SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Spotted this in the SCX catalogue which has removable resistor blocks for 45 and 20 ohm, but it has the SCX plug on it (obviously). Anybody know if this is wired for brakes and if so has anyone cut off the plug and converted to the UK standard 3 pin?

Coop

EDIT - D'oh! Just noticed the words "More accurate driving thanks to the electrical braking system"! Other query still stands though!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Coop.

Not really sure what they mean by "braking effect" but I'm sure the SCX controllers are not wired for brakes (there are only two wires like Scaley Classic controllers).

Has anyone pulled one apart to look inside? I really like the quick change resistor idea.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
197 Posts
To clarify the SCX controllers, let me tell that there are two: Standard (no brake, two wires) and PRO (brake, three wires, two resistors -45 & 20 Ohms-).

I've heard some comments in the spanish "Slot Adictos" forum. Almost everybody says the same: for (almost) the same price, you can buy a REAL controller (Parma, Fly, Franspeed...). These kind of controllers last days, if not hours, to fail. Most common problems are: screws that hold resitor, cursor-resistor contact and trigger wire. If you really need one to survive (or you want to test it), try to buy one from Spain, price may drop to a few €uros.

My recommendation: get one for not more than 10€ if you want to test it, don't pay much more. To wire it follow this drawing (sorry, no Scalex connections):

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nep,

Not much chance of getting one from under 10E since the UK price is around £25! I thought the idea of getting two resistors with one controller seemed a good bargain but if the build quality ain't good I'll stay away!

Cheers,

Coop

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're welcome.

By the way, could anybody tell me how Scaley controllers and transformers are wired to add them to this graphic? Thanx.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nep,

The standard Scaley Sport controller is wired the same as the Ninco plug in the pic except the wire (in mine anway) to the resistor is green, not yellow as per the diagram.

Both Parma and Professor Motor sell a controller advertised as fitting Ninco and Scalextric Sport so it would seem right that they are wired the same way.

Cheers

Steve

PS there are a couple of SCX Pro "mandos" on the Spanish eBay site for 6.5 Euros a piece.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, I'm not sure exactly how Carrera connection track is wired, but I have an idea (it might be wrong, be warned).

Taking Carrarca conn. track
-closest wire to the track is trigger (black)
-center wire is brake (red)
-outest wire is top of resistor (yellow / white)

Maybe red and yellow should be swapped, I don't know. If you have a Carrera track look for the rail connections: one is trigger (blacK), other is brake (red).

Hope this helps finding correct Carrera wiring.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oh, yes.

Thanks for your help, Steve. Colors don't follow brand's colred cables, but some kind of "standard" taking Parma controlles. It was done to connect these controllers anywhere.

And "mandos" is the spanish for "controllers". A few months ago "Altaya" publishing company supplied SCX pro controllers (only 45 Ohms resistor) at 5 or 6€.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts