Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Mussel Bay at King's Lynn last night for their try out of a standard class for SCX Nascars. As usual made very welcome and it was a free night

(That's the second time its happened to me there - must be my shoddy appearance...)

Anyhow the racing was huge fun and the SCX Nascars didn't look to shabby on the long straights at King's Lynn. I think its a great class and we plan to race these at Norwich in the coming year - hopefully we can arrange some inter club meets? As usual with a standard class there is still quite a variation in straightine speed between a good 'un and an average one but this might even out as the cars get run in more.

Good racing - thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it Ken - our free race nights are meant to encourage visitors to the best side of the county.

Looking at the lap times it would seem that the SCX NASCARS are not as slow as previously thought - James' fastest laps were on a par with the best Scalextric times.

What they lack in straightline speed is compensated by much better braking and handling characteristics.

There does seem to be a big performance discrepancy between individual SCX motors though so getting hold of a good one is probably going to be crucial.

We will definitely try to fit in some interclub races next year.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Better buy some SCX NASCARS then. What motors do i need to get for them to replace the slower motors some have fitted as standard
Thanks. Mike (Presto)

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Hi Mike - this may get complicated so pay attention.

The motor you need is an RX42B - the B is important. Older cars (with and without rear wing) were fitted with an RX42 which is inferior.

Most of the current COT cars (with rear wing) are supposed to be fitted with the RX42B but SCX quality control is very poor and there is no guarantee that you will end up with one as motors are often fitted at random.

As a general guide the following cars will probably come with a 42B:
#16 Sherman, #11 Fedex, #20 Home Depot, #39 US Army, #18 Interstate Batteries/ M&M's, #14 Office Depot,
#31 CAT, #1 Bass Pro, #29 Reese's.

The following cars will almost certainly come with a 42:
#17 Dewalt, #16 3M, #29 Pennzoil, #88 National Guard blue / white & camouflage, #99 Aflac - both versions.

As the cars are currently so cheap it is probably best to buy several to tilt the odds in your favour. An RX42B motor on its own is more expensive than a complete car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts