SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffering with poor grip running sans mugnut I theorised that soaking my boots in some WD-40 might soften them up and yield some traction.

So, setting a stopwatch to ring after ten minutes I toddled off, the tyres bathing in said oil - I didn't want to give them too long initially, just in case they went ballistic.

Anyhoo, the alarm rings, and doddery old fool that I am I just cancelled it and made a mental note to go look at them tyres in a mo'.

Time passed like a ship on the horizon that never seems to move but is suddenly approaching the harbour.

Several hours passed in fact!

I ran to the tyres expecting to see them making some "Blob" like bid for freedom but...nothing. No change.

Eh?

How dat work den? Several hours in WD-40 and no noticeable change to the things at all? Aren't they rubber? Is my grasp of chemistry worse than my memory?

More to the point, what have others done to get a grip with these SCX F1 boots?

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
QUOTE What are these tyres made of?
Before anyone with a problem understanding my sense of humour goes into orbit. This was and is (in my view) meant to be humorous!!!!!
Going back to a post of some months previous. I feel sure that everyone will wish to know that the heading started out reading "of what are these tyres constructed?"
N'est pas.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE More to the point, what have others done to get a grip with these SCX F1 boots?

Knobbled others' tyres to drag them down to my level. It's the English way.

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eh?

I've no idea what I've triggered here but clearly I've totally failed to draw a definitive answer to the question of how to extract more grip from modern SCX F1 tyres.

Scott's approach it is then!

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
QUOTE Knobbled others' tyres

Nah - just use the lack of grip to your advantage and nerf them. That's the Farnham way!

J-c

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's a good question and I feel sure that someone has an answer.
I might not need it right now, but this knowledge is bound to be useful at some point in time.
The trick is to persuade the 'rubber' (the material might never have had even a sniff of REAL rubber) to absorb a very small amount of suitable solvent, which will soften the outer surface slightly, rather than dissolve the whole lot right off the wheel into a pool of smelly goop, which is what Wankel was afraid of.
Any 'rubber' compund is bound to be susceptible to the softening effect of the right solvent and it's a question of finding out which, of course.
This might be difficult, but it can be done and the chances are that someone has already done it . . .

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
... and what about the other question - what on earth is alfetta talking about????? The only part I understood was the bit in french

1 - 11 of 11 Posts