SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have twin girls ages 10 weeks - so it will be some time until I have someone to race!

I like the look of the SCX crono set to qet a quick time-trial buzz. But all my track is scalextric. I know I can but convertor pieces, but just wonder if there is a scalextric time-trial track that is as good with as clear a display - and ideally the loops that mean each lane is used by one car?

And, what do people make of the SCX crono? If this has been covered elsewhere please excuse me, I am typing between nappies!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
There isn't a Scaley equivalent, but the Chrono is really just a lap timer and a couple of loops, saying which I've got one and I love mine, the sensor isn't brilliant and can miss laps, so I made a new sensor out of an old Scalextric lap timer and now I have no more missed laps.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I can almost second Julian's post. My only difference is with the "missed lap(s)" issue. Of 26 (currently) cars I run on my rally track - Scalextric, SCX, Spirit, Fly, Team Slot - only 1 car, the Spirit 206T16 has ever fooled the sensor, so far. I'll get 'round to trying another guide in that car some day, but if it starts to become an issue with other cars, I'll do a similar sensor mod to Julian's.

The Chrono pack is probably my favourite bit of kit.

Oh! - and I've used it with a mix of Scalextric classic and Sport track. You haven't said if your track is classic or Sport. Don't forget that you only need the converters with Sport.

HTH
Stuart.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The sensor works from a reed switch under the track, activated by the motor magnet (or traction magnet if you have it fitted), the reed switch just shorts the two wires that go to it from the chrono, fitting a different guide won't make any difference.

I was going to make a light switch for mine but I couldn't find a photo diode that went short circuit when the light was removed to it, they all work the other way, short circuit when light applied. You could also use a dead strip quite easily but I don't know what effect the back EMF might have on the Chrono, so I went for a very simple mechanical sensor.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,631 Posts
Hello MickyMog,
You should think about getting one of the Scalextric "Pole Position" units. If your lap time is around 7 to 9 secs this unit will speak the lap times (to 1 decimal) so you can whizz round and get instant feedback as to whether you made a "hot lap" or if you are being consistant. Maximum lap time is 9.9 seconds though.
The sensor is optical and works ok in a well lit room (if not you can shine a small halogen desk lap over it).
The tend to sell quite cheaply on Ebay - Linky to auction that I have no connection with.

I am big fan of the Chrono unit btw. Currently on my second one - had same ideas as Julian and went to "isolated strip" configuration. The result was one dud Chrono timer !! The SCX track is the same format as Scalextric Classic so no adatops needed unless you have Sport track.

Kind regards, Leo

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments - where is best to pick one up!

And thanks for the pole position idea, it looks great, but I'd want it to count in hundredths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts