SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried out my SCX Dome Judd last night and thought the headlights looked great initially. However .... after about 20 laps or so one headlamp went dim and flickered and only came on (but not very brightly) with almost full power and the other headlight followed the same way a few laps later. Have the LED's blown already? The car has not lost any performance on the track, only the headlights not working properly. Tried it out on a Ninco track with their independent power straight and a Ninco Power supply and Palma controllers on a circuit about 50 feet length I guess. (Yes have tried both directions on track as I know lights only work in one direction)
Have done this to check on problem.
Tried a different lane and controller. Still not working properly.
Took car apart and connections to lights look/fit all OK. Put back together. Still not working properly.
The rear lights are still as bright as they were when first put on the track and have worked with no problems at all before, and after, me taking the car apart.
Tried other cars and there lights were OK after more laps than this eg Scaley MG Lola.
Anyone got any ideas or have I just got a Dome dudd!

CB

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I can tell you that it is not the Ninco power pack. We used one per lane on the Phoenix track and this did not cause a problem in the last three years. In fact, quite the opposite because the SCX cars go better wuth a few more volts. I do believe that Ninco have downgraded their latest power packs down to 12 Volts from the older ones that pushed out 16 volts.

I don`t know what causes the problem as we have never encountered this situation. We have had the SCX people at Phoenix and had talks and demonstrations and the power situation never seemed to alarm them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE Is the Ninco power transformer a higher voltage etc, maybe this pops the lights?

I dont' think so. I run my Dome in the club track wich have 21V/lane
without any problem with the lights. But my car have a problem with an whell in the rear axle, so until I get a new one it stays in the box.

I know 21V is too much for 1/32, but the transformers are made for 18V and with the use the voltage gets higher and the last month the measurement was 21 in all four lanes, I do not know why is increasing, slowly but increasing.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Glad you mentioned this cos I thought it was just me! Periodicaly we measured the power output of the six Ninco transformers we were using at the club. Steadily over the period of three years they have increased up to 31 Volts. At this point I have had them replaced with a variable supply.

I`m not into electrics but someone who is explained it to me and so the decision was made by me to change. I`m pretty chuffed with the variable supply because of the diverse groups that use Phoenix. Would not want to change back again.

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Increasing voltage like that sounds very worrying!

No wonder Ninco changed them. Apparently they have made a slight miscalculation with the new ones though. My local supplier told me today that people have been telling him that there isn't enough power in them to run two cars and the lap counter. I suppose that's better than frying some kid though!

Mr.M

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
CB, this sounds so familiar.

If as you say the lights still work a little - especially on full power, then it could simply be a case of a poor contact somewhere (not necessarily on the lights themselves).

My Dome suffered these exact same symptoms (front light failure after a few laps) and I cured it with no more than a little judicious prodding inside the car.

My personal feeling is that the power supply thing is a bit of a red herring (which isn't to say that I'm right of course). However, it does serve to illustrate the dangers of keeping young farm animals and your slot track together in the same barn - always sure to result in a burnt weenie sandwich

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you try to measure the voltage on the track you must run the car at the same time.The voltages will fall mutch in most of these simple powersupply when you run the cars.I have find out this in lots of different powersupply. For example I measure 21V in SCX powersupply but when i run the car it fall to 14V .I will try my new 0-15V 28A power supply (weight 9,5kg
) as soon as it arrives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts