never give away secrets about how sometimes i beat you with my 206, just remember Im in electronics and did a HNC in everything including motors (and no I havent opened any of them!)

I personally find the noise of the scalextric sidewinders very annoying, yet like the squel of a SCX at full tilt. Its personal preference as to whether you can put up with the noise or find a way of quitening down. But remember, more power/speed/rpm the more noise it will generate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh no, Moped trying to compliment Scalextric by saying that they are much better than any other manufacturer for home racing (again).
Most Scalextric cars are very quick but give a poor representation of the noise the cars the cars make in real life. I have a Playstation 2 and the noise from that goes through the floor, unlike slot cars!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts