SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
What exactly is going on with SCX NASCARs? Several dealers are selling them at £10 and Top Slots n Trains are offering 4 of them for £37.99! There are strong rumours that they are about to get even cheaper - possibly as low as £7 each.

I'm not complaining - my NASCAR stable has increased rapidly of late - but why are they so cheap at the moment? These cars were £30+ until recently.

Have SCX made way too many? Has the Chinese factory been doing some dodgy extra production on the quiet? What is the source of these cars? Are they coming from the official UK distributor or are they being imported from elsewhere?

There hasn't been price cutting on this scale for many years - does anybody know the reason?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Several manufacturers have been guilty of over production in recent years and are clearing stocks / warehouses to free up space and raise funds. Make the most of it while you can as they won't last forever, manufacturers seem to have gone from one extreme to another with under production the current problem.
Sean

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
How come it is only the selected 7 models that are on offer at £10 each and not all the liveries?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I've bought four, to run as a club class !!.

Great value, don't know why, but hey !!.

vbr Chris A.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I think its great, we have started a new Nascar class at the club because of the price.

Thank you SCX

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
QUOTE (PJF @ 26 Jul 2011, 05:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think its great, we have started a new Nascar class at the club because of the price.

Thank you SCX

Same at our club, thanks to Zarko as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
simple laws of supply and demand.

in the case of the scx scenario.

The product was dumped in the far east. a distributor buys a load of stock with 50% presold ie instant profit. The nascars have a low demand and so are then offered out again at a fraction of what they should be.

The normal channels where obviously unable to support the brand

In my simple mind the value of something is what you can get in an open market. Such as an auction. In normal circumstances the real value does not occur as the items are bought and sold in a controlled environment.

Do not forget that the inland revenue will penalise anyone trading without a view to a profit. This means loss leaders could jeapodise your trading costs being allowed.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Long overdue thread about SCX prices of late...
My feeling is that the SCX discounting over the last few months makes a mockery of anyone who paid RRP for their stuff the previous year.
Even if they effectively don't have control over their distributers/importers, I think damage has been done to their reputation.
Previously I knew that I'd pretty much have to pay full price for an SCX car or risk missing out. Now, I'll be holding off expecting the inevitable, which in the short term means not buying SCX cars. Shame, I really like them.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
377 Posts
well who is running scx the spainish or the chinese?

not all the scx cars are discounted!

remember when the fly importer went bust in the usa and the hornby company tool the stock as payment for a debt and dumped the fly cars in the uk?

we are not fully aware of what really happened.

it's very annoying not knowing..

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
It will doubtless cause the SCX "brand" some damage through inconsistent behaviour, but in reality can we really complain about cheap cars?

As ever, this is just over age old stock being moved on quickly. That means a discounted price. Same thing happens with real cars, holidays, books, you name it. Take advantage if you want, tough luck if you bought at a higher price.

On an industry or trade level it may be a sign of somewhat desperate times at TecniToys and doubtless causes the distributors and shop owners some short term grief, but the up side is cash flow and perhaps some new converts to the hobby attracted in by the more accessible price.

In the old days such things would have been invisible, but now we can thank or curse the borderless nature of the Internet for making it open to all.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I bought the 7 cheap scx nascar's, for my APB digital layout. Tried them out analogue to test if they were ok, before adding SSD-chips. Compared to my scalextric nascar's they were slow !
I Soldered in the SSD chips and the cars are still slow ! Only one place in my layout where it doesnt pass throgh with full speed !

Is it because there isnt volt/amp's enough on an ssd layout for SCX motors ? ( i got two standard scalextric powersupplys )

I tried removing the magnet on one of the cars, and it didnt change much, except for a little more sliding.

Any suggestions to what I can do to make these cars go as good as my scalextric nascars ?

Best regards

Ivan K

G

·
It's because SCX motors are slower than the Scalextric Mabuchi. Run the Nascars in for a while and they will improve.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My SCX Nascar eats my Scalextric one, it's not on straightline speed but round the corners, but I don't have magnets in the cars and have analogue with 13.8V and 2 amps to each lane.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
QUOTE (Gysse @ 14 Aug 2011, 21:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought the 7 cheap scx nascar's, for my APB digital layout. Tried them out analogue to test if they were ok, before adding SSD-chips. Compared to my scalextric nascar's they were slow !
I Soldered in the SSD chips and the cars are still slow ! Only one place in my layout where it doesnt pass throgh with full speed !

Is it because there isnt volt/amp's enough on an ssd layout for SCX motors ? ( i got two standard scalextric powersupplys )

I tried removing the magnet on one of the cars, and it didnt change much, except for a little more sliding.

Any suggestions to what I can do to make these cars go as good as my scalextric nascars ?

Best regards

Ivan K

Swap the 9T pinion for a 10T pinion and it will be more than a match for the Scaly NASCAR.

cheers
rick1776

1 - 17 of 17 Posts