SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know SCX cars are not the best quality, but IMO they are the best range of rally cars - which is why I have quite a few.

A couple of mine have loose axle bearings. The offending items are brass. Personally, I'd rather not replace them with plastic ones glued-in because eventually, I'll need to replace them. So what are my options for attempting to secure the brass ones, please?
A smear of Araldite (or similar), maybe????
..... Or am I looking at replacing the chassis?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I lockwire mine in place using garden wire.

Here's how you do it.

1, Drill 2 tiny holes through the chassis floorpan either side of the axle by the bearings.
2, Get some garden wire, or the ties used for securing sandwich bags shut.
3, Strip the plastic off the wire.
4, Pass the wire over the top of the bearing in a U shape.
5, Push the ends of the wire through each of the holes.
6, Twist the wire till it goes tight and pulls the bearing into the chassis.
7, Trim wire and bend flat against the chassis.

I've used this technique of all my F1s and the beauty of it is if you need to strip it down again you just snip the wire and dissassemble.

Also no messy glues to deal with.

We used to use this type of lockwire techniques on the race and rally cars that I've been involved with over the years (albeit on a larger scale with purpose made heavier gauge lockwire).

Hope this makes sense.

If it doesn't I'll post a pic.

Alternatively, shim the bearing out with a bit of paper, that works too.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I have often used a similar method, but in my case, drill four holes and "figure of eight" the 15 amp fuse wire across the top of the bearing.

Then either use araldite, to make permanently secure. I have used "dental floss" in this way, secured with superglue, which "wicks" into the joint.

vbr Chris A.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Hi Stu

I run mine with the shell off and the wheels up, watch the offending bearing turn then add a drop of super glue from the end of a cocktail stick to it. It turns a little more then stops when the glue gets hold. It holds them in place for everyday use but also allows them to be popped out if need be.

G

·
QUOTE (CJA @ 12 Dec 2011, 01:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ey Up,

I have often used a similar method, but in my case, drill four holes and "figure of eight" the 15 amp fuse wire across the top of the bearing.

Then either use araldite, to make permanently secure. I have used "dental floss" in this way, secured with superglue, which "wicks" into the joint.

vbr Chris A.

EEEEEYYYYY UUUUPPPPP,
a week later your car is ready for use

Just use some kind of glue mate, it will be a lot easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts