SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all slot fans, Now 74 I have just discovered this group and hope someone may help find a magazine or copy of the 1970's Model Car magazine which featured my car. It was on a half page and showed a green Ford Anglia which featured a rewound Wild One motor as a sidewinder with an IDLER gear which gave my scratchbuilt car better F/R balance. We used to race at Fernegair near Hamilton where they had a large 4 lane track where they ran a full 24hr race. We then moved to Linwood where they had 4 lane track in the canteen of the car factory which built the Hillman Imp.

If you have a copy of Model Car from 69,70,71ish please look for my car, it would be great to show my grandchildren who are now Scalextric fans of 6 and 8.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Hi

I have a complete set of the British "Model Cars" magazine, April 1964 - December 1972 which I have uploaded to the "Vintage History in Magazines" section of this forum.

However I can not remember any article such as you described. I am sure that if I had seen it I would have remembered it as a ex-Ford Anglia owner, and currently have 3 slot models of Ford Anglias,

Could it have been in the "Model Cars" section of the magazine "Scale Models" which carried some slot car articles from 1973 onwards.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=210

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
From "Model Cars - January 1968" & "Miniature Autoworld - January 1965"

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
Bob,

I have the complete collection of Model Cars magazine as well....

Do you have any more hints about where it might be? Was it a construction article on your car, or as part of a race report? Any idea of the specific year?

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replies, very hard to pin down dates but may have been earlier. I qualified as a Technical teacher in 1968 and remember running a slot car club in the school so may have had article in 67/68. Popular cars at the time were made by Revel and had adjustable aluminium chassis. We made all our own chassis from brass tube and had hinged pickup arms. Later cars were all ballraced. Most gears were made by Riko, I still have some along with high speed motors. Controllers were MMRC with a third wire attached to a screw on top which gave engine breaking. When I moved to a new school I found out our technician had worked at the Linwood plant and had helped build the track out of hardboard painted with Sandtex. It was an L shape with a flyover and very long straights. We raced in the canteen across the road from the factory and usually had a new 12v battery from the line for every meet. We used rewound Wild One motors cooked with Araldite and shimmed the magnets as close to the armature as possible. The best motors were Pitman 5 pole which were difficult to get and expensive. I was also involved in motorsport as a pit member for a guy who raced his mini at Ingliston near Edinburgh around the time when Jackie Stewart raced as A.N. Other so his mum would not find out. There were also a team called Hartwell who raced two Imps. Rumour had it that someone had built an Imp from parts thrown over the fence. The factory had a club called Apex.

From memory the article was top half on a left hand page. Not sure if the body was shown, it may just have been the chassis with Wild One motor and idler gear.

Thanks for your interest, now looking at Scalextric sets in local auctions and have bought a Jaguar racing set and 2 GT40's. We raced a GT40 in the club 24 hour heats of 6 hours.

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
Good find Dave, that seems to be it - pending confirmation.

I had no idea where to start looking!

Don

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Good find Dave, that seems to be it - pending confirmation.

I had no idea where to start looking!

Don
I had a vague memory of a article featuring a chassis with a idler gear. As I have all my "scans" of magazine on mu PC, while having me morning coffee I just started with December 1969 copy of Model Cars and flipped through the pages until I got lucky.

Yes I do have my computer hard drive backed up on 2 other external drives..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slot Guru indeed. Made an old man very happy and already printed off my archives. Now going to bore anyone who shows any interest. Many thanks to all slot fans for finding my name in print. I still think it was an Anglia not a Zodiac!

Thanks again

Bob Moffett

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Slot Guru indeed. Made an old man very happy and already printed off my archives. Now going to bore anyone who shows any interest. Many thanks to all slot fans for finding my name in print. I still think it was an Anglia not a Zodiac!

Thanks again

Bob Moffett
Glad to be of service. If you would like to let me have your email address, I will send you some higher quality scans.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Memory is a strange thing Bob - that's happened to me too and the only we we find out is to have this kind of factual record to set us straight. I think that every so often a detail slips and the new info replaces the old.

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just remembered, 2 years ago was offered a track by Electric Kart Circuit in Hillington industrial estate near Glasgow. You used to be able to book either the electric karts or the SCALEXTRIC track s a gift. If you are in Dundee this might be worth investigating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.