SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an SCX Audi R8 but the slot guide spring is missing can anyone tell me if there is an alternative replacement seeing as SCX can't be bothered
to make spares for there cars

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
try pendle slot sean might be able to help with the correct part other wise maybe the tsrf guide could be made to fit with out too much fuss

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (GRAH1 @ 25 Nov 2004, 17:21)try pendle slot sean might be able to help with the correct part other wise maybe the tsrf guide could be made to fit with out too much fuss
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the reply Graham I've tried Sean no luck there but this tsrf guide seems like it might be worth a try
have you any idea of where I can buy one in the UK or Europe

Cheers
regards Dave

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi d.
If you mean the self-centring spring then the car will run just fine without it. I've got two R8s and one spring sprang before I even knew it was there, never to be seen again. Not a problem.
I once fitted a Ninco guide to one of these cars and it runs okay but there was a lot of cutting and fiddly work needed to get the new guide in. Main reason I did it was to improve the electrical contact at the guide. Never been a fan of the SCX system.
Regards,
Lowrider.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that's correct the self-centering spring.
I'm no fan either if you ask me they've tried to be too clever keep it simple like Slot-it.
The thing is with my Audi the guide tends to hope out every now and then I don't think Tom K. would stand for it
So I really want to keep the guide more stable 'cos it's a bit loose without the spring to hold it in place. I've noticed Cartrix use a simular guide and thought about trying to bodge one of those in it what do you reckon?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hello again d.
I tried to make a replacement spring out of guitar string but I abandoned the idea after 15 minutes or so. Life's too short already.
Whether or not the guide is self-centring shouldn't really have much effect on the handling of the car. The first thing that people do with a new Scalextric car at my club is to remove the self-centre spring. The Scalex one is a bit more ... character building ... than the SCX one though.
In your place I'd look at the front wheels first. Try running the car without front tyres for a while to see if the handling improves. If it does fit some low profile tyres and check that the front wheels and axle are reasonably round and turning freely.
So Tom K. is big in Denmark then?
Regards,
Lowrider.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The handling of the car as such is okay by SCX standards the main problem is that the plastic ring holding the slot guide comes of every now and then I've thougt about glueing it but what do I do when I need a new guide 'cos I bet SCX don't do a spare part for that either
. So then I'm back to square one!!
As regards Tom can you believe he came down to my local bank (where my mate works) with his R8 who are one of his sponsers and my mate forgot to tell me about it
The IDIOT

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Plastic ring holding the slot guide?
I'm sure that my (early) models just had push-in guides and the copper conducting spring thingies just pressed on the top of the braids. Pulling out the guide is what made my centering spring go south in the first place.
Perhaps you could make a simple retaining collar, if that's what the plastic ring does, with some styrene tubing of the right diameter and a self-tapping screw?
A loose guide will definitely be detrimental to your cornering abilities with any car.
If Tom K. brought his R8 down to my local bank he'd cook it in the permanent traffic jam and then get towed or clamped for stopping on the double red lines ...
Lowrider.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bye god it worked

Thanks for your Help Mr. Bugs
I also wondered how on earth Mr. Bugs found this out Lowrider, then I had a look at his web-site
something tells me this was peanuts for him.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My first taste of 1/32 was SCX! I lost the springs constantly!
We all know how awfully unreliable floppy disks are and one day while searching for a good one I noticed this spring on the floor, you see if a disk is bad I crumple it up and toss it in the trash. Well the spring must have fallen out and you guys know the rest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts