Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased an SCX Vectra for racing on home track type circuits both plastic and wood. I took it apart today to blueprint it and while it was apart I noticed it had an exessive amount of sideplay in the guide. This wasn't to much of a problem to rectify but that amount of play would reduce its corner entry speed considerably.

The more pressing problem was that this car has been fitted with an RX 42? motor mounted on a cradle the same as the Dome Judd, but unlike the dome judd, this car's rear tyres rub hard an the wheel arches when cornering! Also, because it rubs on the external part of the arch it isn't possible to grind it down a bit without marking the body!. I can't believe SCX has made such an oversight as this!

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Hmmm, kinda puts me off too. Mind, going with the hotter motor puts me right off immediately - can't run it against my Opel Coupes.

I just wish development things like this could stand still for a bit.

Still, guess that frees up some money for one of their new Focus cars - I saw Tibby181's run last week and it looked like it had serious potential.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Although you can glue the cradle in place to stop the tilting, it's gonna be a mission to get a replacement or hotter motor. So I think I will scrap that one too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Phil,

I was just trawling through the old posts and came on this one......

I'm currently doing a review on the Opel Vectra DTM and have experienced the wheel rubbing bizzo.....

....but it can be fixed.

Pop the pod out of the chassis, flip it over and look at the underside of the trailing arms (where the bearings fit in).

You will notice a notch on either side.

Get some old plastic card, cut it to fit, radius the edge that fits up against the bearing a little (so the plastic card and bearing surface mate up OK).

Get some Loctite 480 (used to be called Black Max), glue the plastic card in and let it set.

Then get a small stone in the dremel and hava at it, test fit frequently until you get the desired effect.

It worked out well for me, very neat and tidy, works a treat. You will see two little ridges on the chassis under the trailing arms, the end of the plastic card touches them.

Beats the heck out of glueing her all together!!!!

Seems a shame to let something as beautiful as this go to waste.........

Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guys, I run this car myself. I'd like to comment and add my suggested tune up tips.

Firstly we used to race SCX and Scaley magnet cars against each other on our Artin 4 lane race nights. Therefore we had to establish some parity. Testing highlighted that the RX42 performs the same as the 41, I believe the differences are the longer sprung contact system on the motor/suspension and a longer pinion shaft due to the suspension pod. I found super glueing a piece of paper staple to the suspension travel limiters to be ideal to eliminate tyre rub. On our 14 mtr track @12 volts regulated the car suffers on the straights but corners extremely well. So we decided to allow the Pro Turbo Plus motor for Parity. The car was too fast against the scaley's on our track But matches them well on a mates larger Ninco 4 laner. Running the PTP motor I found limiting the sprung guide travel really transformed the car. Still a brute to drive, but if mastered it's unbeatable.
I'll add pics of my mods asap

·
Registered
543 Posts
RX42 has same performance as RX4. i hadn't noticed the wheel rub. once broke in this car is similar driver to previous SCX DTM cars. excluding the Audi with those small wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Guys,

Part of the reason why I've been messing with this model is that we want to develop a class for them here at Millennium (the boss and the kids want to run lighted models in the evening, so "lights" is what they they will get!).

We also want a sedan class that is cheap to get into, readily available at toy stores in our local area and easy to drive for the kids and new people coming to our track.

At present we only have three DTM models (Scaley Opel, SCX Merc and the Vectra), so I'm not sure which is quickest model available for the class yet.

Which isn't so bad as it gives me an excuse to buy more cars.......

So far the Vectra is a tad quicker than the other two (the Scaley Opel has its mag just in front of the motor), but it is very close, which is good for racing.

I have a SCX Audi here at home that I will be messing around with next, not as detailed as the Vectra, but seems good out of the box....

I recently completed a review of the SCX Vectra, you can see it here:

SCX Vectra DTM

Look forward to seeing some pics on your mods Roland, I'll give it a try on mine......

Best Wishes,

Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts