SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have purchased both sets and here is how I think they stack up.
Crossovers -
I really like the SCX Digital double crossovers because you don't have to think about what lane you are in like the PRO-X single crossover. With the SCX digital if you are at a lane change you press the button to change lanes. Very simple and effective. With PRO-X it isn't just a matter of pressing the button, you also have to be at the correct crossover to change to the other lane. This is something I can get used to over time. Note: Carerra is releasing a double crossover sometime this year. SCX crossovers still provide power to the car so there aren't any dead spots on the track. Carrera has dead spots but they aren't noticeable while racing. Only if your car happens to stop right at the dead spot. It would be very hard to stop on the dead spots especially if you place your changeover tracks on the fast parts of the race track.
Track surface -
SCX Digital track is a lot like Ninco slot car track. The track pieces connect together similar to Sport track, very easy to assemble and disassemble. The SCX track surface is rough but provides a lot of traction even when driving the cars without magnets. The downside is the cars don't roll as good as on the Carrera PRO-X track. The track surface of Carrera is smoother and nearly seamless, but the track assembly is more time consuming then SCX due to the clips used to keep the track pieces together. The Carrera bank turns are really impressive and fun to drive on.

I will add more as time allows.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good points Brian

Following some threads in the digital forums of foroslot.com they are showing pictures of what Hornby-Scalextric is bringing out for their pits and and its a copy of SCX's. It appears both Hornby and Carrera are following SCX's ideas.

·
Registered
522 Posts
knapp_creek

Carrera has been showing a working pitlane at toyfairs since 2003.

I dont know the history of SCX, but maybe they should copy Carrera and start offering some additional cars for sale.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good grief.

As in any industry all the manufacturers copy each other's ideas. I believe that Hornby were first to bring out x-overs on a curve (pre-digital I mean) and sure enough sometime later SCX brought out their version. SCX made a mark with their 4WD rally cars... and this year Hornby brought out their first 4WD rally car... etc. etc. ad nauseum.

In digital its clear that SCX have been the pioneers. They were first to market and are clearly responsible for all the other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon lest they get left behind. They're the first (and only) manufacturer to use a grey track surface which looks superb. Ninco have been very innovative with their RAID and pro-shock line but really missed the ball on digital.

Of all the manufacturers Carerra is the least interesting to me, but if NASCAR is your thing they are probably the best for you, I understand you like big banked ovals. Of course I am biased beacause I am a rally fan. Perhaps Carerra should copy SCX and start making some rally cars...

BTW Knapp, you should post a pic of your SCX setup because it looks fantastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts