SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
First off the cunning guide system, it lowers to change lanes. The track in the middle of the crossover is lower than the rest of the track so when the guide lowers it pushes a triangular flag out of the way and changes lanes.

Position 1:

Position 2 lower:

The crossover section:

Now a shot that took a while to get, a crossover in action!!

The Powerbase can accept 3 power supplies and looks quite complicated at a glance:

The line up we trashed at the club (before any incident)

The pic after any incidents has to be censored i am afraid it even made me cry!!

Doug

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just curious but are those pictures of a set that you have purchased as a private individual or are you trade?

The reason I ask is that if that is your set for personal use then it would be great if you could share your experiances as somebody who has actually got the balls to go out and sink your own money into a digital set up. Its one thing to hear about it from a retailer or somebody who has played with it for 10 minutes at a demo but quite another the hear about it from an end user who has it at home for personal use

Moped

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Good pictures - more detailed than what we had seen before

I'm curious about the (apparent) metal siding of the guide - is it to provide a solid well for the protruding keel - or to ensure electric contact over the LC dead space (the hinged blade would seem to have side wires) ?

This reminds me that one of the outstanding queries about SSD is whether their (much longer) LC blade is electrically "live" or not - this could be achieved by having the blade tip getting the appropriate polarity from the rail it touches

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE This reminds me that one of the outstanding queries about SSD is whether their (much longer) LC blade is electrically "live" or not

do you mean the Carrera blade? SSD (Scalextric Sport Digital) uses the same blade as normal, as far as I am aware. Carrera digital have a very long blade with holes in it, I understand the holes may be used as a simplified bar code for lap counting, and at the toy fair the blade looked as if it was plastic.

Nice pictures, tibius; so did u like it, hate it, or a bit of both?

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Very nice picture too, Seth (although it's lunchtime and you've ruined my appetite with that humongous thing !!
)

OK, we have a problem of semantics : can we settle once and for all how we should call the moveable "thing" in the LC ?

In railroad terminology, it could be "blade", except there's two of them and as we've just seen this creates confusion with the guide

Considering where it's located, it could be a "frog" - but frogs move only in high speed lines - and it doesn't sound too nice anyway

Now, back to the strangozzi (typical hand-made pasta in Umbria) with black truffle sauce...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi, The track is not mine we had a demo at the club i go to. I did not think the whole idea was great, The track is not interchageable! SCX do not provide chips either! and the tracks they provide for digital just are not big enough!

Doug

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes yes yes i did have a go, The lane changing mechanism was a great design but having 3 cars for me is alot more complicated than 2, and 6 on one track will be even worse. Gentlemen i assure you that this is alot of fun i did indeed like it, but when will the novelty be lost? I would not buy it for the price it is, espesially seeing that cars cost £41.99 And SCX dont sell chips to go in old cars. For me the novelty was never really there. So i say, some individuals will buy this for Christmas or even sraight off but this is not like a puppy, this Digital IS only for Christmas.

I did have fun though?!

Doug

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perhaps .. for me a bad one. SCX obveously think that it will not appeal to ne of their biggest markets - UK and USA!

Doug

·
Registered
197 Posts
QUOTE (Xlot @ 20 Aug 2004, 14:08)BTW, SCX digital cars are on sale in Spain at 35 Euros - an omen ?
Beppe, that price is a bargain, usually RRP is 45-50€, and analog cars are 30€

And, if you want to convert old analog cars to digital keep in mind that chip is placed just where fron axle is, you must use two short axles, as well as adapt special gude.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry, Beppe, second comment was not for you, but Tibius 181, who said that SCX didn't sell standalone chips. That's because is extremely hard (not to say impossible) to fit on old analog cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts