SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have a Carrera track from around 52ft, on a space from 8x8. I have around 26 normal right straights, and around 20 1/60 degrees curves. Have you any track plans? Now I have a lot of 180 degrees curves, and it is annoying. Thanks for all ideas!

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
I don't see any problems with that design, though you might find that a power jumper or two would be helpful.

If you want any advice, I would say don't buy any more 1/60 turns. If you buy any more track, invest in R2/3/4 turns so that you can have a more realistic and pleasant drive. Also, adding borders will help your racing, even with magnet traction cars, but especially if you start to play with gravity traction (non-mag) cars.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That’s not a bad concept, but the single R1’s out there on their own are going to be a bummer to drive. Once you get hold of some other radii curves you’ll be able to make something of that, for example, I think you could swap out that segmented arc on the top right for a continuous R2 section. When I get a bit of time I’ll try to show you how an extra pack of R2’s or R3’s could transform the drivability of that layout. The esses section is actually pretty good use of those R1/60’s and that part would be fun to drive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not an experienced track designer, but, for your space, I think I'd start by laying out the longest straight I could fit corner to corner, and then seeing about joining the ends up with technical curves and short straights in the rest of the space.

·
Registered
583 Posts
if it was possible to make your track longer and narrower,like 15 x 6 or something similar you will get a far greater choice of designs to try .also you will be able to get a decently long straight in , it is very important to get some straight in ,i have one that is 17 foot long and a shorter on 10 foot , i find the 10 footer about minimum needed for a good burst of speed ,the long one is great cos you actually get to see the car open up to full power ,
so longer and not so wide also makes retrieving deslots better ,7 feet is ussually about the max width for reaching from both sides ( 3 1/2 feet each side )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks, if I can get 3/30 or 2/30 curves I'm happy. But here in the Netherlands aren't a lot of Carrera shops, and the shops that there are, ask a lot of money. Now I look of I it can buy second-hand, but nobody give me af reaction. Ik have already 4 1/30 curves

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6 3/30 curves are here $70, and that isn't nu budget now. I'm selling now the 1/60 curves In don't use, and I will never buy more 1/60, U hop that Carrera make more Startsets with 2/30 and 3/30 curves

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I know the feeling, it’s not cheap and there’s none around here second hand either. My local slot car shop had R2 curves available as a single item so I bought a few at a time. But I fell into a trap of progressively buying too many R2 and still have no R3! (well actually, I just have one piece of R3)

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
I live in New Zealand and I have bought lots of carrera track: the shipping is the main killer for the price. But I managed.
So maybe a little trip across the border and you can get all the carrera track you want ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts