SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hi all,

I recently got my first SCX cars, Ferrrari 360 GTCs, one a Modena (silver, 64060) the other Red Bull (blue, 62940). They look identical apart from the decoration but when I took the magnets out, the Modena handles wonderfully and is easy to control sliding round corners but the Red Bull is terrible having much less grip - when I swap the tyres it's the reverse so it must be different tyres. I've sanded & cleaned them but it makes no difference. The only difference I can see is Dunlop is printed on the Red Bull tyres - both cars were brand new & sealed in their boxes. I can't find any reference on the SCX site to the tyres used as you find with Scalextric. So, can anyone throw any light on which types of tyres they are so that I can make sure I get some Modena ones.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chris,
I think you are saying that both these cars are Ferrari 360GTC Modena's... These cars should be on exactly the same tyres, however, the "red bull" was released about a year+ before the silver model. Firstly the tyres may have aged a little and hardened giving lower grip. On top of this, although I am a great supporter of SCX cars, quality control can give issues, especially on cars released years apart. SCX fit a pretty durable but basic rubber tyre which is designed for higher wear with magnet use. Running these cars non-mag will give you fairly unimpressive performance unless you mod the tyres to something like Paul Gage tyres. You should also check hub sphericality and flash on the "issue" car along with axle trueness... they can, rarely, be off causing poor handling. I have both these cars, plus the SCUDERRIA ECOSSE and the Rose Island. I noticed that the last release, the Silver [RTC??] was by far the smoothest out of the box and had a very good motor... the Rose Island had a weak-ish motor. To get replacement SCX tyres, there is a chart available on SCX worldwide.....
It's offline [in the pits... they say] or I would post a link, but when it's back up, have a look the wheels/tyres are the same on all 360's. I re-iterate though, the standard rubber tyres are poor in non-mag config, the pro spec are just softer rubber.... look at Ureathanes for your app.

Regards - HighlanderSCXWW

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Highlander. It's down to the tyres (not the cars) as swapping them makes the Red Bull run much better pretty much like the Silver one (albeit with a rougher motor) so if SCX only use one type of rubber then it must be down to the age difference or quality control. Sounds like Urethanes are the way to go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chris,
No problem, the pro's are OK tyres from SCX but these cars are set up for mag racing. The basics of the SCX cars are pretty good and with a little slot tuning experience will tweak-up to run nice. Best raced as a matched class - hence I have 4 360's. The SCX cars get better with running, a well bedded car will be quiet, smooth and good fun to run. A little car polish or toothpaste on the gears will aid bedding. Lights can be an issue, well worth looking at fitting a resistor... there are threads out there on this topic if you search. Hope they give you a lot of fun. Paul's tyres are really good.

regards - Bob

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
I would swap to urethanes, my hunch is that SCX has changed the compound of their tyres, as I have found variable results as well. There are a number of places that do urethane tyres, look for Ortmanns or Paul Gage tyres.

cheers
DM

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Before buying new tyres, try rubbing a little 3 in 1 oil onto the tyres and letting it soak in, I find SCX tyres respond well to a little oil, the gear mesh is generally tight on SCX cars from new, which is why they get faster and smoother with use.
SCX Pro tyres are very good, as are the SCX pro cars, though SCX's idea of running 10/24 gearing on them isn't so good, 9/27 works much better.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
QUOTE (HighlanderSCXWW @ 30 Jul 2011, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://www.scxworldwide.com/ipb/index.php?...&#entry6123
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 31 Jul 2011, 07:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SCX Pro tyres are very good, as are the SCX pro cars
Thanks. I've searched SCXs site & googled but I can't find the specific tyre size for each car. The info always seems incomplete - I've found "SCX 88130 Tyres (19.5 x 11.7 mm)" and "SCX 87710 Tyres (21 x 12 mm)" and "SCX Rallye 20x10x5" and "50040 Tyres PRO 2 21mm x 12mm" which all look close to the Ferrari 360 Modena size but they don't give a complete list of compatible cars. Also some talk about "type 5 035" etc so I'm lost
In short, does anybody have a link to a table which simply cross references the car and its actual tyre size (or SCX product code).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts