SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm new to this lark and fancy a couple of new cars to add to my fleet of ebay purchases.

Seen some very reasonably priced SCX NASCARs. Are they up to much or are they cheap for a reason and will they run OK on my classic Scalextric track?

Ta.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you stick to running the SCX Nascars against each other they can be great fun, run one against a scalextric Nascar and you will notice the difference, depends on what motor the SCX cars have in them. I run mine with magnets in place (I have 2 young boys 3 and 6, without mags I would be spending a fortune repairing cars) and they run fine. I like how the SCX cars have the adjustable magnets underneath while the scalextric cars mags are fixed , a little adjustment and you can either increase or decrease your lap times or more mag for the kids and less for myself. For the price you can get these for I'd definately grab a few, I did.

Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Matt - Are you saying the scalextrics ones are faster opn a [plastic track with magnet in? I haven't run the scalextrics ones - is it just because they have more magnet lower in the car than SCX? I have tried standard SCX Nascars and they go well on wooden track - no magnet. I was always under the impression SCX generally had it over Scalextrics in this area... I can't comment on plastic with magnets in.

We run a class of stock SCX Pro Nascar at our group and I'd be surprised if the Scalextrics ones would be quicker than them (Wooden track no magnet). They probably have a bit too much power, I think it is 26,000 rpm... but they handle really well straight out of the box and the extra power we just treat as part of the character of Nascars. They are probably only less than 1 second off the stock NSR classic class we run (on a 25m wooden track)... if that puts it into perspective.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey Captain,

I would say that the Scalextric Nascar I have is definately quicker than the SCX Nascars I have (plastic track with the mags in,no mods). Off the top of my head I'm not sure what motors they have in them but they are not the RX 42B, I put one of these in another SCX car and its pretty much up there with the scaleys, the Nascars I have are probably the RX41. It might have something to do with the magnet on the scaley but because you can adjust the SCX mag I have found that you can lower the magnet right down to the point where the car gets plenty of grip (mag) but your lap times suffer as a consequence so I like to find the point in the SCX cars where you can reach your fastest lap time and are better to drive. You may be right that SCX cars handle better on the wood track than the scaley ones do, I'm in the opposite situation to you Captain that I can't comment on any cars on wood as I haven't had a go(yet). My other thought about the SCX/Scaley cars is that I like the stock tyres on the scaleys, more grip than the SCX tyres (with a tad of WD40 on both).

Cheers

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
We're running a Nascar series at our club right now and the best SCX and Scalextric cars are neck and neck. The difference is that you need to do a fair bit of tuning to get the SCX cars to run that fast but the Scalextrics pretty much do it out of the box.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up,

I bought 4 NASCARs from Pendle Slot, and every 3 months we run a NASCAR evening.

The cars are colour coded to lanes. Cars stay on lanes, and drivers rotate, so everybody runs all 4 lanes !!.

It is very popular, great fun and almost equal cars, but as we all run all four lanes, any slight difference is cancelled out.

We then take best three runs of the four, and hold finals on that basis.

vbr Chris A.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all...

Here at the North Wests Pendle club, over the last five months, we ran an SCX Nascar series, once a month on a Saturday morning.
This proved to be very popular with "kids of all ages, and by using cars straight out of the box (apart from removing the magnet) made for some very close racing, and great fun."..
... The cars performed great, and proved to be very reliable throughout.

I believe Nic (Pendle) is going to run the Saturday morning/afternoon SCX Nascar series again in 2012.
So if there is anyone intrested in having some very close and fun racing, not living to far away, and wants to run on a very large 6 lane routed track, please contact Nic at Pendle for more info/regs....
Kids are welcome, as long as they have an adult with them.

All the best.. Martin De'Ath..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ran them for the first time yesterday and I wasn't too impressed. Too much magnate. It was so strong that it lifted up the spare half straight that it was parked on! My Scalextric "RoboRacer" panned them on the track.

Have adjusted them now (found a video on youtube that showed them being spun through 180° so that they can be adjusted inwards) and will give them another spin in a couple of days.

Hope it works as I have my eye on a couple of SCX DTMs that are going cheap.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Harry.

Yes we have a few NASCAR's at MRW Motor Speedway.

Once we'd taken out the nasty magnets & binned them; the cars were superb !

Clean off the mold release from the tyres, with a little of your meths stash, and you'll be rockin' old-boy, no probs !

Cheers

Si.

P.S. a little bit of intelligent weighting, with lead; can put these little beautys into another dimension.

These club type, no-magnets / no mods, racing classes, don't allow weight (pity) ; my NASCAR's beat NSR GT's, easy, & only the Scaley Pro-Performance Impala SS, with 25/30 K motors go FASTER !!!

If you don't do club racing, don't limit the cars fun & speed potential; add lead !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts