SlotForum banner

SCX Cars

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Carrera124 
#1 ·
Hi,

I like the look of a few SCX cars. Do they go on Scalextric sport track OK and can they be converted to Scalextric digital?

Trev

#2 ·
Hi Trev,

I have converted many an SCX car to run on Scalextric digital and have always found them to be relatively straight forward. They appear to run as well (or as badly - depends on your point of view) as any other car.

My favourite SCX is the Morgan Aero 8.

#5 ·
In my experience with SCX on Scalextric Digital they can't keep up with the modern Scalextric cars. SCX cars usually don't have a high top speed, but a very good cornering speed, so It also depends om your track design. I like SCX rally cars with the magnet out, for other classes out of the box they are just a little too slow.

#8 ·
I own a handful of SCX cars and run them on Scalextric track.
Initially the SCX cars were quite poor runners being very noisey and slow.
Best thing to do once you get them is open them up and oil all the rotating parts and remove the motor to run it in.
To run the motor in just attach it to a block or desk with some good tape and connect a battery to the contacts, I clip a 7.2v RC car battery to mine. Leave it running from the battery for about an hour but during running drop a bit of oil on the main shaft to keep it running smooth.
Once run in put it back into the chassis and it should be ready to go.
You can go further with them by getting some tooth paste (barcarbonate) or what I use Tamiya fine compund polish and apply this to the main spur gear and pinion and bench run it with this applied for about ten minutes. What this does is ground the spur and pinion into a better mesh improving performance but also making them quieter.

Also if you are intentending to run on Scaley track and powebase you might want to look at modifying the lights in the cars to prevent them blowing out.
Here is a helpful guide on how to "fix" them: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...page=SCX-Lights
The resistors can be brought from Ebay for next to nothing, I got a roll of 200 for under £4 and it only takes a couple of minutes to fit them.

Also here is a short video of my SCX Lancia Delta S4 after these improvements but minus the lighting fix.
Bare in mind it would not go round my track that quickly or consistantly before doing this.
Despite this my SCX cars will struggle to keep up with Scalextric ones speed wise but the SCX cars take corners better so it can make some interesting races.

#9 ·
I dislike the spring system on the SCX guide and stopped buying SCX cars. This said, due to the cheap price they are at the moment I took a chance and have found that they are really nice runner, I've been filming them in slow motion powersliding and they really stick well.

When the film is complete I will post it.

Oh, I've also brought about 15 of them in the last 2 months and still looking at them so I guess I can't dislike them that much, and the Morgan is gorgeous.

#10 ·
ZITAT(Julian_Boolean @ 9 May 2011, 09:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I only use them without magnets and they handle better than any of the Scaley cars I've got, motor is nice, very responsive and good brakes, they get quicker with use.

Same for me. I really like the SCX classic rally cars. Without magnets, the run great. The motor is kind of "old school" - torque instead of rpms.

If you're looking for rockets like Slot.it, don't buy SCX.
If you like classic racing fun, SCX cars are fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.