SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an scx truck sitting in the parts box (as you do!) and thought it would be a great base for a track cleaner.

Trying to think a little out the box I decided that rather than try and suck up dust, dirt from the track why not just blow it out the way? (This is more an experiment than trying to make something that clears, scrubs and polishes remember) so the search for odds and ends and all stuff useful started!

Basically, I got a plastic box, a computer fan, a highlighter pen and some plastic flexy straws. (Yes, this is starting to sound like blue peter!)
Now, send your parents out the room!

The Truck got stripped down and cleaned up, I added a couple of 12v amber flashing Leds, fitted the box and all the other stuff mentioned above (see the pics below!)
The beauty of using the scx truck is there is loads of room in the chassis to hide the wiring. Its also a good size, unlike the scalextric versions.

The fan and Leds have their own 12v battery as a power supply and there is a small switch on the side of the truck to turn them on.
To be honest the fan could do with being more powerful, but it does work and blow air nicely through the straws to the outlet duct.

On the front of the chassis is a carrera bar magnet (long one) which picks up screws that have fallen in the slot (told you it was multi function!)

Here's the pics, hope you like it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I chose to use a seperate battery so the fan runs flat out all the time.
That way it is at max blow even if you drive the truck slowly.

Also it helps with the flash rate of the amber Leds on the truck, keeps it flashing evenly.

I'll post some more pictures soon, the truck is currently at the club under going testing!

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
You could run the fan off the track - just put some resistors between the pickup and the motor so the motor runs at 1/3 to 1/2 on full throttle and the fan gets the full 12v. No need for batteries then.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Excellent development work, hands on trials. Running from a battery makes a lot of sense to me, to get maximum blast from the fan. Concerned about the lack of a guard for the blades though - ouch.

Kind regards, Leo

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Love it. Looking forward to hearing the testing reviews. Has the magnet got enough oomph to drag screws out of the slot? Seems that's where they always land.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts