SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was after some general information. Some SCX rally cars come with front and rear wheel drive. The Pro cars come with front 24T and rear 27T crown gears for some reason. Have any of the "standard" rally cars come with this combination? Has any other gear ratio been used in any of their rally cars. In fact has any ratio other than 9:27 = 3 been used in any of their cars?

Thanks in advance.

cheers
rick1776

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Rick - i replied to your PM.

The idea behind the different ratio's in the pro range was described the in the instruction manual that came with the cars (it's actually a good read on prep, set up etc). SCX say that having faster spinning wheels at the front helps to pull the car out of corners. In truth i'm really not sure as judging from the look of my front tyres on my SCX 4x4's (including the S4) they hardly make contact with the track, but i guess it could work.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Interesting, probably not relevant but on the 2wd Yamaha WR450 motorcyle the front wheel is driven slower than the rear so that the front wheel only starts pulling when the rear wheel is spinning, it has a sprag clutch in the front hub so that normally the front wheel isn't driven at all, I believe that Mitsubushi Evos have a similar system.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm not able to comment on the Pro cars as I don't have any. But FWIW I made a huge difference to my SCX Integrale by converting it to RWD only. It was rubbush as it came.

Mind, having said that; the Lancer and Corolla are fine as 4WD. Any more SCX 4WDs I buy, if they don't drive to my liking the first thing I'll be trying to improve them is run them RWD.

Just my 2p.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Their trucks have a different system which includes a "transfer gear" in order to get more chassis lift. The end result is a vehicle which is slow but has ridiculous torque @ the wheels. For comparison, the SCX Touareg is at least 30% slower than the Ninco.
To the cars; I have set up a car w/ 1-tooth less up front & it seems to make a little difference. I've found that putting tires w/ a little less grip up front makes more change. I run a lot of dirty rally, where the Ninco belt-drive system works much better.
The SCX Pro Citroen is a very good car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rick,
the Avant Slot EvoX and the Ninco C4 prorace also "overdrive" the fronts
My MSC RS200 doesn't and it's similar in performance to the Avant slot and quicker than the Ninco- these are 2 of the quickest cars I have
I have read a bit on 4wd being slower and removing it
But on my rally track the quickest cars are 4wd and when disabled you loose 0.2-0.3s on a 7s lap
- I did some blind testing with my son driving
"Shrug" - who knows what this all means

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

For fast stage, or circuit racing, the trick is to set the front wheels just clear of the track.

As the car enters a corner it leans slightly, the overdriven outside front wheel contacts the track and "pulls" the front end round.

That is all it is about.

Can't see it making much difference on slower twisty stages.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My track is Sport and rather slick, so 4wd is usually faster unless the car and tires are very good. I also run overdrive to the front by using a smaller crown or pulley up front or larger diameter front tires. This seems to help. Besides better traction accelarating out of turns, it seems to improve braking too.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
If the front wheels are always going faster, when the car leans and the outside front touches down it'll pull more smoothly because it's already wheelspinning.

If the wheel was going at the same speed, it might go around the corner in a series of lurches. A bit like how I ride my motorbike with brand new tyres

1 - 12 of 12 Posts