SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a non-native speaker I am searching for the name and/or word for the fillers or spacers to be placed on the front axle outside the body on singles seaters to avoid the axle from sliding from side to side.

They are - for example - used on all the Cartrix Grand Prix Legend cars.

If I have managed to describe what I am searching for, some of you may even be able to point me in the right direction where I can order some?

Hope for some help?

/Holger

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
Spacers is the correct word - Slot.IT do some photetched ones that are very good (and expensive) for fine adjustment of spacing. Pendle Slot do their own variety 2.5 mm thick ones. For the front of a single seater I think most people just use 3/32 brass tube cut to length - I've also used heat-shrink tubing to good effect.

Mike

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike - thanks a lot. Spacers is the word.

But 2.5 mm seems very tiny. I am searching for pieces like on the Cartrix cars. They are about 4 to 5 mm long. Doesn´t anybody offer such items?

Otherwise - as you state - I have to do them myself out of brass tube.

/Holger

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Penelope Pitlane do grub screwed spacers so you can adjust to how you want instead of the nearest washer thickness.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MAF - I do not quite get all the words you are typing there (grub screwed? - nearest washer thickness?), but could you help with an article number for these spacers, then I can do my own research on the PP web page.

/Holger

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Holger,

As you are referring to the parts used specifically in Cartrix GP cars you may have some luck searching for ferrules or eyelets.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr. M - ferrules and eyelets? I will go for them. Thanks.

But many strange names for a tiny piece of tube - or pipe :)

/Holger

·
re member
4,181 Posts
Hi Holger

This link to ebayUS might help. I have dealt with this guy before,he is a great trader.

Visit My Website

Another source I remember is Rick Benardo on Slotblog. I have seen him selling these in larger packs but I couldnt see any current listings.

Regards

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Do you have these in Denmark? You can use the sticks as axle spacers.

I put them on the inside of the axle support/bushing.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Holger: Eyelets, as slot-car parts, usually have a lip or flange on one end and the other end may curve inwards. Examples are the little terminals on many motor-guide leads. The lip may be fine for your purposes. At the other end the "tight" part can generally be opened up a little. Depending on the type of metal, however, it may be difficult to shorten these tidily/cleanly.
I don't know the Cartrix fitting, but I'd say "spacer" and "sleeve" are better words for what you want. For 4-5mm or more, as was said above, many folk would cut their own from metal tube. The outside diameter would be smaller and visually better on a GP car than with what are usually sold as spacers. Plastic tube can be used too but, as you'd know, it is generally thicker than metal.
Grub-screwed spacers or "collars" can be useful, fitting one on each side of the chassis to locate the axle (if they don't foul the chassis or body). A grub screw is the tiny headless screw used on many alloy wheel hubs and metal (or metal-bushed) contrates. The "grub" is an insect larva; nothing to do with food.
Rob J

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
do a shop search, i,ve seen exactly what you want, as well as different lengths. i think it might be one of the spanish shops. i make my own out of 3/32 id brass tube, nice and thin. john

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to your all - I now have a bag of words/names to do my research on. And if everything else will fail, I have the lollipop alternative...

A special thanks to Rob J for doing the translation stuff and trying to explain it to a Dane.

/Holger

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (Rob J @ 8 Jul 2012, 07:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know the Cartrix fitting, but I'd say "spacer" and "sleeve" are better words for what you want.

No, they are just like the eyelets you describe only much bigger. Brass tube with a flange one end.

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,435 Posts
Hi Holger
I use brass tube 1/8" with 3/32 internal diameter as mentioned before in this thread and this type of cutter to cut spacers longer than 3mm:
Copper pipe cutter
You might source this type of cutter in your local hardware or plumberware stores,manesmann is a good brand too and not expensive.

I buy brass tube from:Chas Keeling or
ABslotsport

The longest ready made spacers i've found are 3mm long from MBslot #19043 available from Pendle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.