SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Well that doesn't look good. We want MORE Power, MORE magnetic effect ... more consistent performance across the production too.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Well that doesn't look good. We want MORE Power, MORE magnetic effect ... more consistent performance across the production too.
Really? Sometimes more is less......!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, it'll be interesting to see how they work out. I like the old SCX RK/RX motors as I find them easy to work on and overhaul though I'm less impressed with the RK connector blade assembly, I came close to wrecking one on a motor strip first time around. I doubt they will have reduced the performance as the weight loss should counterbalance and motors just seem to get more powerful as time rolls on. However, I am rather glad I've got a good stock of RX's for future proofing.

With only, what 4? releases of new cars for the year I doubt I'll be adding any of the new cars at this stage having just bought my last missing SCX car the other week. Only the Alfa/ or is it Lancia looks interesting to me, sick to death of the merc/AMG SLS as everyone seems to be churning them out. I've got four of the SCX and the oft-discussed Scaleauto. My recent additions have been Toledo GT's, Honda Accords and Volvo S60 so my craving for "something different" shows through in those. The only thing that might get me excited by SCX would be something to tie-in with the Renault 8/ Citroen DS / Renault 4 Montecarlo 1960's group. I'm working on a SCX mini (Re-livery) but it's a pretty hopeless car compared with the others, would be nice to have a new-chassied era relevant car in that classic series.

It will be good to see SCX back but there is a lot of wait-and-see in their recent announcements. Still, I live in hope that the glass is half-full.

ATB - Bob.

·
Electric model car driver
1,389 Posts
It seems to me SCX are attempting to take on Scalextric and possibly Carrera head on. The new motor looks like their version of a FC-130.

Here's a Scaley FC-130 sitting in a SCX RK-42 pod for comparison. Notice the new rear axle bushes in the 'pod' too.

post-31234-0-43109200-1551348736.png

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Oh. Hmmm. I thought this might happen, with new folk in charge. I did/do like their RX motors.

I think a change has been on the cards for ages, though. I can't believe the RX was as cheap to buy in as a small can.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
Shame. Boo. I love their old motors. Smacks of the change the UK did in the late 70's when they dropped the open frame RX, the johnson 222 and johnson 111 and went small can. Cars no longer handled well, were too fast to control, near impossible to get round an R2...

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,728 Posts
Looks like the motor that Cartrix used to put in their cars.

·
Dave Capelen
2,773 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the technical spec is of the new motor.

I mainly like the SCX rally cars, so I am not too worried if the new motor is not much quicker.

I hope it has plenty of torque though.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Dave, from reading what you said a thought popped-up, I wonder if this means no more 4x4 motored rally cars... ? The whole RX-8 series motors were a nice alternative to belt drive...

ATB - Bob

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,729 Posts
More lightness 😂 I didn't know lightness was something you could measure...less weight please.
One of my SCX 4WD is my favourite handling car, much better than any belt driven ones. The beauty of direct drive front axle is the freeness of the drivetrain.
Yes less is more but most SCX motors are already less than the rest 😁
Let's hope the AWD isn't going to be a laccy band or Fly flexy drive.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,729 Posts
...and the motor isn't the thing needing changing, get rid of that crappy guide setup with those chicken legs!

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,728 Posts
más ligereza also means lightweight :)

I agree they need to change the guide set up :)

Reactions: Kevan

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm just glad to see them back. Their rally cars were great. If the motor is a bit puny,I'm sure "tuners" will become available.

Puny is a great word..it must mean the other motors kick sand in its face on the beach.

TED..

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
If you have to run stock gearing then SCXs don't often get a chance to shine against other brands. Before we allowed angle winder rally cars into Modern 2WD the Suzuki Swift was right on the pace. But there are more than enough SCX cars to race against each other and the rally cars work really well on short, twisty stages. I'd rather that they kept the RK/RX but would rather have any SCX than none.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts