SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this a while back and didn't expect much, and I was right about that. The car body is excellent but the performance terrible. Messed about figuring what to do with it, and after some mod trials which didn't work out I decided to replace the underpan with that of the Scalextric Megane. After a bit of trimming, lowering, wheel and tyre replacements it runs brilliantly. I just regret that so many RTR cars are [email protected] out of the box. Not expecting anything fantastic but a decent motor and some stability without magnets would be a start. Anyway the 131 was well worth doing. Now then, where's that rubbish Fly Alfa...

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,694 Posts
Hello Jeepster,
What chassis does that FIAT have? Doesn't look like it will have an SCX one..

Leo

·
Kitbasher
4,425 Posts
Strange, my SCX Fiat 131 runs great, one of my favorite rally cars.... I presume as you found the Scalextric Megane chassis an improvement you run with magnets?

Reactions: StuBeeDoo

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bought this a while back and didn't expect much, and I was right about that. The car body is excellent but the performance terrible. Messed about figuring what to do with it, and after some mod trials which didn't work out I decided to replace the underpan with that of the Scalextric Megane. After a bit of trimming, lowering, wheel and tyre replacements it runs brilliantly. I just regret that so many RTR cars are [email protected] out of the box. Not expecting anything fantastic but a decent motor and some stability without magnets would be a start. Anyway the 131 was well worth doing. Now then, where's that rubbish Fly Alfa...

View attachment 290312
That’s odd mate, my Fiat runs perfectly with the original chasis and some minor mods(tires, simple braids, trimmed guide, 11 T pinion), fact I remember to have won a rally race with it , because wheels are almost Gt size and it’s wide enough for a classic rally car.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Four of them are 131's turn the volume up.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wish they'd reissue this car there's so many more liveries to do.
With all the recent changes of scx ownership the moulds may well be with a previous owner probably in poor condition as well.
Of my 131s my favourite is the set only blue striped car,that came to me in a mint boxed set with a pepsi Renault 5 maxi turbo, another great scx car.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've never had any complaints about my SCX 131. I guess it all depends how you are expecting it to perform/handle and what you're comparing it to.

·
Jim Moyes
5,108 Posts
Yes, I was quite amazed to see Jeepster's assessment of the 131.

Remembering the slot rallies of a few years back they were often front runners in the classic class.

And when we have a classic rally car race class at the club they are the most used car.

I could understand a Ninco Megane chassis being a swap that might give an improvement. But Scalextric!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...what can I say? My car must have been built on a friday afternoon! The motor was sluggish and slower than the usual RX-4 and the body sat too high for my liking. With the Megane underpan it's speedy and very stable - good enough to compete with improved Fly 911s. And I always remove magnets. Hate them!

Camera accessory Auto part Metal Machine Event
Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design Racing

with Megane underpan

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could understand a Ninco Megane chassis being a swap that might give an improvement. But Scalextric!
I'm with you there...my Ninco Megane is superb. I only bought a cheap Scalextric one as a donor car to see how it fared but was surprised how good it was, but is excellent married to the 131.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Well...what can I say? My car must have been built on a friday afternoon! The motor was sluggish and slower than the usual RX-4 and the body sat too high for my liking. With the Megane underpan it's speedy and very stable - good enough to compete with improved Fly 911s. And I always remove magnets. Hate them!

View attachment 290347 View attachment 290348
with Megane underpan
Oh! I see your problem mate, yours is the Scalextric (Uk)version while the Fiat we all are referring is the Scx(Spain) version which handles better.

I think I will buy another one and maybe paint it just like the one you have there, as it looks great!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Scalextric UK never made a 131, the ones imported had the scx branded crystal case, any bought privately/eBay es will have been in a Scalextric branded crystal case.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Scalextric UK never made a 131, the ones imported had the scx branded crystal case, any bought privately/eBay es will have been in a Scalextric branded crystal case.
If you see post #13, @Jeepster shows the chasis being a Hornby(Scalextric), unless that would be the one of the Megane.

I only have the 131 by Scx Spain, so I couldn’t tell about the 131 being released by Hornby/Scalextric UK, I asumed that the one in the picture (131 Alitalia) is the original chasis which is of course an UK release.

As most have said, the Scx 131 performs really well with minimum tuning.😉

·
Electric model car driver
1,575 Posts
If you see post #13, @Jeepster shows the chasis being a Hornby(Scalextric), unless that would be the one of the Megane.

I only have the 131 by Scx Spain, so I couldn’t tell about the 131 being released by Hornby/Scalextric UK, I asumed that the one in the picture (131 Alitalia) is the original chasis which is of course an UK release.

As most have said, the Scx 131 performs really well with minimum tuning.😉
Now I'm confused as well. I thought Jeepster stated he put an SCX Fiat 131 body on a Scalextric Megane chassis (post #1), and then showed a picture of it upside down (post #13) with "with Megane chassis" underneath it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hornby never produced a Fiat 131, only SCX! The picture is of Jeepsters conversion.

SCX has only made four liveries of the 131 since 2007. Hopefully it will return, some of their moulds sometimes returns after a long time. For instance I saw the Talbot Sunbeam return as the SCX club car in Spain.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts