SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
It looks like SCX is not only not dead, but they are bringing out YET ANOTHER new digital system called SCX Advance (SCXA). Based on the photo they have shared on Facebook from the toy fair, I'm going to make some bets:

1) Up to 9 cars (clearly visible in photo)

2) SAME track system, entirely, same lane changers and all.

3) Same lane changing system, e.g. the solenoid is in the car chip just like always.

4) Wireless DIRECT to car, like Scorpius and oXigen.

5) The "power base" is just power and lap counting, not programming/pairing cars, and maybe wifi/bluetooth to a device for the actual race management, like WOS was meant to have, but never really got there in a meaningful way.

5b) car programming will somehow be between car and controller, though might be facilitated by base and/or app

6) other than track, completely incompatible hardware from SCXD or SCX WOS, other than, MAYBE, the cars. The fact that they're showing off a few car models and not a much larger line up makes me think that the cars won't be easily converted to "SCXA"

Here's the photo:

SCX_Advance.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Nothing about the digital system, but I really like the liveries they have chosen to make and I think they and Carrera will be getting some of my money this year.

Heath

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They'll pretty much have to offer their new cars in both analog and digital, especially if the older cars are not easily converted to SCXA. As I recall, SCXD cars could not be easily converted to SCX WOS. People were scrambling to buy up WOS sets just to get the cars, and multiples of the few spare cars on offer. I think this was partially due to the chips not being available, but I think there was some extra work to be done to SCXD and other SCX cars when converting to SCX WOS. I fear the same thing will happen with SCXA, not to mention all the other deprecated hardware.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Dagnabbit! I finally broke down and bought the AutoArt Fulvia at SlotFest last year. I guess I'll be getting the SCX one, too. Doesn't it seem like there are an awful lot of cars that are already being done by other manufacturers? That said, I'm glad to see SCX back on the scene. I like their rally cars, and look forward to them being around long enough again to release some more.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
New logo, new company totally focussed on Scalextric, and predominantly digital. This is going to be interesting!

Google "Interview L. M. Arnau, SCX CEO" he is the new boss

·
Registered
219 Posts
Keen to see what they come up with, I'm a big fan of SCX with ~70% of my cars from them. Like Stoooo, I like their rally cars and the classics, GT's better than their rep.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Keen to see what they come up with, I'm a big fan of SCX with ~70% of my cars from them. Like Stoooo, I like their rally cars and the classics, GT's better than their rep.
Agree with almost all of ^^^ this. My only difference is that >80% of my car collection is SCX - mostly from the Tecnitoys era.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,728 Posts
"Doesn't it seem like there are an awful lot of cars that are already being done by other manufacturers?"

That is always the way though - they need to have the same options as other manufacturers otherwise buyers will go elsewhere - ie. Why would I buy an SCX set if they don't offer that wonderful new "XYZ" GT3 car I want like Carrera or Scalextric do.

Good to see them back - wonder how long this partnership will last.

Unfortunately with the Digital side of things I am not sure the market needs another system - I still think slot cars manufacturers dropped the ball there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It looks interesting. I like to look at their catalog when it comes out. Will this be distributed to the states here or just in European countries only?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Really great to see them back.
As a rally fan I am lucky not to need any kind of digital system.
The Fulvia is a good choice.
In the SCX car a navigator is standard, which was not the case in the AutoArt Lancia.
I added one by myself.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

IMG_2534.JPG

AutoArt Lancia Fulvia 1.6 HF, winner Rallye Monte Carlo 1972 with added navigator.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
If they're truly backwards compatible I feel happy for people with WOS. I wouldn't count them out yet either. 9 cars running at the same time helps differentiate them from the rest of the systems.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Dibble Digital Slot Car Evolution? Catchy name. Very catchy.

Advance? Advantage? This guy is the importer, yes? Think he needs to know what his product is called and whether it's dibble or not. Lol.

Maybe someone local could tell Bryan that modern dibble computers have a volume control? He don't need to shout.

"Perfect" video, though. Passionate guy, too. Can't argue with that.
thumbsup.gif

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Unf
censored.gif
gbelievable ..... he should have strapped a camera onto his head for a more authentic wobbly FPV ......
dribble.gif
lmfao.gif

Does he know that we are nearly in 2020 and not 2004???

Reactions: Ade
1 - 20 of 238 Posts