SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
great reports, thanks!

first questions that pops up reading about scx are :

1.Does scx digital have breaking in their controller? Scalextric has an adittional button to activate breaks on their controller.

2.Scx digital seems to work but looks complicated and fragile to me : solenoid in the car and pin coming out of guide.. and I wonder if activating the lanechanger far away from the changeover track (in a curve for example) will push the car out of its slot enough to deslot ?

3.We see 3 cars deslotting at the same moment on one of the pics : it is obvious the first 2 bumped into each other, is the 3th car suffering from sudden power surge ? Is the power supply enough stabilised ?

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To try and answer those questions:

There was only one button on the controller. Perhaps breaks are integrated in to the trigger - not too sure.

The thing that pops out of the guide is about 4 or 5 mm deep. This theoretically would cause a problem on old track and this is perhaps why old track is not compatible with the new Digital system with deeper slots.

There were so many de-slots. One would come off and the whole pack would follow as those chicanes had barriers preventing the de-slotted car from leaving, and clearing the track.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi everybody. My fist message. Let me apologize for my bad english.

I've not tested SCX digital, but I can reply some of your questios since they have been explained in the spanish "Slot Adictos" forum:

1) Does SCX break? NO. When magnet is removed from the car, runs out of control if you release throttle. If you run with magnet... well, magnet is brake.

2) ...activating the lanechanger far away from the changeover track (in a curve for example) will push the car out of its slot enough to deslot? I don't know. Most probably nothing happens with magnet.

3) ...car suffering from sudden power surge? I don't think so. Who knows what happened, but keep in mind that decoders control motor voltage. At this point, doesn't matter if you run at 18 or 17 or 19 volts, decoder can limit motor voltage to 16 volts.

4) Yes, in Spain barriers are sold separately. Unfortunately since track size has been modified most probably won't match standard "old" curves.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add some pictures (they are in "Slot Adictos" forum): Digital SCX cars.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The barriers as with the new track have a great connector for easy fit but don`t believe they are compatible.

No breaks is a big downer as is mag only. Not for me on that basis. The cars did seem to de-slot when you pushed the button and missed the cross over but that could just have been me. We didn`t imagine the surges they happened to all of us but there may be other reasons for that? The track is good, similar to Ninco we thought with good grip and a nice colour too. The main point we all noticed was that the lane change did not always happen when we tried and big downer is the high number of impacts on a straight crossover that is designed so short and close that it brings the cars crunching together. SCX did have the best looking marshals though,by a long way!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I don`t think it matters what they add after this point as the power seemed effected by pressing the LC button? I`m not convinced by SCX which is better known in Spain than here and if it didn`t shine there it aint gonna here in good old G.B. You pays your money and takes your choice, that`ll be SCALEXTRIC then

·
Registered
714 Posts
Maybe we need to remember that this is an International site and UK isn't the centre of the universe.
Also remember that 'Here' IS Spain for some of our members!
Like it or not, SCX is the only system actually on the market and deserves respect for that achievement.
In a specifically titled SCX Digital Topic, adding any and all SCX info is quite a good idea, rather than just dismissing it and its country of origin as of no consequence.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
My point is that in Spain it`s bigger than here and those guys didn`t really go mad for it so what chance does SCX really have here where the brand leader is Scalextric? My opinion is based on having a very good relationship with Luca at SCX and Jon Biggs at Bachman and their agreed opinion that they have a lot to do to improve their U.K. market share. No disrespect was or is intended to Spain or SCX or just about any group catered for by political correctness .
What I meant is that SCX really did need to do an awesome job to catch up with Scalextric in the U.K. and my first impression is that Scalextric looks to have made a better job of it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Not wider to my eyes
More grey in colour. Very good Ninco-ish grip. Easy and quick assembly that locks pieces together well and the barriers fit same way,kinda bayonet and socket style. Plastic sleeve in the rails, again like Ninco so cars run very smooth. I thought it was more rigid,again very much like Ninco. Should last well

Also checked out the other new releases on the SCX stand. New Jordan F1. The rally track slidey surfaced track,new controlers. Was all a bit rushed after playing for ages on the digital track.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
SCX track did look good in grey.

Jonny's point about having to slow down to change lanes causing bunching/tail gating is an issue if racing is tight. You do not know if the car in front is changing lanes until the last second and you simply cannot react quickly enough if you are behind. Its best to leave a bit of a gap between you and the car in front if you are chasing somebody and then switch lane yourself in an attempt to overtake rather than relying on the car in front to switch.

This is all part of a new race strategy that digital racers will get used to but there was not really enough time to learn these strategies when testing the playability.

Can you imagine what would happen on lane switching Jonny if the cars were not magnetic? They do need magnets or else lane switching would be just too slow.

I think the number of offs was a reflection of the inexperiance of the racers testing the system rather than anything else. I kept out of trouble and did not come off once as I was more interested it getting a feel for the system than racing.

Of all the controllers on the test circuits from all companies those on the Scalextric SPORT World stand were by far the smoothest and really were outstanding as you felt that you were in control of the car 100% of the time. This was not the case with SCX Digital and "feel" was lost occasionally.

The problem in the UK market is going to be pricing. A £200 set in Spain is going to be a £280 set in the UK. SCX are going to produce a special set for the UK with just 2 cars in (
) for £199 as they see this as a key price point.

SCX claim that this difference is down to having to hedge currency but £80?

Folk at Slotforum can make up their own mind about this product and the UK market.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That`s what it always comes down to in the end I suppose £
if you feel it`s worth it then no problem but at least the lads here have posted as much info as poss. Most seem to agree and like Mope I reckon the bunching prob would get easier as you get more practise. We went for it big time. Matt Tuck, `Timmy Jordan` Gary the phone` and `Dick Dastardley` and me are all experienced club racers
Along with the two Spanish assistants we went for it big time. Well if racin` is yer game what else can you do...

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I didn't find you needed to slow down to change lane apart from the fact that some changers were at the end of straights so normal slowing for curves was in order.
The following pics show how the guide works to lower itself and then access the mechanism to slide over the lane changer, whic hsits at the veryx bottom of the slot. I have issues with this as solenoids are notoriously fragile and this one seems very small to be coping with hard knocks.

I also noticed the lack of apparent brakes but as mentioned, the deeper slot depth and higher track, along with magnets seemd to overcome this. There was a definate issue with power loss when 3 or more cars were on the same lane and I hope this is dealt with soon. It seems crazy to me in this day and age to keep supplying underrated power packs and al the Manufacturers do it direct from the box. Scalextric at least are to offer upgrades as aftermarket options.

There was much speculation and comment over the weekend , comparing a changeover on a straight ( Carrera, SCX and DAVIC) as opposed to a changeover within a curve (Scalextric Sport).
With many people using differing curve radii in their track layouts then changing in a curve makes more sense and works smoothly. To have the change over on a straight also makes sense but I feel with SCX at least, the length and angle of the changeover is too short, less than a single straight section. Carrera comes in next with a longer section and DAVIC of course have changeover sections that cover at least two standard lengths of SCX, Scalextic and Ninco track.

Both Carrera and Scalextric are of course digital in the way they operate the lane change, both using sensors. Carrera have utilised a huge guide and sliding/lowering magnet set up specific to the Digital cars. Scalextric have cracked the backward compatability issue with a retrofit capable circuitboard using a sensor as shown (couldn't get internal pics as the boards are not finalised and Carrera were very unhelpful the whole time I was there)

This will not work on smaller radii track sections anyway, even if it was compatible.

The guide slides the magnet to the side and lowers it as you turn, to increase grip/downforce.

This unit will be able to be fitted to existing cars of all makes though maybe there will be width limitations such as in F1 cars.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Just to clarify, my point regarding slowing down was based on me being at the rear and having to wait in line to change lane behind the others! Also I felt you needed to slow down for the change as It didn`t operate quick enough, well it woulodn`t do when your in last place would it

1 - 20 of 92 Posts