SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I would still like to race scx cars on my Scalextric digital track but the standard SCX motors are too slow and the faster reving ones just don't feel right.
Is it possible to convert them to Mabuchi motors?

I see slot it do a converter to RX motors, but I want to use Mabuchi.

Can anyone help?

Trev

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
I regularly use the slot.it converter to put mabuchi (NSR shark) motors in SCX cars, works fine for me

But then again, I only race analogue

should work, even if you need some fiddling to get the clearances just right.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
QUOTE I regularly use the slot.it converter to put mabuchi (NSR shark) motors in SCX cars

I am genuinely surprised!

The SlotIt adaptors do a good job, but nobody makes Mabuchi motors with rotor arms long enough to engage the axle gear in a secure and satisfactory manner. The only way you can do this is to sleeve the rear axle to keep the axle gear engaged with the pinion.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
That is true, so I use a small tubed spacer and a stopper to keep the axle in position.
Spacer between stopper and bearing, both located on the side of the axle where the teethed part of the crown wheel is.
I prefer the stopper so I can adjust some minute play in order to let the axle run free.

Works like a charm

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
SCX do a motor adapter to run mubuchi,s in their cars. i saw it on US ebay from the scx importer, who charges stupidly little money for the items, then whacks you with a $20 postage charge for a pinion, gear, motor mount, ect. john

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 2 Aug 2012, 03:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am genuinely surprised!

The SlotIt adaptors do a good job, but nobody makes Mabuchi motors with rotor arms long enough to engage the axle gear in a secure and satisfactory manner. The only way you can do this is to sleeve the rear axle to keep the axle gear engaged with the pinion.

Big pantomime shout? Oh yes they do
The magic number is 10mm the picture below shows from the top an old slot.it coversion motor (V12/2b), SCX motor , and a "modern" Slot.it round cornered motor all have a shaft at least 10mm. I surmise that is why they stopped the V12/2b-29 or SIMN03 motor because now they all will fit.

I just measured a Scaleauto SC-0020 and it is also 10mm from the can to the end of the shaft.

I do not have any NSR motors to measure But as Race-Jan says they may also be 10mm

As a antithesis a Rush 36K will not work without axle shims as it IS to short at least on the can end.

Don't have to measure but Typhoon motors may work as may H&R Cobra.

If it helps? The metal part of a FC-130 can is 20mm so if you can find a square on picture of an FC-130 you like you can simply scale off the shaft length. FK-130 is 25mm but they won't simply drop into the slot.it adapter.

Then again these examples may not made by Mabuchi, but by Sun? My hypothesis uses Mabuchi as a generic name for FC-130!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh no it doesn't!

Well maybe, if you butcher the SCX chassis motor fixing points at the cog end or can find a long shaft Mabuchi greater than 10mm.

Problem is the RX motors have a section formed out from the can end to engage in the motor mount which is narrower than the Mabuchi can width. The adaptors (Slot it, we use at our club for the SCX F1 class with Scaleauto Mabuchi motors) mimic this, and positions the Mabuchi motor further back which pulls the shaft out of the cog slot and hence needs the axle to be fixed via packing washers or a tube.

Below is my infamous SCX Jaguar F1 with adaptor Scaleauto SC011 Mabuchi (10mm shaft) and rear axle bushed (to the R/H side of cog).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts