SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The quattro I recently bought is causing me grief. The car in question is the SCX Mikkola 25th anniversary one - 62330.

The guide won't drop into the slot far enough. The front axle has a little up and down play, but not enough. What can I do to increase it? I've tried fitting 17mm tyres and that improves the situation, but the car looks stupid.
Any advice gratefully received.

TIA
Stuart.

(TBH, had I realised that the 4wd is the rubbish band type, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the car.
I really need to start being more choosy about the cars I buy, rather than sticking rigidly to my "got to have an example of every car that has won the WRC" regime.)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If the car has the correct guide fitted it should have a washer fitted under the guide between the guide and the chassis, you can remove this and the car will sit lower at the front, you have already fitted smaller tyres.
You want the car to sit lower st the front, what you have to remember is that this is a model car if you want it to handle on the track then this is what you have to do, if you want it to drive like a real car then you have to drive it like the real thing you cannot have it both ways.
This car used to be the car of choice at many clubs I raced at, remember to glue the motor into the chassis using super glue, glue and true the tyres and upgrade the motor to the newer rx4-h type, you should not be disappointed

Zen

·
Jim Moyes
5,069 Posts
A Ninco sprung guide is a big help on these old SCX cars. This is, after all, a re-issue of a 25 year old SCX design.

·
Registered
834 Posts
get a FLY Audi Quattro. the only thing FLY didn't do was have a suspension system. drop-arm & decent gears(on the 2 that i have) make this just about the only gear-drive 4X4 i like. TeamSlot & SCX gears & motors are very rough & make for slow, noisy cars. Ninco & Spirit band-drive 4X4 is the best available. the new MSC & Avant Slot 4X4's are very good but require a lot of tuning.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 22 Aug 2011, 22:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The front axle has a little up and down play, but not enough. Yet again I was thinking along the wrong lines. I was stuck on "axle up" rather than "guide down".

QUOTE (MANIMMAL @ 22 Aug 2011, 23:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could always fit a slot.it wood guide, that should go straight in, and if it turns out to be too deep you can always trim it. A deeper guide is one of the solutions I've thought of since my initial post, but before reading the replies here. Specifically some form of sprung one as suggested in the next quote......
QUOTE (Mr.M @ 23 Aug 2011, 00:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A Ninco sprung guide is a big help on these old SCX cars.
QUOTE (Mr.M @ 23 Aug 2011, 00:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is, after all, a re-issue of a 25 year old SCX design. That's something I didn't take into account before bidding on the car. I assumed that it was going to be an up-to-date model - maybe the original shell but on a modern chassis.

QUOTE (martini917k @ 23 Aug 2011, 12:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>get a FLY Audi Quattro. the only thing FLY didn't do was have a suspension system. drop-arm & decent gears(on the 2 that i have) make this just about the only gear-drive 4X4 i like. TeamSlot & SCX gears & motors are very rough & make for slow, noisy cars. Ninco & Spirit band-drive 4X4 is the best available. the new MSC & Avant Slot 4X4's are very good but require a lot of tuning. If I can't get the car to run how I'd like it, this is what I'll do. I've actually got the Revell Audi Sport quattro on my wish-list. Anyone know if those are any good?

I've got a few spare cars I could rob, if it looks like I can adapt Scalextric sprung guide. If not, I'll be getting a Ninco one.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i've got a Revell. completely & totally underwhelmed. way too much motor as usual, it's not 4WD, the guide is only about 3/32" into the slot; otherwise, it's great. converted it w/ Ninco 4X4 Pro pulleys, SlotingPlus wheels, Ninco knobbies, Slot.it gear & axles, Ninco red bands, Avant Slot guide. there's a reason i didn't use a spring guide, might be clearance?
car still sucks. don't spend too much on it, as mine is now about twice its original price.

·
Tore
1,760 Posts
I have the exact same SCX car here but I have not tested it yet, but a quick look on the setup block revealed the guide issue.

I test fitted both the standard spring loaded Ninco guide and the spring loaded Ninco PRO guide and they both fit very well on the car and will solve the problem. It's always handy to have some extra Ninco spring guides in the spare box

Also check that the wheels are true on all 4 corners and secure the motor to the chassis, the motor mount can be flimsy and cause a lot of other problems like stripping the gears. Also check that the drive band(s) are in good shape, if you want a tighter drive band, then try the Ninco red one.

BTW: It's an old SCX, so expect that it needs a lot of "running in" before the gear mesh smoothes out, a bit of car polish on the crown gear will speed up the process, just listen to the car while driving it and when the gear noise no longer is a pain but instead a nice whine, then clean out the polish a re-lube.

Tore

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
QUOTE (martini917k @ 24 Aug 2011, 00:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>don't spend too much on it, as mine is now about twice its original price. Sounds like my Avant Slot Pescarolo, then.
I'll be staying away from Revell.

Thank you everyone for the input here, I think I've now got the quattro somewhere near acceptable. It's had a guide, a full set of Slot.It tyres and some "adjustments" to the chassis.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got the black & snow "Michele Mouton" one ; reduced SCX tires at the front, Ninco 1çx19 treaded tyres at the rear, Ninco sprung guide, a Pro-Speed motor hotglued , a few lest and it's a blast !

And even with the slow RX4 motor, you just have to break it correctly, and fit a 10 teeth pinion and you have a great rally car. Not fast on the long straights but quick in turns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts