SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gary at MRE has reported that new SCX analogue car releases are only for the Spanish market and will not be released outside Spain. This brings licencing costs down considerably for SCX.

This raises the question about the future of the SCX analogue brand outside of Spain and it would add weight to rumours that SCX have plans to only export digital sets in the future.

SCX have definitely had problems in the UK and aside from the interest shown by the Slotforum members the UK distributer Bachmann has reported slow sales to the general public in the UK, with brand leader Scalextric increasing market share. SCX track has been prooving popular though with Scalextric "Classic" enthusiasts as Scalextric run production down of their "Classic" range with all new sets in the last 2 years carrying SPORT track.

SCX are also having problems with distribution in the USA as well.

The weak dollar is hurting export returns for Spanish Scalextric and it is to be noted that SCX are planning to raise prices for the existing range of cars in the UK that do have a licence for the UK market.

90% of SCX revenue is generated from within Spain so they may have made a decision to focus on the home market.

Clearly those that want the new range of SCX cars understand what they will have to do.

SCX still plan to licence the new digital cars for export markets according to sources.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
QUOTE Clearly those that want the new range of SCX cars understand what they will have to do.

Hmmm, let me think....shop on the internet? Radical concept!

I guess Margate would jump on anyone selling Spanish Scalextric from a UK emporium. But they can't touch a Spanish retailer selling it into the UK.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
this sounds like complete boolarks!

sorry but I cant see the point in just supplying digital and Tropi, I believe it will do what you said

Rob.

p.s shop online, oh my god! how the hell am I supposed to do that?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I think it would be more accurate to quote Gary at MRE as reporting that SOME new Spanish Scalextric cars at the Toy Fair, at that time, were not intended to be exported under the SCX label.
That situation might well change over time.
Or it might not.

The last time I checked MRE for Future SCX cars, there were TWENTY TWO of them scheduled for 2004.
That was half an hour ago.
That too, we can expect to change over time.
it might increase or decrease.
Sorry to say, but unless alleged 'sources', are named, the term "according to sources" simply means 'according to speculation, rumour and gossip'. Normally there would be nothing inherently wrong with speculation rumour and gossip, just as long as we realize that is all that it is. However I think that the Topic Heading, suggesting that SCX analogue could be about to disappear altogther, is pushing it to the limit and, perhaps to some eyes, considerably beyond it, certainly in the short term.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
QUOTE ...according to speculation, rumour and gossip

The stuff that fuels this board, Tropi. The stuff that fuels this board.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
While the Spanish market is clearly the most important one for Technitoys (witness the number of rally cars they are releasing), it would be stupid from them not to export them elsewhere, especially Europe given the current Euro strength.

The re is one point that proves Moped to be wrong : SCX have the license for the new Williams save for Great Britain. This clearly means that they intend to export their cars, otherwise a Spanish license would have been sufficient and cheaper.

Technitoys have one very clear reason when they choose not to export some cars : these are likely not to draw much interest abroad ! One good example is the Nissan formula.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Not to forget that Moped may be right with SCX being very weak on UK and US markets, but there are still a few others.

First to mention germany (AFAIK the biggest european market overall), but also France, Italy, Benelux. In all those countries SCX sale numbers are ok, so it wouldn't make any sense not to export their cars anymore.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
In Moped's defence (What!
), that is how I read it on Gary's site.

Jexy, use your powers and get us some clarification please!

I feel perhaps the wrong end of the stick has been grasped somewhere.

Mr.M

·
Registered
329 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Material UK @ 16 Feb 2004, 10:47 AM)Jexy, use your powers and get us some clarification please!

I feel perhaps the wrong end of the stick has been grasped somewhere.
Hey there!

Let's hope the wrong end of the stick has indeed been grasped as I think it would be a great shame indeed if we were to be denied releases such as the Dome. Yes we would all still be able to get releases via the internet but sometimes I like to wander my local hobby shops and make an impulse buy. I'm sure I'm not alone in this?

Hopefully SuperJexy is donning his underpants on the outside at this very moment and using his superpowers to get the inside line.

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Hopefully SuperJexy is donning his underpants on the outside at this very moment and using his superpowers to get the inside line.

Like it, Slik!

He'll probably have to go outside for a *** first!

Mr.M (not super at all)

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Wearing my underpants on the outside ( I only do this on Wednesday evenings at Farnham just like the rest of you?).

My understanding of the situation is this.

There will be more Spanish only models made this year than previous years (there have always been a few).

The really bad news is that the SEAT CUPRA GT, SEAT TOLEDO CUPRA 'ETCC'
and the prototype SEAT LEÓN "REYES" are planned as Spain only releases.

Items like the Trainer 2, new figures and a few other cars I'm still waiting for confirmation.

I must admit to being a little surprised that they were exhibited in Germany if they will not be available there?

Things change on a daily basis so don't be surprised if they announce (after the complaints from dealers etc) that they will be releasing more models outside of Spain in the future.

To answer the thread title - I don't think so, there are loads of new cars this year and they have added a new (Non Digital) track section to the range, hardly something you would do if you about to drop the range.

It's worth bearing in mind that a number of the Hornby cars are not released in Spain!

Each country has it's brand leaders and it makes sense for them to concentrate on their home market first.

Moped where did you get the info about 90% of their income being home market? Are you a shareholder? I would love to know - thanks.

Gareth

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 16 Feb 2004, 11:39 AM)Wearing my underpants on the outside ( I only do this on Wednesday evenings at Farnham just like the rest of you?).
Oh, is it underpants F1 this week at Farnham

Still, could be worse, it could be non underpants F1
(And no, you won't be getting any pictures, before you ask!)

While I accept the notion of "barefoot touring cars" and actually quite enjoy "rally with a hat on" that particular class is always a bit of a put-off. Especially as Jexy is so good at it!

Mr.M

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I'd venture that Scalextric has a much bigger market share in Spain than Superslot has.

I do like the new Scalextric DTM cars, already available in Spain:-

I'm not sure that I like this one, though... It has too much "Scalextric" about it!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
714 Posts
I read the inital post as a characteristically exaggerated (mis)representation of the MRE report - a matter of opinion whether accidental or not. However, after the following note that MRE list more than a score of UK SCX releases for 2004 on their site, it's amusing to see that a similar posting elsewhere has been heavily revamped!

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Where did he get the figure? Ain't you familiar with our Mr Rider yet - from the thin air.

That Vodaphone Audi looks the biz, but then Drumbreck's Opel would be a keeper too. Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
1 Posts
What concerns me is not the "offerings" for 2004...or even 2005 for that matter, but with Scalextric, Carrera, and SCX (and Ninco can't be far behind) all gearing up with this "digital" revolution in slot cars - I'm wondering in the furure will the "new releases" be catered to digital rather than the old run of the mill slot car??? These companies are investing a lot of $$$'s in these systems for them to just be "novelties".

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
QUOTE I'm wondering in the furure will the "new releases" be catered to digital rather than the old run of the mill slot car???

If SCX and Carrera digital products really take off then this might be the case for these two manfacturers but not for any other manafacturer.

Scalextric will produce some RTR digital cars but they will concn on the run of the mill cars with the ability for you to buy a seperate digital chip/IR bit that you add on and thus digitising your car (of any brand that you can fit it in).

This I seeing as being the world standard and most sensible approach meaing us luddites can carry on buying the same cars as our digital friends.

I see both Carrera being a niche market for US and Germany and SCX failing completley. These are just my opinions however.

Matt
PS Not sure if this makes sense - but hey ho

·
Registered
714 Posts
If there is going to be a standard, sadly, it's unlikely to be that of SCX.
But there is no need to worry about a dearth of 'standard' cars from anyone, at least not because of digital models. The bodies will certainly be interchangeable and a variation on the nasty little plastic plate chassis costs buttons for a mass producer to churn out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts