SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
Its great to see SCX new system, Advance, has gone 2.4GHz with app, no powerbase!
Over lunch I was thinking how the system has no brakes. The controller appears to have ten step resolution and no light system on the new car chip that I can see.

So I have this idea, not a replacement for the SCX chip (due to the fact the system uses a solenoid driven plunge pin to activate their lane changers) but an add on.

So whats the idea? Well for those wanting an upgrade their system
to 256 step throttle and 256 step brakes a Scorpius Gen II car chip is hardware compatible as we speak.

The new SCX system employs not only an app but also a track comms LED in the car to trigger lap counting and pit stops.

Luckily the Gen II car chip has all the hardware already for anyone wanting brakes (who doesnt?) and a smoother controller.
The Gen II car chip features an LED for track comms. The idea is to simply read the IR code off the SCX chip using a Scorpius Gen II car chips photodiode to sense code and send wirelessly to a simple program on the PC to read each IDs code. Once we have the code we can now go, stop, count laps and perform pit functions.

So whats left? Lane changing of course. How to do?
Well one thing I cant imagine doing is making a solenoid plunge pin. but the original chips solenoid could be in fact utilised. So how to do? Well we have several spare drivers being the mosfets for lights available. These could be used to power the SCX solenoid.

So there you have it. Already a competition grade car chip and controller upgrade for SCX Advance
To read the IR code and convert light drivers to solenoid drivers and rewrite the lane change command on the car chip is literally only a few hours work and hence no real financial outlay, which means this is a confirmed go ahead.
So now we have analogue, Scorpius, Carrera and SCX compatibility with hardware ready compatibility for the Oxigen system.
If anyone can translate this into proper Spanish please let me know so I can post on the Spanish forums.

Rick

Attachments

Reactions: gersonfer

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably 6-12 months. It's hard to know exactly.
This will be a very complex project with lots of testing involved.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts