SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kinda embarrasing as I'm about to rant about those cartoony "Vintage" Corvette & Mustang things I'm sure you've all seen with the overscale blown V8 motors hanging off them & teh ridiculously large rear tyres

The boy just went to the dentist for an extraction & while I was in search of more track on the way home (as usual) Chris spotted them & decided he needed them for a present for being brave. I figured why not - then he won't wreck my good ones when his mates come over (..and I'll have some chassis to use once the cars are cactus
).

These things are FUN! They don't take off - I assume the rear wheels do no favours for the gearing, they have no magnets & a high centre of gravity but by golly by gosh do they slide around a lot. I can only judge the quality by the amount of shouting that was going on (and this remember is with a post-dental-tramatic-sydrome suffering 7 yo) but it was loud and these things are FUN!!

I realise these beggars may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you have kids they're the business. Garish, fun to drive & hell - when all the silly splastic bits have finally gone to the great hoover in the sky they'll either make terrific "Speedway" cars or the bits look like they'll pop straight into any old 60's "Triang" scaley shells you have laying about.

I'm a reluctant convert - have a bash with them & let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Eno

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
NOOOO!! Aren't they meant to be cars for the serious collector?
I mean the cars have the older style motors and guides, You can't let PTSD suffering little boys (and big boys) hoon them around the track!

Well, I was going to talk myself into getting one or the other anyway. Glad to hear that they have medicinal qualities

Mark.

·
Registered
480 Posts
As a matter of fact both cars have magnets! The magnet of the Corvette is very weak and has definitely no groundeffect.

But YES, they are fun a lot of fun.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE These things are FUN!
Just like they should be, but don't tell moped as he thinks that things are only worth buying if they will be worth more money in years to come.....

Aaron

·
Registered
197 Posts
QUOTE (Seth @ 20 Aug 2004, 09:12)As a matter of fact both cars have magnets! The magnet of the Corvette is very weak and has definitely no groundeffect.
Seth,

The RX1 motor from Exin (SCX Spain, around 60's) has (had) a powerful magnet, as well as the Team Slot's TS1. I've been testing an UMS from Kelvin Light (UMS means "Unidad Magnética de Slot", Slot Magnetic Unit) and just to have an idea I'll let you know some numbers (the higher the number, the more the magnetic power):

Motor type: UMS reading (in -grams)
Long Mabuchi Motor (NC2/3, Boxer, Fly Evo 2...): 0,5 or less.
Short Mabuchi motor (NC1, 25k/29k, Fly Std...): Between 1 and 3.
New Ninco Motor (NC5/NC6): Between 3 and 6.
SCX/Team Slot motor (RX41/81, TS3/4...): Between 4 and 8.
RX1/TS1 motor: More than 10, something around 15 (highest measurable level).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey there Aaron!

Just occurred to me that we have never seen your track or car collection?

Do you have a track at home and at Gaugemaster? Do you collect and race all slots and what are your favourites? Completely O/T I know but inquiring minds (well mine actually) need to know

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Nep72,

I believe that you're right but the magnet in my Vintage Corvette is one of the weakest I've ever seen. You surely know the SCX Vintage Mini Cooper. The Mini is like glued to the track. It's like day and night!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Seth,

I'm not sure if this might work, but you can try to re-magnetize it, one idea might be adding a couple of neodimium magnets correctly polarised. Oldest RX1 magnets had to be "magnetically shorted" (installed in the motor) or they loose magnetism, I recommend you not to disassemble it.

Anyway somebody with more knowledgement about these motors should confirm these words.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts