SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the forum list but can't really see a better place for this request but apologies if it's in an inappropriate place and I will be happy if the moderator shifts it elsewhere.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone knows where I might pick up some old Airfix / MRRC spoked wheels. I run both these wheels and their Scalextric equivalents on my scratch built series but very recently I have changed from Weird Jack Stinson's silicone tyres to Ortmann rubber ones.

Although R.S. Slot Racing have found me tyres that fit both those type of wheel, I find the Scalextric ones are really rather wide for the age of the cars I build. Thus, I want to replace the Scalextric spoked ones with Airfix wheels that will allow me to run narrower, more realistic tyres. The difference between the two is that the Scalextric wheels have a much wider raised section that the tyre fits on to.

Alternatively, there may be another make of wheel that would suit but I don't have the knowledge to know which to go for. I have looked at the Pendle site but without actually holding a wheel in my hand, I wouldn't be sure that it would be exactly what I need.

Ideas, anyone?

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
Hi Barry,

RS also do a skinny aluminium wheel (RSW001) which has a narrow raised surface and will take a skinny tyre, it might suit your needs. Failing that I could probably help with a few Airfix wheels if you are really desperate.

Good luck,

Pete

·
David Farrow
1,225 Posts
Hang on .. whoa.. stop the bus!! Are you back Al…Please say its so..

·
Registered
969 Posts
bwaminispeed Posted Today, 11:42 PM
Yes, I are back. I thought everybody knew......

THANKS, GOD ! (although I am an atheist)

André Acker.

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
QUOTE Barry, have you asked Phil Smith? It's hard to imagine he doesn't have what you want. They might not be listed on his website, but that certainly doesn't mean he hasn't got it!

That's more true than you think! I haven't updated the spares site for a couple of years now, only yesterday somebody was ordering some Viva axle sets and there was only one listed on the site, he wanted two, when I checked I found I had at least half a dozen sets!
Barry have a look on the site to see if there is anything there suitable, if not please give me a call, I am sure I should have what you need.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did look on the site, Phil, but couldn't find anything like the Airfix wheels.

Calling from Malta where I now live would be a tad expensive but we can communicate through e-mail; [email protected]

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
If you are from Malta there's regularly a Maltese seller of Airfix/MRRC stuff on ebay - Hellspawn40.
Apologies if he is you!
Hopefully you are also in touch with the Maltese slot community? Keen guys.
Best Rob

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wheels I seek are the rears from the Sharknose Ferrari that Airfix produced right at the beginning of their slot car set production.

Co-incidentally, I visited the Smokey Wheels Slot Club for the very first time last night. A very interesting evening, the highlights of which were the unbelievable speed of the circuit cars - THREE magnets don't half get you around the corners quickly - and the 24th scale drag strip with cars covered the 18 yard (true scale quarter mile) in not much over a second, reaching actual speeds of 150 mph, or so I am informed.

A very friendly bunch of people but there is nothing there that I would ever want to get involved with. It was just nice to see it and I shall go back again when one of their race meetings is taking place.

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
QUOTE The wheels I seek are the rears from the Sharknose Ferrari that Airfix produced right at the beginning of their slot car set production.

They would be the unchromed red ones, I only have one pair of those that I can find quickly, they are quite scarce, may have more if i search a bit harder!
The later chrome ones I have quite a few of, if these are any use to you.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, chromed ones are what I'm looking for. I forgot they put red ones on the Ferrari. My mistake, but what a strange idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts